changing the gearbox oil

You've got to really get it done at a grage. Unless you have an audi workshop manual. I took mine to Audi but supplied the oil myself so that I didn't get ripped and they charged me a worthwhile £40 to change it. Best £60 I ever spent on the car.

I have the gearbox manual, but it's not that helpful. The only thing it mentions is how to check the level.

I'm going to do mine soon and have a plan of how I **THINK** it should be done.

1. Put car on flat surface.
2. Squeeze under car and undo gearbox drain plug (this is obvious if you look underneath the gearbox). Make sure you have a container to catch the oil.
3. Once it is drained, refit the drain plug.
4. Undo the level checking plug on the side of the gearbox.
5. Refill with oil until it just starts to overflow out of the level check hole.
6. Refit level check plug.
7. Job done

Obviously this would be much easier if you have access to an inspection pit or similar so you can get under the car. You should try to keep the car flat to ensure the level is spot on.

I can post a link to the gearbox manual when I get home if you like.

Hope this helps

Go to a dealer with your own oil..you tight g*t!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would rather do it myself. At least I would know that it has been done properly.

Still recovering mentally from when I had my car serviced and they didn't tighten the sump bolt properly. I developed a leak, but only checked it after about 400 miles to find that I could undo it with my fingers.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Whats the best oil to use? as I'm going to ask for this to be done at my nxt service interval.

On vwvortex I read a lot thought redline mtl (90?) was good. Demon tweeks do it.

Dont MOBIL 1 do some gearbox oil ?? I heard someone from here used and said it was the dogs danglies

If you speak to Audi and tell them about the Audi Bulletin regarding the gearbox, they will change the oil for free and adjust the linkages.

I took my S3 to Audi Center Sydney, who replaced the gearbox oil with Castrol Syntrax, replaced some gearbox mounts with firmer bushes? and also adjusted the linkages, as a result the gearbox is far better, smoother and theres no notchiness... The throw is of course, still long but nothing a SS cant fix :p

Go the Syntrax its great stuff!

Dealer charged me $0 for all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, please post to the group.. I'd like to see this info too so I can advise my dealer.. thanks

I like the sound of this bulletin too. It might save a few of us some money and fix the shoddy gear change most of us suffer from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Ok, ive emailed my dealer requesting it and I've posted him the replies on this board to help out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SAM, where in Au are you? Do you have a S3?