Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Really happy with my new purchase

Picked the S3 up last night, after a 3 hour journey home using motorways, back roads and the odd single lane i have decided it is money well spent.

My opinion so far.

Handles better than i thought it would after listening to people on here, pushed it fairly hard through some twisties that i know well and apart from the ESP kicking in a few times(turned it off in the end) i found the grip to be pretty impressive, this was on damp roads too(it has Michelin Pilot Sports on), have owned Imprezas, S4's, modded Focus ST amongst others so i feel i can give a decent opinion on this.

Went a little better than i thought, although it does have a fair bit more lag than i expected, 3rd gear onwards is pretty good, i also found the 80-140 in 6th to be better than expected.

Cabin is a lovely place to be, everything works and the car feels really solid when on the move, lot more comfy than i expected and made mile munching a really enjoyable experience.

Only little fault i have to pick is the brakes suffered from fade sooner than i hoped, im gonna put it down to the pads or do they all do it?. Would suffer quite bad on a trackday i would imagine.

Got up today and gave the car a quick detail, looks a lot better than when i picked it up considering the owner said he got it valeted, im going to work some magic on the interior tomorrow to get that up to a better standard(will post pics up of the whole car once done). It also seems to have a sidelight out, i cant get it out, although it is torture to get your fingers in, is there an easy way to do this?.

One more thing, its a lot better on fuel than i thought as well, it averaged 34mpg on the journey home and i wasnt hanging around at all.

Just tried to get the pictures off the autotrader of when i picked it up but sadly the advert has gone. Will take pics tomorrow, was just hoping you could see the difference of me giving it a quick going over.

Its a 2000(1 month off a 2001) S3 in silver, im assuming its the facelift version as it has one piece front lights and different tailgate/badges. Got 112K on it with FASH, all MOT's to back it up, wad of receipts for every little thing, it feels as tight as a new car to drive, no squeaks/rattles/knocks of any sort, only other thing is an erratic temp gauge but im putting that dwo nto a dodgy sender unit, will check it out tomorrow.

oh yes, all for just 4700

Cheers.
    Chris
    Last edited by Hooper; 5th March 2009 at 23:26.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    congratulations - sounds like a good car - now get some pics of it up
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

2nd Gear

Status
    Chris, sounds like you drive like me... that being the case you'll want a brembo upgrade for the front. Even uprating the pads and discs you can still get them to fade.

Speak to Bill at Badger5 - he will sort a kit, easy DIY job.

Glad you like the car, enjoy.
    S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    4700!!!

Flippin hell you got a bargain there mate!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    4700!!!

Flippin hell you got a bargain there mate!!!
    Bet it was that one someone was discussing last week. Seem to remember that went for 4700

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

5th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the fold. I'm happy for you after you've managed to get such a bargain. AS is a very good source of information and the lads/lasses here are very nice people.

Have fun with the new toy!

G

thats me

Status
    The arse has really fallen out of the S3 market, sounds like a good buy
    red to red black to black blue to bits