S3 Xenon level

ianysm

Reaction score
Are they self levelling? Mine seem to be pointing too low!

Yes they are....there is a little with torx screw that can be fiddled with, if you open the bonnet, its linked to the light, that might sort it out for you.

The default level can be programmed in VAG-Com. Mine dropped very low after fitting new suspension and it failed the MOT on it. They reckoned my headlights were stuck in "configuration mode" so they had to set them up and set it as the default level.

Andy

You can adjust as many have said in VAGCOM, i did mine manually using an MOT bay light box.

Mine are pointing higher than normal, but are still within the tollerance of MOT guidelines. I do however get a fair few people (around) 3 per week flashing me, which tells me that mine are slightly too high, i'm not that bothered about them though, as long as i can see safely (my eyes are not good at night time).

G

Could also be the infamous 'self levelling motor problem'... drivers side one on mine was pointing low so I took the thing apart and cleaned the motor... you can just replace them with a new one of course but they aren't that cheap.

There are quite a few threads here about it and a thread detailing stripping and cleaning the motors if you feel like it. (http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60250)

<tuffty/>

Anyone know how to set it using VAG com, I want to raise mine a little, but no idea where to do it.

You cant set them higher in vagcom, they can only be set to mot position as such then adjusted accordingly to the legal specifications, so you set the lights in this position with vagcom, then adjust with the 2 white plastic screws in the top of each headlight, then when set correctly you turn of this mode with vagcom.

It can be several things, the levelling motor/s can be fecked, the 2 screws have been turned to much & pulled the threads of the rubber bungs inside the headlights, the levellers could of come of the ball joints bar inside the headlight, could be just wrong position which above will correct, could be broken axle sensor that has told headlights to go up or down dependent on sensor state which is usually broken by suspension work, number of things tbh, some easy to check within seconds/minutes.

& all S3's have xenons standard & have levelling as standard, infact any audi's with xenons will have auto levelling with headlight washers as this is as per law which isnt actually enforced as such, yet, but latest mot done my mate said it would be along with number plates being correct & I believe Khufu can vouch for this as he does this often.

:iagree:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html

• Vehicle must be parked on level ground and "settled" on its suspension
  • Parking brake should be OFF
  • Ignition should be in the "On" position
  • Headlamps should be "Off"
Procedure for Aligning Xenon Headlamps:
[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range] (For some newer vehicles, use [29 - Left Light] instead )
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

Wait at least 20 seconds for the headlamp motors to move. The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.
Scroll up to Group 002. The Xenon Range controller has now learned this position as its Home position.
Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Note: There have been reports of lowered vehicles displaying an error message in either Basic Settings group 001 or 002. If the vehicle height sensor(s) are bottomed out, it may be necessary to bend the sensor bracket to allow normal adjustment to occur.

Cheers for the info guys. Haven't got access to vagcom so i'll rty the manual tweak, assuming something hasn't failed. Will see how i get on. I used to get flashed in the M3 all the time so got used to that. Now i have my finger on th etrigger ready to flash anyone back immediately!

I do however get a fair few people (around) 3 per week flashing me, which tells me that mine are slightly too high, i'm not that bothered about them though, as long as i can see safely (my eyes are not good at night time).

What a great attitude
icon_rolleyes.gif