Bump on idle

basscrazy

Reaction score
a while now ive been having a bump on idle like its trying to missfire...I had a coil pack error up so presumed it was that

Replaced coil packs all of them codes gone and its still there?

When driving its absolutley mint never skips a beat but soon as you just idle it has this cough?

Any ideas?

cheers

to give you an idea how well it drives were talking 34.9mpg when driving normally its just as soon as you hit traffic lights etc there it is

Maybe the throttle boddy needs cleaning\aligning? Sorted out my dodgy idle. There are some threads knocking about on how to do it.

if your under the car you can hear it allmost miss its strong enough to hear

throttle body has been cleaned re alined etc about 8 months ago? new maf as well

Would be worth getting VAGCOM to log for misfires. Although as I understood it a coilpack either works or it doesn't and there isn't really an inbetween. Maybe worth looking down that route, or see if VAGCOM throws anything else up!

boost leak somewhere more than likely, check for split pipes under the inlet manifold especially

ray vag com`d my car and said on sheet it was running mint ...

id still not rule it out..... the 1.8T is a weird engine when it comes to lumpy idle

honestly wouldnt have thought so..... the 1.8T just idle crap..... sometimes worse than others due to various things

what else would cause a missfire?

and why would that explain hearing it allmost a clunk when it coughs

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM, HELP!! please tell me did you ever find the cure????? old post i know but im desperate

I too am getting this cough when sitting at lights etc (well not right now as car is at work stripped awaiting repair) want to have a good look and clean under the bonnet see what i find. Want to replace all hoses with some forge ones maybe and will give the throttle body and maf a clean at the same time and just hope this cures it

i had it for ages, had it checked by JBS for a different fault and they found the pipe that was causing it........ pure luck

when you think you've searched this engine there will always be another pipe you've missed :)

i'd try abit of the old redex first might be abit of crap in your injectors. have you had a look at your spark plugs to see if there all the same colour and check the gap's.