Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

rust on bootlid - 2002 S3

Hello All,

Today when closing my bootlid I noticed a small buble of rust on my tailgate. Its the bit which the key goes into, but at the far left of the pannel just before it meets the main bootlid pannel.
    My question is will audi listen to a anti corrosion claim ?

thanks

brian

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Past experience on the forums says no. The part you're referring to is classed as trim and the anti-corrosion warranty doesn't cover it.
    2001 S3 AMK in black - Ambient lighting kit and Aero wipers.
    Is it wrong to love your car more than your girlfriend? - When you no longer have a girlfriend it's fine!

5th Gear

Status
    Exactly the same as me. Went to audi and they said it was trim and wouldn't touch it... Common place for it to rust apparently.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Typical trait of facelift bootlids, cos they decided to make the handle out of metal, no such problems on my pre-facelift, it's plastic haha.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

1st Gear

Status
    How about if the boot is rusting just below where the glass meets the lid?
    Audi S3 2001 AMK, Milltek Cat-Back Exhaust, 18" TT Wheels, Black Leather Recaro, x1 Very Happy Driver

needs to scratch the itch

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-quattro View Post
    How about if the boot is rusting just below where the glass meets the lid?
    I'd say that would be covered as its a main body panel, get yourself off to the dealers and let them have a look.

1st Gear

Status
    how many years does audi's anti corrosion policy last for?? do you need any sort of documents to claim it?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AS3TOM View Post
    how many years does audi's anti corrosion policy last for?? do you need any sort of documents to claim it?
    It lasts for 12 years IIRC, no documents needed from what I can tell but the dealers do try to get out of it sometimes.
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

1st Gear

Status
    cuz i've noticed a small amount of bubbling on the roof next to the roof rack rail. doubt that will be classed as "trim" so worth a visit to audi me thinks!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the replies. Is the trim part easy to remove? it's just I expect I'll need to get it repainted.

thanks

Brian

dan77

Status
    cuz i've noticed a small amount of bubbling on the roof next to the roof rack rail. doubt that will be classed as "trim" so worth a visit to audi me thinks!

i had this on my A3, the guy at basingstoke Audi said it was a common fault and they sorted it with no hassle at all, got a courtesy car for the few days it was in and didn`t have to pay a penny
    A3 1.8T sport, revo stage 1, Forge 007, Green cotton panel filter, TTpedals. . . . . SOLD
    Golf GTTDI 130 . . . . . SOLD

Current 2006 A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line, Revo stage one, chrome pedals, black grill, full interior and number plate LEDs retro fitted cruise control,

S3 Drift King!

Status
    It's 12 years for cars 'built' from 1998 onwards, I say this because you could have a 97 car purchased in 1998 and it won't have the 12 year warranty, no need to worry if it's an S3 though, they are all 1999 onwards.

It's worth trying your luck for the roof rails, but they can refuse on neglected or high mileage cars. I got mine done on my 1999 S3, but I had only covered 52k miles in it, and I purchased mine from Audi Approved, so got it done with very little hassle.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    May not get our A3 done then @ 132k hmmm bugger

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bpascua View Post
    Hello All,

Today when closing my bootlid I noticed a small buble of rust on my tailgate. Its the bit which the key goes into, but at the far left of the pannel just before it meets the main bootlid pannel.
    My question is will audi listen to a anti corrosion claim ?

thanks

brian
    I have exactly the same symptom, on the far right, about a CM^2 patch coming through....

1st Gear

Status
    mines only got 64k on the clock and other than the rust that is starting to appear, the car is in mint condition. definately not an abused example so i think i'll give them a go an see what they say!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's 12 years for cars 'built' from 1998 onwards, I say this because you could have a 97 car purchased in 1998 and it won't have the 12 year warranty, no need to worry if it's an S3 though, they are all 1999 onwards.

It's worth trying your luck for the roof rails, but they can refuse on neglected or high mileage cars. I got mine done on my 1999 S3, but I had only covered 52k miles in it, and I purchased mine from Audi Approved, so got it done with very little hassle.

1st Gear

Status
    You were right, car's currently on its way to Swansway Audi/VW bodyshop to have new tailgate on the warranty
    Audi S3 2001 AMK, Milltek Cat-Back Exhaust, 18" TT Wheels, Black Leather Recaro, x1 Very Happy Driver

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-quattro View Post
    You were right, car's currently on its way to Swansway Audi/VW bodyshop to have new tailgate on the warranty
    Lucky get! Audi wouldn't cover me for mine stating it was part of the tirm and not part of the bodywork....

1st Gear

Status
    Which part of the boot was rusting?

Mine was the actual boot where the window meets the boot lid, where the thin rubber strip is.

I had to show all service history, and any that weren't done by Audi meant I couldn't have any warranty work done.

Went through Stafford Audi though and they scanned my stamps and took images, 2 days later they rang to say I had been authorised to have the work done.

Rather pleasing result to say the least.

Neutral

Status
    My 2001 has a bubble of rust on the bit of trim on the bootlid (not the bootlid itself) if you look at the bootlid there is a section of trim that sits over the rear bootlock. It seems this section on the facelift cars rusts. Speaking with Audi the chap said he had seen this before but it never gets approved under warranty because its considrered trim. He also suggested 60 to prep and spray the little section as he normally did with other clients having their rusty roof's repainted! It's such a shame that the S3's rust in this way.

1st Gear

Status
    My Dad's A4 had that exact bit of his bootlid trim sprayed recently by Swansway in Crewe, cost him 50.