Head lamps misting up???

kazino21

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2001 (51 reg i.e. facelifted newer headlights) with non-xenon head lights, I know that Audi's have a problem for misting up headlights and I would have thought that over time the chrome bits inside would degrade. I told my Audi dealer and they have said that they only replace the head lights when there is dripping and they will not replace it if there is just condensation. Are they lying or is have others had this problem? Please advise.

I had this with fog lights & they said that for all lights they only change if the water is dripping inside, rather than just condensation!!!

Quite a common thing apparantly, especially TT head lights!!

yes that is what they told me. But I talked to a VW dealer and he said that the chrome bits would be ruined over time is this true?

[ QUOTE ]
kazino21 said:
yes that is what they told me. But I talked to a VW dealer and he said that the chrome bits would be ruined over time is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

If water is getting in, then yes!

Rich

so that means that condensation will damage it too right.

[ QUOTE ]
kazino21 said:
so that means that condensation will damage it too right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if it stays. The reflector will rust with water over time.

Rich

is there any way of getting audi to replace them under warantee, they have noted that there is condensation but that there was no dripping.

the way you could get around it is that due to them steaming up its causes the beams to fade and not work at 100% and so may cause an accident cos i cant see properly and so if i do i will sue audi due to the fact i noted the problem before hand...

new headlamps thank you please!

if you have no beam image its a mot fail, you could tip some more water in them then they will have to change them!

It does actually say in my new audi A3 manual that condensation inside lights is perfectyl normal and acceptable and doesnt consitute a fault!