Engine rattling

S3_MCD

Reaction score
Hi all...

Has anybody got any thoughts on what could be wrong with my engine?

Brand new engine, built and put in by Audi 2yrs ago (20K miles). Has been fine for 1.5yrs, and if anything better and more responsive than the original one. However over the last 6 months its started to noticeable use oil (not a drop before this), and to add to this its developed what I would call a rattle (marble in a tin can sort a sound), predominant from cold when pulling off. The noise decreases with revs, but im not sure if it stops or becomes so persistant the noise becomes part of the engine sound?
Its also there when warm, but far less noticeable.

The car is booked in, but not for 2 weeks...

Thoughts is it safe to drive?

Personally i'd say it could possibly be timing chains. Not sure why it would be using oil as if the Oil return pipwork was slightly blocked it starves the top end of the engine. This in turn produces less oil pressure for the chain tensioner to work properly and tension the chain up which domino's again to make chain rattle. Have you checked the driveway/garage floor for oil patches? Maybe the rear of the car around the exhausts?

Mine developed the dreaded timing chain problem and it's purely down to the oil and carbon deposits filling up the oil return pipework and the filter on the end of this pipework. A £5 part causes no end of damage and i needed the VVTI unit also. My bill came to around £1000 mark, i had the cam belt and water pumps along with oil pumps replaced at the same time out of precaution.

Mine was more aparent at lower revs, and did it when it started up. It's a very strange noise to describe and although you could say a rattle that still wouldn't describe it prefectly. I thought mine was a heat shield rattle, maybe around the exhaust manifold, but later found out that it was the above!

Let us know what the progess is!

G

Cheers G

That could be the sound, but your right "sound" is very subjective!

As for timing chains hadnt considered this....

When I had my engine replaced, they did the lot - top, bottom, pump, belt, clutch etc... so have to assume chains aswell?!?

Its definately not dropping oil, i've a small leak from around the turbo (i think) but not the volume that its using.

Will post Audi thoughts as it progresses, however any other thoughts comments appreciated.

Cheers

Surely if Audi replaced the engine you'd have some sort of warranty on it.

What was the reason for the replacement engine and all the seperate components?

Any Oil leak is not a good sign, did they replace the turbo at the same time? I'm looking at your signature which implies that is has been changed but thought i'd make sure.

When the engine is started it begins to build oil pressure, perhaps your loosing oil through this "turbo" leak and not really noticing it as it's dropping on the road as your driving around? Just another "shot" in the dark really. I'm no mechanic so might be totally wrong here.

Have you checked all around the engine bay for signs of oil leaks? Take the plastic covers off that cover the engine, battery and water etc you'll have a better idea then and can see far more.

G

Warranty - hoping so, although it was best part of 2 yrs ago.
Engine was replaced under warranty when cam belt went, Dealer was very good and promoted w'tee claim through AUK even though it was 1yr and 20k out of cover.

Yes the whole lot was replaced, inc turbo and all ancillaries. I paid for the extra, pump, clutch as it made sense as there was no labour as engine bay was empty!!

Cheers for the thoughts gives me something to talk to them about