Just bought some Alu mirrors for £250!!

dans3

Reaction score
Wahay! Just sourced myself some Alu mirrors for my S3 from Germany for £250 from ebay!! UK dealers want fortunes for them! I may be able to get more if anyone's interested??

Hi Dan.

Nice one. Saw those the other week on Ebay, think text was in German. Was that £250 for the pair? And are they the same dimensions? I believe the on the continent the passenger side mirror is smaller.

cheers

AL

and are they OEM mirrors or aftermarket copies?

I'm taking a bit of a risk on them; the seller's English wasn't so good and my German doesn't go much further than Guten Tag, so I could only get limited info! There original Audi not aftermarket, and from what I can see, polished not brushed aluminium. Ebay link is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2404349063&ed=1046084180&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:DE:3

The sellers sold a few of them and has some good feedback, has told me they fit the S3, but if anyone knows any different; let me know!

I'll let you the outcome!

Yes thats the advert I saw.

Thing that put me off was the "2000 model" bit. I think there was a slight change in wing mirror shape in the face-lift models of 2001 onwards. I'm not 100% sure though.

Perhaps drill could translate? Tried altavista translator, but what it spewed out didn't really make sense.

Very tempted with them though.

AL

So what you mean is that I'll have a smaller drivers mirror (RHD car)?

[ QUOTE ]
Es handelt sich um orginal Audi S Spiegelkappen ab Mod 2000 beide Seiten groß das heist 175x100mm orginal Aluminium gegossen aus einem Stück und dann poliert absolut orginal Audi S Modelle....(Kein Nachbau Ihr bekommt dann noch dazu 2 Spiegelgläser automatich beheitzbar und automatich abblendend......inkl.der Motoren und der Plastikverkleidungen! Np bei Audi liegt bei ca 900 Euro!!!!! Absolut selten und schwer zu bekommen!!!!! Viels Spass!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

These are original Audi S mirrors from model year 2000, both sizes equally large, this means 175x100mm. Original Aluminium cast in one piece, afterwards polished , completely original Audi S equipment (not aftermarket) With this you also get 2 mirror glasses that are heated and auto-dipping/dimming, including motors and plastic parts! Newprice is about 900€ when bought from audi!!!!! Very rare and difficult to get!!! Have fun!

just a word of caution - I had a problem with my ali - mirrors. My import came without and should have had them. When the German garage sent me replacements they took them off a German LHD car and they were useless on my car - the electric motors adj is set up for viewing angles if you sit on the left so I couldn't se a thing out of one and limited out of the other (on a lesser point the blind spot eliminator line was on the passenger side and not on the driver's side where you need it more) - also told I couldn't just swap the internals as the mirrors come as integrated units but this could be the usual Audi UK misinformation

Thanks for the info worfke ! All looks good!

Adam - I believe you are actually able to just use the ali caps and swap the internals. The stupid thing is is that you are unable to buy just the ali cap from Audi - suprisingly they like to sell you the whole mirror!!

I'll let everyone know how I get on, as I'm sure there's more like me who prefer the shiny look!

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
worfke said:
[ QUOTE ]
Es handelt sich um orginal Audi S Spiegelkappen ab Mod 2000 beide Seiten groß das heist 175x100mm orginal Aluminium gegossen aus einem Stück und dann poliert absolut orginal Audi S Modelle....(Kein Nachbau Ihr bekommt dann noch dazu 2 Spiegelgläser automatich beheitzbar und automatich abblendend......inkl.der Motoren und der Plastikverkleidungen! Np bei Audi liegt bei ca 900 Euro!!!!! Absolut selten und schwer zu bekommen!!!!! Viels Spass!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

These are original Audi S mirrors from model year 2000, both sizes equally large, this means 175x100mm. Original Aluminium cast in one piece, afterwards polished , completely original Audi S equipment (not aftermarket) With this you also get 2 mirror glasses that are heated and auto-dipping/dimming, including motors and plastic parts! Newprice is about 900€ when bought from audi!!!!! Very rare and difficult to get!!! Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

SMART ****!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Been looking around on ebay.de and found a few on there cheaper than 250GBP, so might just have to get me some of them.......

they won't be as shiny as mine..! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

bought my s3 alu mirrors from ebay germany last year for around the same price (different seller) they came off a 2001 s3 and the mirror casings sit slightly differently on my mirror internals(pre-facelift).....make sure you get the black part that sits on the bottom as this is larger on the facelift housings! you'll need to adapt the screw holes a bit etc but mine are fitted great and look the dogs gonnads!

no problems with mirror views and setting by the way,overall well worth the importing than getting the from audi for a stupid amount.

Enjoy them!

Should you not be able to use the glasses themselves I may be interested to buy them from you, just as replacement units for mine... I know the auto-dimming glasses alone cost an arm and a leg from audi...

Thanks Rockstar, I knew there was some slight difference. I also remember you doing the mod, but couldn't remember seeing you on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

AL

Just can't understand why someone would take them off their S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Unless it was a 'write-off' off course.

well believe it or not some peeps dont like the alu mirrors and prefer colour coded ones..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and the other biggy! reason is "theft" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .muppets decide they like the look of them or know there value so decide to help them selves to them and just snap them off! leaving you with a nasty mess and bill....
but personaly im willing to take the chance with them ,i think you cant live your life like that ,if you did you wouldnt have anything nice..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
hang on just need to go and check there still there...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hmmm as Rockstar says, unfortunately theft is an issue with them. Which is why I didn't get them, didn't fancy the replacement bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif A lot of people said don't bother with a silver car too. Still, I sometimes wish I had them. OK, I wish I had them a lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Replacement bill probably wouldn't be too bad if Audi weren't so stupid as to only offer the whole mirror as a replacement. Looked on ETKA, I can confirm aluminium/chrome mirror cap is not available on its own.

Other thing I noticed on the ETKA is that the S4/S6 mirrors are the same size as the S3 ones, 175x100mm.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
and the other biggy! reason is "theft" .muppets decide they like the look of them or know there value so decide to help them selves to them and just snap them off! leaving you with a nasty mess and bill....

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason for not buying them IMO. Do we really know of anyone who has had theirs stolen?

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1046214889S3 Moff">

Have you had you wing mirrors nicked?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

i personally dont know of anyone one stealing them,but have heard from a few sources of them "vanishing!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif (nothing to do with the fact where i live! OK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif)

Oddly when i dropped my car at audi the other day for a service the guy was quizzing me about them....said he was going to get it off the forecourt right now as he didnt fancy audi getting a bill for them if they got nicked!! he really seems worried! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
said peeps had been in with there "removed"......... ..

or maybe its just a myth about them being abducted..(aliens!!?)

[ QUOTE ]
dans3 said:
There's another set of Ali mirrors for sale on ebay.de which are VERY cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2405159220&amp;category=36682

Sorry if I'm spoiling someone elses fun who was keeping it a secret and bidding on them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

These won't fit an S/A3 mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
[ QUOTE ]
dans3 said:
There's another set of Ali mirrors for sale on ebay.de which are VERY cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2405159220&amp;category=36682

Sorry if I'm spoiling someone elses fun who was keeping it a secret and bidding on them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

These won't fit an S/A3 mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why not then?..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dans3 said:
I think Ben's trying to bid himself!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Me? Never. At £115 I was well up for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They went for a fair bit more than that in the end though. Oh well.