N249 Removal

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
I have been serching the net for what my low boost issue could be due to and whilst doing this i came across lots of threads about N249 removal to make a more smother drive with less surging as my car seems to surge at times i thought this might be a worth while mod to carry out does anyone no of a way to remove the N249 valve on a s3 with detailed pics if possible, as it could also be the cause of my lower boost levels from what i have read so be a good mod to eliminate it from my diagnosis at the same time,
also what are the pro's and con's of doing this mod,

ok will do cheers for the input

is this the link that you meant??? as it seems he's removing alot of stuff and its not a s3 engine or does it not make a difference when removing the valve???

ive seen some people say that they simple T'd into the fpr vac hose then run a new vac line to the dv or someting or other this is the mod im intersted in i think as it seems a simple job to bypass the valve with out removing to much stuff, i really only want to do it to see if it helps i dont really want to rip my car apart to much, as if it dosent cure my problem then id contemplate reconecting the n249 so dont want to remove all of what is being removed in that thread, many thanks

ive seen some people say that they simple T'd into the fpr vac hose then run a new vac line to the dv or someting or other this is the mod im intersted in i think as it seems a simple job to bypass the valve with out removing to much stuff, i really only want to do it to see if it helps i dont really want to rip my car apart to much, as if it dosent cure my problem then id contemplate reconecting the n249 so dont want to remove all of what is being removed in that thread, many thanks
so does anyone have any info on how to carry out this mod????

so does anyone have any info on how to carry out this mod????

See the links above! The Seat engine is the same as the TT/S3 engine.

The pro's are that the DV is activated by engine pressure/vacuum rather than electronically using the vacuum chamber on top of the rocker cover. Things seem a little crisper when changing gears. It's the way traditional turbo cars operate.

The con's. Well, the N249 is a safety device for your engine. If you overboost it can dump excess pressure as required.

To be honest, as a mod it really makes ****** all difference. It just tidies up the engine bay and gets rid of some pipework.

i have looked at the links and it still dosent awnser my question as im looking to bypass the valve not completly remove every thing thats atached to my engine, ive seen people say about just t'ing into the fpr vac line just to bypass the valve not remove it

this is the thread i have read on about bypassing the n249 valve chris3 when you say you have to run a vac line from the fpr vac line to the dump valve what do you do with the line out of the n249 which would have gone to the dv do you simply cap it off???

Like so?

main.php

ok so is that t'ing into the vacumm box on top the cam cover??? and where is the vac line going to?? the inlet manifold?? can i take that line to the fpr vac line instead.
many thanks

I was trying to find some photo's of my old set up but I only have them with the engine cover on! I replaced the vac line and hard pipe all the way back to the bulkhead with some silicone tube, then tapped into that.

The FRP vacuum line will work just the same.

cheers for your help, one last question though the line that would have gone to the dv from the n249 im guessing that will need capping off?

cheers for your help and input i shall give it ago tomorrow and see how it goes cheers chris :thumbsup:

well i carried out the mod this afternoon and has worked a treat car seems to drive alot smoother now so i then thought id try puting my n75j back on as the only reason i took it off was due to surging issues and that also seems to be ok at the moment time will tell though i guess

good stuff matey, glad it gave you possitive results!

So what was the final verdict with bypassing the valve?

Do people think its a good idea and have you noticed any real difference. I might add it to my list of things to do for the easter weekend if its worth doing?

for me bypassing the valve has worked a treat as my car used to surge alot under gear changes, however i believe my n249 valve was possibly shoot anyway so probably no gains if yours isnt faulty. also there will be no power gains if thats what your after.
but i have managed to re-fit my n75j valve with no runnig problems, my management light never came on before when i had it fitted anyway so unsure if doing this mod will also stop peoples engine managemnet lights comming on with the n75j fitted, its a very good idea to have a boost gauge on the car so you can see what your boosting as the n249 valve is there to stop over boost so beware

I did mine last week, mainly just to tidy up the engine bay, it does run smoother than it did though :thumbsup:

P1010628.jpg

I''ve just been doing some more stripping out for this mod this evening and have come across the following bit of kit not accounted for???

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9001717&l=b881826be3&id=533395586

^^ I hope that takes you to the right pic?! Anyway I know its the exhaust gas'emy air thingy but I think it needs a vacuum signal to it and I cant think what to use? Can it be left ignored??

ps left all the valves in place although now not a part of the system and this has kept the ecu happy:) No warnings....

Unfortunately no solving of the original boost issue I was hoping for either but at least it looks tidy'er and there are less lines to leak/fill.