Another lowering/handling post

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
I emailed AMD, asking what suspension mods they would recommended to reduce understeer and generally sharpen up the handling. They replied with an H&R lowering spring set, this lowers the ride height by 30mm, and only cost £390+VAT

I was wondering what the people "in the know" thought? I am a bit concerned about ride quality, and when lowered by 30mm, speed bumps!! Does anyone have this setup?
Is there anything else anyone would recommend? I don't mind spending a bit more, but am on a very tight budget.

P.S. Looks are not a priority!

£390+VAT for just a spring kit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

I assume so, to be honest my only knowledge comes from reading this forum!
Basically if anyone could help me decide what the best suspension set up for around £500, it would be very useful. And is it worthwhile doing at all, for £500 can you get that much improvement over standard?

Reducing understeer being the main aim.

From your number plate on you car, I can see your S3 is a Y reg... 2001?

I would recommend changing the dampers and the springs.

£390+VAT is very expensive, considering to buy the springs is about £170.

For £600 I got Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers and Eibach Pro springs. Price included VAT and fitting!

Shop around. Contact your local car accessory/performance centre and ask them about about suspension kit for an S3. Although the fitting will always be a killer. Try local garages for fitting prices. Remember though, you need to get the geometry setup afterwards as well! A 4WD laser aligned setup will be £90+VAT from your local dealer.

Thanks mate.

Where did you get that from, £600 inc VAT and fitting seems a good deal!

What do you think about your new setup? how does it compare with the original? How is the understeer?

I got that from a local car performance centre called Checkpoint in Aberdeen. The sales assistant matched internet prices and offered to fit it for £50.

Haven't really had a good blast in it yet. I went out for 10 minutes the evening I had it fitted and it felt very good.

As for understeer, haven't really found out yet as it has been p!$$ing down here for th last few days. Hopefully it will clear for the weekend so I can go for a real blast!

I've got H&R coil-overs, they were £850 plus another £150 for fitting. But they are worth every penny! They vastly improve the ride and handling of the car, and the comfort is just as good if not better than the originals.

They are adjustable and I had them set as high as possible, which gives a drop of about 25mm. I haven't had any serious problems with ground clearence, you just need to be respectful of speedbumps.

Dan

Change suspension, while your at it get the toe and camber settings adjusted. Then get a new uprated set of ARBs.

Doing it all at the same time means you only have to get the geo done once, it will also save you a few hours labour costs.

That will dramatically improve the handling of the car.

great thread going, here loads of info, I've had H&R springs stting in there box for nine months now, the delay in fitting has been due to the lack of any halfway decent tuner in Dublin and I'm not sure if I can just put in the springs without a damper change I've been told this would make the ride very choppy.

Ideally I'm going to make the trip to AMD and get 270bhp remap, brembo GT brakes and suspension done, the set up Ess Three has sounds amazing, I love my S3 to bits but if I could just get rid of the understeer it'd be the best car in the world.

Does anyone know what's the best thing to do with H&R springs in the mean time while I get some cash together?

would just fitting them in place of the standard ones be a bad idea?

cheers for the info guys, top stuff.

Paul

Black 02 225 S3

p.s. I dj in Spirit in Dublin, I have a few cds from the club some of you mite like, is there any way to upload the mix to the site?

I too love this forum not that i say alot, but the guys on here so helpful!!

Imola you and Ess Three have everyone copying you?? You are the test dummies!! Lol!!

Great forum keep it up!!

I can see me wi that same set up Eibach/Bilstein!! would it be same part no.s for my S3 225 2003

Thanks

Mark
St.Andrews
Fife!!

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:
I too love this forum not that i say alot, but the guys on here so helpful!!

Imola you and Ess Three have everyone copying you?? You are the test dummies!! Lol!!

[/ QUOTE ]
To be honest, Glen is the modding expert. I always take advice from Glen before I contemplate a mod (he must be fed up of me phoning and PM'ing him)!

Glen has tried and tested a lot of mods... and he isn't shy at saying he has spent money on something which is a waste of time. If Glen says a part is not worth the money you can either take his advice and save some money or try it yourself. 99.9% he is right on the button though!

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:
Great forum keep it up!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Glad you enjoy it... I love it... it passes the time while I'm at work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:
I can see me wi that same set up Eibach/Bilstein!! would it be same part no.s for my S3 225 2003

Thanks

Mark
St.Andrews
Fife!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Glen has the Bilstein/H&R combination, I went for the Bilstein/Eibach route. Either way you are getting a vast improvement over a standard setup.

Part numbers will be the same for a 210 and 225 S3 - same suspension.

Give that guy Julian a call and ask for a package deal... I found him very good to deal with. I would have bought from him but my local car accessory shop matched that price and only charged me £50 for fitting!