Hazard lights with a mind of their own and ESP issues

V.I.P_UAE

Reaction score
As above, the other morning I got a knock on my door at 6am by our security guard and he said my hazard lights were on, I went to the garage and lone behold they were flashing away, I dont remember leaving them on! anyway, just turned them off and forgot about it. Driving last night and they came on, I kept turning them off but they would just come back on straight away, took to Dealers this morning and on the way they went off and stayed off, seem to be working fine again. Dealer looks at me stupid like im making it up.

What could this be??

And the second problem is ESP works fine and then after 30 mins of driving the ESP light comes on and I cant turn it off.

Any ideas would be great as these things are driving me mad!

Thanks guys

Hazards could be a dodgy switch/relay, the flasher relay is built into the switch IIRC. My ESP light would come on when I had problems with my MAF, VAGCOM or delear to read the fault codes mate will tell you...

<tuffty/>

theres a number of reasons for the ESP light, some relate to sensors and dont always show on vag..... bets vaging it as tufty said , if theres nothing showing then you'll need to gauge when it comes on and how frequent

1st hazard lights issue
I had this and spent a considerable amount of money trying to get it diagnosed by auto technicians to no avail even replaced the hazard relay/switch.
The ECU for the car sits in the centre of the windscreen and where the water drips off the windscreen it runs directly onto the plugs for the ECU, normally not a problem.

On my car the engine management plug was dry as a bone but the other plug (I think the larger of teh two) had obviously been taken off at some point and the seal had rolled back slightly allowing water to get into the connector which was causing lots of problems but mainly this hazard light issue.
I suggest you be VERY VERY careful taking these plugs out it had corroded the pins on mine and three of them snapped off, the correct procedure to sort this is a new ECU at £700+, so instead what I did was bypassed the plug with these three wires drilled a hole in the BOTTOM of the ECU casing and ran wires through that and soldered them directly to the circuit board and then joined them into the loom, my seal was split from being rolled back on the plug I had to buy a whole new plug from Audi at about £15 just to take the seal off and was then very careful about putting it back and also sprayed some wd40 in there to prevent further problems.

Since doing this the car has been flawless (beware if left my car was cutting out due to it thinking the crash sensor had been activated as that side of the ECU runs all the airbad systems etc)

2nd traction light, does it come on with the ABS light as well ?
If so it is a well documented and common fault do a search on these forums bud.

Yep change hazard relay/switch. Then if that doesnt fix it then could be as bad as Effect's problem.

Re ESP: get fault codes read and then you can come on here as this has been discussed loads. Probably just a shoddy sensor. If it comes on with ABS light then it will most probably be an ABS sensor, if it some on alone it will be a ESP sensor.

On that note I have a brand new hazard/relay switch here that I bought and didn't cure the problem. :)

Guys, thanks for the help. Changed the Hazard light/relay switch. fingers crossed should be ok. Hope it dosent turn out to be the same issue as yours was effect!

ESP comes on after driving for 20 mins, I can switch it off and on before that and it works perfect, then light comes on and switch does nothing??

The ESP light is acting as a warning to a bigger problem, get the fault codes ready my friend and start from there. As benr said it could be any one of a number of things and without a check using VAGCOM or similar then you won't know where to start. Mine was related to probs I had with my map and was the MAF causing the ESP light to come on.

I think the ESP light comes on when the ECU detects a sporadic issue but the CEL comes on if its a little more terminal.

i have the same problem with the hazards flashing on and off and they do the same when the car is running, also the passanger airbag light near the interior lights flicker as well but everything seems to work fine locks unlocks ect

:blackrs4:

hazards could be the same old problem where it needs replacing £30 but airbag problem needs vagcom on it,look at the vagcom section for a member near to you to scan.

hazards could be the same old problem where it needs replacing £30 but airbag problem needs vagcom on it,look at the vagcom section for a member near to you to scan.
hi how do i find the vagcom section or the nearest person

cheers carl

hi there again everyone i have a bit more info on my problem with hazards and air bag light.
right if the airbag switch is set to off in the glove box the hazards come on by themselfs all the time, if you set the switch to on, the hazards dont come on by them selfs anymore but the airbag light near the interior light flickers. any ideas anyone cheers carl

:think: