backdraft turbo kit on your tt s3 a3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to say this Timmy, but your attitude to this problem is wrong, you also refer to Backdraft as Backwoft in the TT Forum thread, and yes, I went through the whole thread and looked at the pictures. I am most certainly a neutral in this, even gave the advice nearer the beginning suggesting a possible new head fitted as quoted above.
I also think I'm not the only one on this site who feels you have issues with Backdraft directly, it's made obvious with the timings of your CAPSLOCK replies, plus you seemed to have sold your car also, so what's the point of this thread?

Seems very much like a finger is being pointed at BD by the OP. But he seems to think that because he hasnt actually said it, its not obvious.

Very strange.

My head says leave them to it-but thats just not possible when a company I am very proud of has been accused of too many things it just isnt guilty of. We are an honest company and we 100% employ honest people.

Credit to everyone here on the forum. When I saw the first post (warned by a forum member) I thought here we go again! However, you guys have had an easy oppurtunity to jump on us and you haven't so thanks.

The only knowledge I have of what actually happened to the car is a threatening email accusing one of my technicians of swapping engine internals. The car was with us the last time for a couple of hours and it takes at least 8-10 hours to remove an engine and rebuild and refit it. I'm sure I would have noticed it. The consequencs of this accusation is the loss of someones job and possible criminal charges. Its just ridiculous.

However, TimmyS3 had always been a reasonable chap and I'm convinced he has just been badly advised. I have seen piston damage on cars just like this with no damage to valves. We had development pistons from Wossner without the right valve cutouts and raced with them for 2 seasons. Ive got the pistons in my workshop. The valves were all perfect. We sell 1.8T engines from stock and have vast knowledge built from the exchange units we recieve.

We weren't given the opportunity to even see the car before accusations were raised and it was impossible to continue. I have now learnt that the car has been sold so it is still impossible to continue. If we were give the opportunity to give a proper assessment maybe we could have helped.

There have been posts aroud about some issues with our BT's. We did have some issues with the mapping on the earlier cars. We now use Revo who have developed fantastic software for our kits with great results. With over 140 1.8T kits now sold I really think we would have had a lot more issues if there was an inherrant problem.

Thanks for your time guys. Hope you can carry on enjoying the forum now.

TimmyS3-I'm always available to talk you. You even have my personal mobile number. I've tried you several times but you dont pick up. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised with the response you get. Just please stop accusing my guys of foul play.

Best Regards
Mark
BDM

Well said BD. It seems that Jimmy hasn't been 100% truthful with us here. The car is sold now and is no longer (from what i've read) in jimmeys posession. There really is no thread here to continue with.

That said i'm not about to give him stick over it, just not worth it & as you've said jimmey is a nice enough chap. He seems to be. :)

BD - You've been very very decent here from what i can see and i'd have no hesitation in using you for my BT upgrade when it comes the time to do so.

People make mistakes, its human nature to do so. I'm no angel either, far from it.

I'm glad this is resolved.

G

My head says leave them to it-but thats just not possible when a company I am very proud of has been accused of too many things it just isnt guilty of. We are an honest company and we 100% employ honest people.

Credit to everyone here on the forum. When I saw the first post (warned by a forum member) I thought here we go again! However, you guys have had an easy oppurtunity to jump on us and you haven't so thanks.

The only knowledge I have of what actually happened to the car is a threatening email accusing one of my technicians of swapping engine internals. The car was with us the last time for a couple of hours and it takes at least 8-10 hours to remove an engine and rebuild and refit it. I'm sure I would have noticed it. The consequencs of this accusation is the loss of someones job and possible criminal charges. Its just ridiculous.

However, TimmyS3 had always been a reasonable chap and I'm convinced he has just been badly advised. I have seen piston damage on cars just like this with no damage to valves. We had development pistons from Wossner without the right valve cutouts and raced with them for 2 seasons. Ive got the pistons in my workshop. The valves were all perfect. We sell 1.8T engines from stock and have vast knowledge built from the exchange units we recieve.

We weren't given the opportunity to even see the car before accusations were raised and it was impossible to continue. I have now learnt that the car has been sold so it is still impossible to continue. If we were give the opportunity to give a proper assessment maybe we could have helped.

There have been posts aroud about some issues with our BT's. We did have some issues with the mapping on the earlier cars. We now use Revo who have developed fantastic software for our kits with great results. With over 140 1.8T kits now sold I really think we would have had a lot more issues if there was an inherrant problem.

Thanks for your time guys. Hope you can carry on enjoying the forum now.

TimmyS3-I'm always available to talk you. You even have my personal mobile number. I've tried you several times but you dont pick up. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised with the response you get. Just please stop accusing my guys of foul play.

Best Regards
Mark
BDM

Honestly I didnt think you guys would respond, apologies if i seemed to be gunnning for you at the start...it wasnt meant to look like that, however given everything that has been said something definately seems very fishy here.... cant see that your an unreasonable company at all:respekt:

Cummon mate your meant to be a financial account manager and caps lock fools you. you got all your clients long the ten year yeh!

Theres no mileage in bringing what i do into this fella - all your gonna end up doing is ******* me off...i merely steered and made you aware about forum etiquette

Tim

I've been sitting in the back ground reading this cause I can't work it out either...I think this thread should now be left... If he still had the car then I could understand he wants answers, but he doesn't... BD have put the ball in his court, but he doesn't answer his phone...not the response of someone that wants answers...a year and 10k miles later, that car could of been repeatedly thrashed to with in an inch of it's life for that duration and eventually said, no more...

I hope he`s told the new owner of these issues ??? It must be dissapointing when something goes wrong with your pride and joy and it sounds like a little info has grown into handbags at dawn.

Without having all the details no conclusion can be drawn so id delete this thread

im half inclined to agree.....even IF there was a communication issue with BD and Timmy, this thread is only gonna end up a war of words which isnt gonna help anyone

Read all this thread hoping I would get something out of it.
I would like that 10 minutes of my life back please....

But on the original topic...can either Mark@BD or anyone else explain how a piston can hit a valve with enough force to score the piston crown but not bend the valve stem?
valve stems are very weak to lateral force and would immediately demonstrate loss of compression in the cylinder. They are also at enough of an angle to the piston crown to ONLY be knocked off centre.

I just can't see how that could happen.

and before we get into another round of handbags...I am not accusing anyone of anything...its a technical question about a hypothetical engine.

if u r looking for a mint engine i know someone who has a seat sport engine, 1.8t, with k04 and everything, not just a standard 1.8t, the special seat sport ones that have baffled sumps and loads of trick bits, i think they were in the seat touring cars, he is after £1500 for it

Don't think you can turn the boost up more than a safe level if Timmy had the Revo map on his S3.
I know I only have preset boost levels to set on mine, and all are considered safe according to the guys at Revo.

Thanks I now know, having spoken to two brilliant mechanics and them seeing the engine, what the problem was. Unfortunatly Mark it is not possible for the valves to be that perfect and the pistons scarred, I think you are just saying that. Secondly I am not accusing any of your guys at all, if anything I would have held you responsible. You are defending yourself but I have never accused you of anything to do with my pistons scarring. The posts I made was for your quality service and knowledge which is my personal opinion gained from my experiences.
good luck anyone

When these BT kits are fitted does it involve changing the pistons ?? i would have thought so.. to me the damge to piston's looks old from the pictures as there's carbon in the damage so could it be that someone perhaps fitted some second hand pistons to keep the price down a bit?? that said though if it was me doing something a little dodgy like that i would have at least cleaned up the damaged area a bit with a file and some wet n dry i i too have seen engines where the valves have hit and yet not bent.. a strange tail to be sure

Nope, pistons do not get changed. And also these kits are on the limit of changing rods as they are the weak part on your cars.

I think they recomend you change them as a matter of course now, but before used to tune them not to run much boost to allow the user to retain oe rods

Right Gents...
This seems to be going nowhere....so I'm locking it - right after I pruns a lot of the ******** and insults out.
Please stick to the rules lads...

It would appear nobody has the answers the OP is looking for...and this is really a matter for the OP and Backdraft and I'm not leaving it to turn into a witch hunt against Backdraft when they have - in my opinion - graciously and politely offered to discuss the matter off the forum.

So that's it locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.