1.8T Engine types & results from a Re-map!?

Mr.G

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking into a Re-map. Need some advice here lads!

My question is, looking at various data i've trawled through via the internet etc the AMK engine and BAM engine are identical. Is the only difference the boost pressure upped a little to produce the 225Hp over the 210Hp for the AMK.?

Is it possible to see better results from a mapped AMK as the horsepower gains are more taking into consideration the 15Hp extra that the BAM has ontop of the AMK. Are both engines capable of the 270 "ish" Hp remap??

So hypothetically in total the 225 would be capable of say 270Hp an increase of 45Hp.

The AMK hypothetically capable of the same 270Hp giving an increase of 60Hp.

Am i on the right lines here or am i totally off the mark???

G

Apparently both engines produce the same once mapped

The AMK engine is getting the full power upgrade, whereas the BAM engine is just getting the remaining amount of the head start it has from the factory. I think there are some slight differences to the VVT system between the two as well but nothing major.

Mines a 210. I too was unsure about it but am glad i did. The standard car is so sluggish in comparison.

Yes so i think its simply ecu programming that creates the 225bhp.

in 2002 they decided to give the S3 full honours!

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently the turbo's are slightly different and the maps to suit.

G

I thought all S3's had the KO4 turbo installed?

My understanding is that the AMK & BAM engines have very slight internal differences such as the Gudgeon pins (whatever they are).

But, both will map to around the same level regardless.

All S3's have a K04, the gudgen pins are larger on prefacelift engines IIRC (can't remember the engine code off hand) 20mm rather than the 19mm in the later engines.

Maps are the same as far I know for AMK and BAM but I think earlier engines don't have a wideband O2 sensor or a MAP sensor so they would be different...

<tuffty/>

Gudgeon pins are the pins that go through the pistons holding in the conrods are they not?

That would have no difference in power figures, making them stronger maybe but not power.

The inlets on the turbo's are slightly different i think, not 100% sure though but from speaking with various companies they seem to think that the K04 is slightly different between the BAM and AMK, maps will be different also according to sources.

G