Where've I gone wrong?

orion1210

Reaction score
Hey,

Just finished lowering my quattro sport 1.8T last week with the eibach prokit. Went in for an MOT yesterday, which ended up having the offside front CV boot being changed. It now drives with a 20 degree offset in the steering wheel, but tracks perfectly straight if hands off. I'm sure it was ok after I'd done the springs as I drove it 40 miles home and then to MOT, but it was dark.

I've been over everything I've touched three times and cannot find anything out of place, the ride height is the same both sides etc. Been through what the mot place has done also and can't see anything.

Any suggestions??

My sisters polo had this problem when the splines on the nearside driveshaft were wearing....may not be the case for you but just a suggestion...Hope you get this sorted mate!

Doesn't sound right to me, I would ask them to check what they did. If it was straight going in then I doubt its anything you have done.

Did you get the wheels aligned once you finished fitting the lowering kit? Lowering the fronts will affect the toe (as well as camber etc) and this will make your steering wheel go like that.

I fitted my Eibachs and B8's Friday and when I took it to the garage to get it aligned they had to set the toe before the machine would read.... it was that far out!!!

<tuffty/>

I would bet they dropped the bottom balljoint by undoing the bolts that hold the joint to the lower arm. The arm is slotted and if theydidnt realie this and just stuck it back in your toe/and or camber could be out

Ahhh, using your newly found A3/S3 front suspension skills I see :rock:

If you haven't had your alignment done prior to your MOT work and they have faffed with the joint at all then that would explain why you have this issue. I would advise you getting the wheels aligned as soon as you can as you stand a fair chance of your tyres wearing prematurely.

Not sure if the A3 wishbones are adjustable/slotted, the S3 ones certainly are (as Mark knows, he helped me do my suspension Friday).

Thanks guys.

Not had the alginment checked yet. The 1.8t sport suspension is a little different to the S3, not able to adjust (mess up) the camber as only one position available as far as I could tell. But like you say could be the toe... although it doesn;t pull to one side hands off.

I took a look at the lower ball mount, just three holes, don;t think they're slotted so don't think thats the issue. Will take it back to them on tues and let you know the outcome.

Another thing i noticed was the use of a cable tie instead of a metal clip on the new CV boot, would you be happy with this??

Thanks again

Thanks guys.

Not had the alginment checked yet. The 1.8t sport suspension is a little different to the S3, not able to adjust (mess up) the camber as only one position available as far as I could tell. But like you say could be the toe... although it doesn;t pull to one side hands off.

I would still advise this, as the suspension lowers it will pull on the track rod ends a bit and pull your toe out, you will get tramlining effect where you will need to fight the steering a bit more to keep it straight especially on poor roads, you will also find yourself compensating more by steering away from the camber of the road. Excessive toe either way will eat tyres.

I took a look at the lower ball mount, just three holes, don;t think they're slotted so don't think thats the issue. Will take it back to them on tues and let you know the outcome.

Pretty sure you are right here, I am pretty sure they undid the nuts to the ball joint, ElsaWin suggests this as the way to undo the strut from the wishbone, saves the risk of splitting the ball joint rubber boot. You should be able to see whats been disturbed as alot of dirt collects on the threads so if any are clean then its been undone recently.

Another thing i noticed was the use of a cable tie instead of a metal clip on the new CV boot, would you be happy with this??

I wouldn't be and I doubt its a genuine CV boot kit if thats the case. My local garage did this to my A4 and within a week it had come off again and all the grease was everywhere. I insisted they use the metal bands on them and it was sorted.