S3 Torque value?

Naresh

Reaction score
Hi can someone tell me how much torque a stock 225 S3 develops and what this value increases to once chipped?

I had mine AmD'd and it was something like 217lb before and 304lb after.

Mines a 210bhp S3.

Hope this helps

Rich.

I daubt whether that's correct:
S3 210bhp has standard a torgue of 270 nm = 199 lbs/ft
S3 225bhp has standard a torgue of 280 nm = 206 lbs/ft

299.9 lbs/ft = 406.5 nm which is quite a lot when you only have it chipped.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine runs at between 315 and 330lb every day..

This is 1.85 - 1.89 bar of peak boost.

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:

I daubt whether that's correct:
S3 210bhp has standard a torgue of 270 nm = 199 lbs/ft
S3 225bhp has standard a torgue of 280 nm = 206 lbs/ft

[/ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what the figure says, it is still a 80 lbs/ft increase. You say a standard 210 S3 produces 199lb/ft... add 80 which gives you 280lb/ft.

Give or take 20lbs/ft for creative licence on the rolling road! AIn't that far off!

here some figures from MTM

mtmstages.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Naresh said:

How would you guys compare driving a powerful turbo-diesal over an S3, acknowledging that fact that the S3 225 has a superior BHP to the Tdi engines?

[/ QUOTE ]

A decent TDI, like a Golf GT TDI 130PD has as much, or more torque, as an S2 but a very limited band with which to deliver it...the additionasl rev range of the S3 makes it, for me, a nicer casr to drive.
But, a well driven PD will leave even a chipped S3 standing on middrange overtaking as the power delivery of the PD is more immediate...you just have to change gear quicker.

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
I think 80 lbs/ft increase is about right according to all figures posted on this site but as implied by Naresh the increase is not constant whatever the rpm.
better talking in percentage of increase, that would reflect more what is happening

[/ QUOTE ]

And let's not forget that one tuners dyno proven 270BHP / 300 lb-ft is not the same as a different tuners dyno proven 270BHP / 300 lb-ft.

Let's just say that I've driven a few...and it they've got 300 lb-ft of torque, they must be using the new European 'lightweight' lb and very weak horses as their benchmark!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
And let's not forget that one tuners dyno proven 270BHP / 300 lb-ft is not the same as a different tuners dyno proven 270BHP / 300 lb-ft.

Let's just say that I've driven a few...and it they've got 300 lb-ft of torque, they must be using the new European 'lightweight' lb and very weak horses as their benchmark!

[/ QUOTE ]
You talking about my car Glen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:
here some figures from MTM

mtmstages.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, MTM cars produce above what they claim too...

Let's not forget that peak torque is directly proportional to boost...wind up the boost, torque goes up proportionally.
Not so with power...the turbo still struggles to move enough air at the top end of the rev range...so you can wind up the boost as much as you like...what the turbo's flat out, out's flat out...and you'll get precious little more top end power!

The con rods are the limiting factor on the 1.8Ts...much over 1.5bar peak and there have been instances of bent conrods...later cars apparently have smaller small ends than earlier cars...and hence the earlier engines are able to reliably produce more torque.

You can simply crank up the boost...but as we know, the temperature increases in a big way...temperatures of 70+ degrees after the crappy twin ICs are common....at this point i'd be more worreid about popping something, that anything else.

With the correct intercooling, ignition timing & fuelling there is no reason why boost of 1.8+ bar can't be used...how safely? Well, that's up to the owner.

I run 1.7 bar peak as a basic minimum everyday...and have been doing so for over 2 years...I have run as much as 1.89 without issue.
Would I run that everyday? Probably not. I don't want to be the one that finds out how much boost the conrods will take!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll do as a fine example!
I'm sure you will agree that on papar your AmD plot and my Star Performance plot are very similar with regard to peak numbers.
Not so, on the road though, eh?

This illustrates the point that dyno graphs can be made to show anything the operator wants them to, or anything they think the customer wants to see.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll do as a fine example!
I'm sure you will agree that on papar your AmD plot and my Star Performance plot are very similar with regard to peak numbers.
Not so, on the road though, eh?

This illustrates the point that dyno graphs can be made to show anything the operator wants them to, or anything they think the customer wants to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to say my car is slow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[Are you trying to say my car is slow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No Grant. If I wanted to say your car is slow, I'd say it's slow.

You'r car is not slow.

But compared to mine it feels like someone's stolen the turbo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

Leave my car alone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any more of your anti-English [censored] and it's not just your car we'll pick on!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not anti-English Glen... I just love how the media hypes up the English football team then claim they were unfairly robbed when they lose!

Keep it to the proper forum!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I would never say my S3 is fast.
I've driven / been in properly fast cars...my S3 is not one of them.

It is very quick however, and in particular, considerably quicker than ImolaS3's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what cars do you consider "quick".

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I would never say my S3 is fast.
I've driven / been in properly fast cars...my S3 is not one of them.

It is very quick however, and in particular, considerably quicker than ImolaS3's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what cars do you consider "quick".

[/ QUOTE ]

i consider proper quick cars ones that make me giggle when they accelerate, and ones that you cant pull yourself forqward when accelerating too. Rams S4 is one of those cars! The brut force of 450bhp and 490lb/ft is simply awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I'd say you're right Rich..
Properly quick is one that you'll giggle away whilst driving as you make good progress.

Fast is one that defines your perception of speed...so mind bogglingly quick from point to point that you can't really understand it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I'd say you're right Rich..
Properly quick is one that you'll giggle away whilst driving as you make good progress.

Fast is one that defines your perception of speed...so mind bogglingly quick from point to point that you can't really understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly is perception of speed and what your used to! Some of my frinds who either dont drive or drive slow *** cars think my A3 is amazingly fast! To me its just plain slow now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

It certainly is perception of speed and what your used to! Some of my frinds who either dont drive or drive slow *** cars think my A3 is amazingly fast! To me its just plain slow now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem Rich...
As you go through life getting faster and faster cars, or as you modify cars for more performance, you get used to them. And lets be honest...you A3 IS a quick car.
My mum's 1000cc Fiat Panda used to be like a rocket ship to me at 17, just after passing my test.
My S3's still like that to my other half...
But to me, it's quick, sure.

BarryRS4's (previously BarryRS6!) RS6 was a FAST car...I'm quite sure his current RS4 is too.
Next to them, my S3 feels tame. So, as you say, it's all about perception.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem Rich...
As you go through life getting faster and faster cars, or as you modify cars for more performance, you get used to them. And lets be honest...you A3 IS a quick car.
My mum's 1000cc Fiat Panda used to be like a rocket ship to me at 17, just after passing my test.
My S3's still like that to my other half...
But to me, it's quick, sure.

BarryRS4's (previously BarryRS6!) RS6 was a FAST car...I'm quite sure his current RS4 is too.
Next to them, my S3 feels tame. So, as you say, it's all about perception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately! Thats why the faster you get, the faster you want to go... simply, the power is never enough!

Rich