Interested in A3 Quattro need feedback

I

imported_Jonesy

Hi, I currently own a mk1 Clio 172, and am looking for a new car, the one that interests me is the Audi A3 1.8T Quattro, I would love the S3 but I’m only 21 with 1 years no claims and the 172 insurance is enough as it is, I’ve had a few quotes on the A3 and it is cheaper than the 172!!

I love the Clio to bits but I’m after something different and after being in m8s Reno 5gtt I need a turbo, plus the 4-wheel drive would be nice to have as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A few questions, how fast are they compared to the 172, and how fast are they once chipped will I keep up with s3's? What’s the 4-wheel drive like as I read somewhere that it’s not proper 4-wheel drive like a Subaru’s? How does it handle, as it’s a big car compared to the Clio.

Sorry about the long post, ill probably post back with more questions; just want to find out more about them before I buy one.

Thx, Allan

hiya mate - i went from a pug 106 gti to my a3 quattro. To be honest ive never looked back. The audi will never feel as fast or as raw as the clio but theres so much more to it than that. In my opinion (especially when chipped) they are a very capable car. It makes a massive improvement to driveablility when you have that much torque avaliable to you. They handle ok - better than i think they do really , again its down to the fact that you dont feel like your in a go kart so things never really feel on edge or frantic , that is possibly one thing i miss but as soon as the roads get damp it puts a smile back on my face ! If i were you if you can afford to buy one , get an S3 , the difference in insurance 4 me would have been £15 a yr (yes fifteen) i just couldnt afford to buy a decents3 at the time (im only 23 btw) .Anyway - let us know how you get on !

Oh - and bits dont tend to fall off to easy and they dont rattle over every bump ! bonus ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif