S3 Alarm three beeps...

Gangeyboy1982

cruising in 6th...
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have started my car last two mornings to dreaded 3 beeps from alarm. I recall from a thread a while ago this can mean the batteries are dead in the alarm box. Could someone let me know which ones to buy? If there is a guide floating around that would be brilliant. I refuse to pay £190 to go to Audi.

Also what happens if i remove the box completely? Will the car still have an immobiliser?
:greyrs4:
Thanks Steve.

Hello all,

Have started my car last two mornings to dreaded 3 beeps from alarm. I recall from a thread a while ago this can mean the batteries are dead in the alarm box. Could someone let me know which ones to buy? If there is a guide floating around that would be brilliant. I refuse to pay £190 to go to Audi.

Also what happens if i remove the box completely? Will the car still have an immobiliser?
:greyrs4:
Thanks Steve.

Did you not try a search in the 8L forum for 'alarm'?

You would have found many threads about this including :

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58687

which has all the info you need, including a post on the TT forum with pictures.

Cheers,

Dont bother soldering as mostly the battery acid has leaked on the pcb & its fecked anyway, replace the siren for the updated version for £80ish & do yourself, easy peasy & no longer an issue, I tried finding batteries but nothing suitable, IMHO the cars security is worth the £80ish anyway so dont scrimp on this option mate or you could live to regret it.

The standard alarm must be the most thief friendly one I've ever heard,immobilisers bulletproof though so halfway there.

Dont bother soldering as mostly the battery acid has leaked on the pcb & its fecked anyway, replace the siren for the updated version for £80ish & do yourself, easy peasy & no longer an issue, I tried finding batteries but nothing suitable, IMHO the cars security is worth the £80ish anyway so dont scrimp on this option mate or you could live to regret it.

*** I was advised to buy batteries and mess about soldering :keule:

NHN do you know the part number for the "updated version"

cheers

*** I was advised to buy batteries and mess about soldering :keule:

Well it was certainly worth it for me. ~£8 for batteries and <1hour of work to fix. The acid will only leak out if you leave them in the discharged state too long.

Get the sounder out and take a look and see if the batteries have leaked.

Cheers,

If it really starts to annoy you just take the siren out for the time being. I had the same problem with mine a couple of weeks ago. Bit of a pig to get out but the alarm will still arm as usual, immobiliser will work but obviously alarm will not sound when triggered. Mine wasn't just beeping randomly but I couldn't even lock the car without the alarm sounding instantly so mine had to go. My car lives in the garage most of the time and I dont use it for work so this wasn't too much of a problem for me but I can imagine for most people it would be a real problem. Get rid for now and sort it out later if you can live without a siren for the time being.

obviously alarm will not sound when triggered

Nick I left my windows open on my car and it was 12 foot away from my front room window which was wide open as it was summer and I said to the missus is that Toms (neighbour)
alarm clock going off.....it was that crap and honestly think if its on its way out then upgrade it.

Thanks for the info guys been really helpful. Just popped to Maplin and picked up the batteries. I am happy to know that the immobiliser still functions without the box in. As its a nice day i think i will give this a go today happy in the knowledge if it all goes t*ts up i can still drive the car.

Thanks again Steve....

P.s if all does go wrong could someone supply me with the new uprated part number. cheers:greyrs4:

Right...where the hell is this small black box? Is it next to the subwoofer (on the left) or next to the amp? Photo's would be appreciated. Th:greyrs4:anks Steve

Its underneath the subwoofer next to the central locking pump. Its very tight in there without taking the panel off but I managed to do it somehow. Pull the central locking pump out(This is the thing wrapped in foam). You should have enough slack on the pipes from it to do it without disconnecting. Shine a torch down there and you will see the siren mounted on a bracket. The plug is a right **** to get off without removing the bracket as there is a locking tab that you cant see on the opposite side. To be honest if I were to do it again, I would definately take the side panel off. As you will be refitting the siren again (unlike me who has left it off it ) this is the way to do it and as I said, its a bit tight down there. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Well it was certainly worth it for me. ~£8 for batteries and <1hour of work to fix. The acid will only leak out if you leave them in the discharged state too long.

Get the sounder out and take a look and see if the batteries have leaked.

Cheers,

Not being funny but even if the siren is cac, I'd have much more peace of mind knowing that it does work & even more peace of mind knowing after ******* about with replacing the old one which is a pain in **** that it wont go wrong again, considering I had to do twice I thought sod this & got the newer version, since I did that years back didnt have a problem again, better design overall & much thinner, just remember when you replace for the newer version you must get the nut for it aswell as it has a larger diameter thread & then you have to drill the bracket hole out slightly wider, but hey £70 odd difference in cost if you want to test battery swap method, but if there is any leaking of acid then forget it, get new one.

Look if you know me on AS then you'd know I dont walk away from a bit of soldering, lol, but for me I wouldnt even bother fecking about with batteries, its just not worth it for the saving as what happens if it goes wrong again, what if the siren doesnt work on the day you need it to, IMHO £80 is a tiny price to pay for peace of mind, but good luck mate

If this post appears twice I apologise as the first one seems to have gone awol!!:uhm: Anyway...
Its underneath the subwoofer next to the central locking pump. Its very tight in there without taking the panel off but I managed to do it somehow. Pull the central locking pump out(This is the thing wrapped in foam). You should have enough slack on the pipes from it to do it without disconnecting. Shine a torch down there and you will see the siren mounted on a bracket. The plug is a right **** to get off without removing the bracket as there is a locking tab that you cant see on the opposite side. To be honest if I were to do it again, I would definately take the side panel off. As you will be refitting the siren again (unlike me who has left it off it ) this is the way to do it and as I said, its a bit tight down there. Hope this helps. Good luck.