Engine Additives!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Was just wondering what engine additives people use or recommend using? had alook and couldn't find any threads on it so thought id start one.

Dan

From what I heard, the best thing for performance is to use good fuel, like Shell V-Power or BP high octane rated fuel. As these fuels burn/explode better with less temperature being generated, which results in your exhaust gases being at lower temp.

Additives don't really give you the power they claim, so the money you save on them can be better used on good fuel, which will guarantee better power and fuel economy.

I would stay away from them.

My mate said the exact same thing but i just wanted a second opinion, at the moment running the car on standard fuel but from what i gather itll benefit from super unleaded

I agree with Leshkin, no car manufacturer's recommend any additives, yet they seem to have no issues with the 'better' fuels. I personally don't use any additives in my car, I have done in my previous cars and if I'm totally honest, I didn't notice any of the so called improvements that were stated on the packaging. Better fuels do make a little difference in the way your car drives / performs, although again I'm yet to see any of the mpg improvements they claim!

Fifth Gear did a test of additives a couple of series ago and found that they made no difference. As people have said, the key thing is to use a good quality high-octane fuel which contains everything you need.

yup, the additives really just appear to be a waste of ya hard earnt cash!

The boosters would probably only benefit cars setup for 100+ron.

cheers guys, was just curious but think ill just leave well alone

Stick to V power, i think that is the fuel of choice on here (well it is for me :))

From what I have read, there are additives in most "premium" petrol, i.e. V-Power, etc. All the other crap is just there to make money of people who buy in to advertising. I am sure there may be "some" good under certain circumstances, but if you are using good fuel, you have no need for it.

I only ever run my A3 on V-power, over the past 2 years I've had to put standard fuel in it a handful of times and every time there has been a noticable decrease in performance and economy.