Cooling fan

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
Hello all

My cooling fan seems to come on at pretty random times. It can sometimes come on when ive just started the car up, even when cold. Im pretty sure the thermostat is knackered as the temp gauge shows readings from 70-90. I take it this may have someting to do with it? also, when the fan does come on it only pulses on and off rather than staying on. is this normal?

thanks

If I remember correctly, the thermostat does not control any fans. It controls the flow of water around the cooling system and opens/closes depending on the temperature of the coolant.

What you probably need to check is your temp sender unit, which is a common failure on these cars. The best way to check what's going on is to plug vagcom in and see what readings your temp sender is putting out.

The above are my guesses and I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

i have the same problem, ive been told its the controll unit and will need replacing. expensive from audi obviosly, although it doesent cause any harm, on off on off its ****** annoying i must say! :banghead: