17" or 18" alloys

kip

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined this site lots of info and help.Im thinking of upgrading my standard 1.8t 16" alloys and im looking at rs4 repos. Cant make up me mind on size through. Also I have heard the 18s can easy buckle and the ride is a lot firmer. The roads are crap where i live so i thought 17s wanted to know peoples opinons.

Thanks

18's all the way. look so much better and the difference in ride aint that much imo.

I have 18's and they are fine... however (shameless plug alert) I do have some 17" RS4 reps for sale and it would be rude not to mention them... that said... 18's for the win :)

<tuffty/>

I'm ordering some RS4 reps this arvo for my 2000 A3 1.8T. I decided on 18's because they will look a lot better, the 17s are only an inch bigger than standard to the difference wont be that much.

I'll let you know how they get on when they turn up tomorrow:arco:

Worried about it looking a bit daft untill it gets its 40mm drop though!.

Yup, 18's look much better than 17's!

Heres a pic of my RS4s with a 40mm drop :)

605ab0f355d6df81d002f5aef92448ab4g.jpg

39e6f61b97f3bd16d24c2d59920e5ac14g.jpg

Def 18's are the way forward. 17's look too small now a days!

id go for the 17`s. just way up the diff in price for the tires long term.

heres some pics of mine with 17`s RS4 reps on 40mm drop full suspension.

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

I'll just get my binoculars out, I can't quite see your wheels ;)

Just fitted my 18's and I have to say Im glad I went for them over the 17's

I'll post some pics later for you.

T

Monster truck :laugh:

Well I was going to wait till I got my car dropped 40mm before throwing mine on but I couldnt resist.....

T

Tom is yours a 4x4?? LOL.....only messing mate, get the pics up, I want to see the before and after pics...

17's Are cack look way too small, 18's all the way..!

Unless your going mega low and wide 17's then forget it!

J

Tom is yours a 4x4?? LOL.....only messing mate, get the pics up, I want to see the before and after pics...

Heres the standard rims.....

n627580617_380310_4211.jpg

New ones arriving...

3346398373_34a47826bc.jpg

Given a good sealing before fitting...

3347241962_930e1bef68.jpg

First one on...

3347910370_9c774e80aa.jpg

Next one...

3347918020_8173dcc66c.jpg

All in all I'm really happy with them, cant wait for it to be lowered now...will be getting dropped 40mm in the next week or so...

3346412757_5e5c27eaf7.jpg

Its not too monster truck but its still defying gravity too much for my liking!

T:)

awesome choice of wheels Tom, I'm really liking the new style RS4's, they suit the 8L nicely

Looking good, I'm running the exact same rims at the moment. As Nick says they go really well with the 8L.

Enjoy!

J

what a difference a new set of wheels makes. looks good there mate

Cheers guys, the standard wheels have been bugging me for the last 2 years now so these are well overdue.

Roll on when it gets a smack with the lowering stick.

T

Wow, you boys take your wheels to heart thanks for your replys.
Anyway the 18s do look the part but would it be fair to say whichever size rims I choose the ride height would be have tobe dropped by 40mm?,
other wise the car would look naff. If so how much work needs tobe done. Is it a case of just chopping down the springs?. I dont know to much about the quality of repos, only they are alot cheaper than originals There is a site called wheelbase and I like the look of the gun metal finish 18 rs4 which would hopefully would suit my black A3. If I do the upgrade how would I get out of trouble if I got a flat?.

Thanks again fellas.

. Is it a case of just chopping down the springs?.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Never cut your springs!!!

if your going to shell out £300 plus for wheels, do yourself a favour and buy a complete springs and shocks kit. think of it as a investment. you wont have to worry about them for a looooong time afterwards :)
not to mention its just the chav way to buy springs an leave them on standard shocks. why not upgrade the lot.

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/a3-8l-springs-shocks-c-1924_1925_2110.html?page=2&sort=20a

nuff said.

Tom, the car looks sweet mate, those wheels make a huge difference and it look stunning, cant wait to see it when its lowered, will look wicked!!!

Kip - NO WAY!!!!!

Get proper spings, and if you want to go the whole hog, shocks as well, but dont whatever you do chop the springs!!!

:blackrs4:Ok could someone let me know what make of spring kit I should go for?.
I take it there are a few on the market these days.
A rough cost what you guys paid. I reckon I will go with new shocks too.

Thanks

Tom, the car looks sweet mate, those wheels make a huge difference and it look stunning, cant wait to see it when its lowered, will look wicked!!!

Kip - NO WAY!!!!!

Get proper spings, and if you want to go the whole hog, shocks as well, but dont whatever you do chop the springs!!!

Cheers buddy, its booked in for next week!. Not looking forward to the bill though, I'm getting new ARBs, wishbone bushes, rear axle bushes, full wietec kit and cambelt and water pump done!.

T

Wow, you boys take your wheels to heart thanks for your replys.
Anyway the 18s do look the part but would it be fair to say whichever size rims I choose the ride height would be have tobe dropped by 40mm?,
other wise the car would look naff. If so how much work needs tobe done. Is it a case of just chopping down the springs?. I dont know to much about the quality of repos, only they are alot cheaper than originals There is a site called wheelbase and I like the look of the gun metal finish 18 rs4 which would hopefully would suit my black A3. If I do the upgrade how would I get out of trouble if I got a flat?.

Thanks again fellas.

Seems you're in the same boat as me chap, this is what I'm currently doing to my car...

18" x 8" RS4 reps with ET35 offset - these are fitted to a standard car at the moment so in the pics is what yours will look like if you went for 18"s. As for the quality of mine, they're fine. I had a good look over them before parting with any cash but Im happy with waht I got. They're a good finish and look great, I went for the bright silver for mine although they are a gunmetal finish on the inside of the wheel which looks cool. As for if I get a flat I've kept my standard spare in the boot, I'll just stick that on if I get a puncture.

I've done loads of reading up on what spring kits to go for and I've found that a nice balance between cost and quality is the Wietec kit. I'm going for a 40mm drop and its a complete kit with shocks and springs. I'm also having thicker anti roll bars fitted at the same time so its all getting done at once. Should be a bit of a go-kart once all thats fitted. The standard cars never handled all that well, it rolls too much and its a bit soft when you're pressing on etc. I'm hoping the new bits will sort that out for me.
The Wietec kits costing me £460 fitted with a full on 4 wheel alignment afterwards and thats at Midland VW in Cannock (really helpfull so far over the phone and email). Sure, I could leave the stick suspension on it but its more for the handling than looks that I'm going for. 17's on stock shocks look alright but if you buy them you'll wish you went for 18's. A3's look the mutts nuts on big rims and dropped down a bit, far FAR better than the Golf and Leon etc.

Finally....

DO NOT CHOP SPRINGS, IT IS VERY BAD AND A SHOCKING AWFUL BODGE THAT SHOULD NEVER EVER BE DONE!!!!. IF YOU DO IT YOUR EYES WILL FALL OUT!!.

Have a look at some of the Koni kits, they're a bit cheaper than the Wietec ones. You could spend a fortune or you could spend very little on springs and shocks. All I'll say is that you get what you pay for, I've tried to go for middle of the road stuff as I dont have a bucket full of cash to splash on it. I'll try to get quality stuff though, after all its your car and I dont think you should be tight with money when it comes to big components such as springs and shocks etc.

T

Thanks chaps,

Might end up getting the Wietec kits. Tom give us some feedback when you get yourn sorted mate.

Cheers Kip.

Thanks chaps,

Might end up getting the Wietec kits. Tom give us some feedback when you get yourn sorted mate.

Cheers Kip.

Will do mate, its booked in for the 23rd to get fitted, as well as the new anti roll bars too.

I'm off up to North Wales the following weekend so it'll be a good test, motorways and fast twisty A roads so I'll let you know how it gets on.

T

can you post some more pics of your 8l with the new RS4 rims on please tom, thinking of getting a set and not too sure how they're gonna look
cheers
nick

can you post some more pics of your 8l with the new RS4 rims on please tom, thinking of getting a set and not too sure how they're gonna look
cheers
nick

I only have the ones I've already posted for now I'm afraid.

T

Got some more for you, I decided to fit some OEM mudflaps to it as the new wheels were flinging a bit of crud up onto my nice clean paint :sadlike:

3362757652_e318371234_b.jpg

3361943275_c75758d204_b.jpg

3362761220_c78bcb39f1_b.jpg

I think the new RS4's look great on the A3, they'll look better on Monday though.

T

Looking nice mate.

What shocks are people using (fluid or a gas type) ?.

Looking nice mate.

What shocks are people using (fluid or a gas type) ?.

Currently its on the standard 1.8T Sport suspension at the moment. From next Monday it'll be rolling on a Wietec springs and shocks which will drop it down 40mm, it'll also have KW antiroll bars too.

I'll post some pics when its lowered.

T

Hello again all,

Well since this posting I took the plunge and dropped the car by 40mm using the weitec kit and went for the older mk1 18" rs4 gun metal finish replica wheels. Best money I have spent on it since I have owed it, drives the nuts and looks great. Thanks for everyones input helping me make up me mind. I will post a pic soon. Only down side is the cheap looking centre caps supplied with the wheels. I would like to get the oem audi centre caps but audi cant tell me if they will fit and of course they would have to order them in at my cost if they dont fit. They are not cheap either. £20.00 + each so does anyone have the oem caps on 9 spoke rs4 reps and is their other sources out there apart from ebay where I can get hold of them?.:thumbsup:

Cheers Kip.

Hello again all,

Well since this posting I took the plunge and dropped the car by 40mm using the weitec kit and went for the older mk1 18" rs4 gun metal finish replica wheels. Best money I have spent on it since I have owed it, drives the nuts and looks great. Thanks for everyones input helping me make up me mind. I will post a pic soon. Only down side is the cheap looking centre caps supplied with the wheels. I would like to get the oem audi centre caps but audi cant tell me if they will fit and of course they would have to order them in at my cost if they dont fit. They are not cheap either. £20.00 + each so does anyone have the oem caps on 9 spoke rs4 reps and is their other sources out there apart from ebay where I can get hold of them?.:thumbsup:

Cheers Kip.

Good stuff, mines on a 40mm Wietec kit and its the balls. Did you change your anti roll bars too?, I got some KW ones put on mine and its so sweet to drive now.

T