Alloys - Who has wider rears?

Peety

Jumped ship to BMW...
Reaction score
Hi,

Just needed to know what the implications are for having wider rears on a Quattro system?

Any quattro/S3 owners got wider rims at the rear? If so, what problems do you experience?

I was going for 9.5 at rear, 8.5 at front, but my mate said I shouldn't and just stick to 8.5 all round! :keule:

I really wanted a staggered look!!:mad:

Cheers!
P.

mine runs 8's at the front and 9's at the rear and no problems yet to report. the car looks loads better with bigger dish rears. I have kept 225/40/18 tyres all round so the rears are slightly stretched

Cheers Baz!

Anyone else...? Need to be sure, don't want any regrets, especially as I'll be spending a fair amount...

Maybe being a little dim here, but would like to know details as to why alot peeps say "don't do it" ...I can dal with small issues, but don;t major problems arising...

The Mk1 TT Sport (the one with the black roof) had wider rear wheels and tyres than fronts from the factory, so that would imply that it isn't going to cause any problems.

Bugga me....I was thinking the very same thing for my S3.

I'm thinking that as I have the Haldex Performance Part fitted, putting more drive to the rear wheels, wouldn't it make sense to have a wider wheel at the back?

because the profile of the tyre is a % of the width, if you have to much of a differance in width and therefore profile you could have problems.

So long as you have the same rolling radius for fronts and rears, I don't see any problem with wider rears at all with the Haldex system, there is a 2% to allow for tyre wear built into the system I believe. What you do lose though with wider rears is some of the handling, espicially turn in if you run wider rear tyres.

Okay, sounds all good! Thanks!!

If I did go with 18" (9.5 at rears, 9.5 at fronts), what size/profile tryes do I go with? Car will be lowered 40mm.

I would of thought you could get away with 235/40