JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Detailing

  1. #1
    bhavin1986's Avatar
    BBP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    461

    Detailing

    So after doing lots of reading around on this site and plenty of other detailing sites, I've taken the plunge and bought myself a rotary machine polisher for my black A3. I've also forked out for the Menzerna instensive polish PO85RD 3.02 and the Menzerna final finish PO85RD. I've read that the intensive polish is better for the tougher VAG paint, and went for the finer final finish. As well as that I've bagged a Carlack 68 and Collinite sealant and wax kit from a certain well known detailing site.

    I'm planning on braving it and working on it for a couple of days in the coming week so will get some pics up of results, before and after. The stages as I understand at the moment are:
    1 - Wash (with that 2 bucket method)
    2 - Clay (I've already got a clay kit I'll be using)
    3 - Wheel Sealant (I use Poorboy's for this)
    4 - Sealant (Carlack 68)
    5 - Wax (Collinite)
    6 - Have a well deserved cold one (or 2 or 5)

    The paintwork on my car is in a bit of a sorry state in terms of the swirl marks. Other than that there aren't many blemishes or scratches as such.
    Planning on working on the Old man's 3 series at some point soon too...watch this space for the pics. And thanks to the exeperienced detailers on this forum from whom I've been taking ideas and advice from stealthily! (you know who you are)

    Bhav

    17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,096
    Hey Bhav, aint seen you on here for a while...hows it going???

    Sounds good, make sure you get plenty of before, in between and after pics, always good to see the results on a black car...then when you are free you can do mine too

    Cheers
    Nilz

  4. #3
    666markyboy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oldham, Manchester
    Posts
    1,110
    practice on the beemer first....thats what i would do...
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

  5. #4
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavin1986 View Post
    So after doing lots of reading around on this site and plenty of other detailing sites, I've taken the plunge and bought myself a rotary machine polisher for my black A3. I've also forked out for the Menzerna instensive polish PO85RD 3.02 and the Menzerna final finish PO85RD. I've read that the intensive polish is better for the tougher VAG paint, and went for the finer final finish. As well as that I've bagged a Carlack 68 and Collinite sealant and wax kit from a certain well known detailing site.

    I'm planning on braving it and working on it for a couple of days in the coming week so will get some pics up of results, before and after. The stages as I understand at the moment are:
    1 - Wash (with that 2 bucket method)
    2 - Clay (I've already got a clay kit I'll be using)
    3 - Wheel Sealant (I use Poorboy's for this)
    4 - Sealant (Carlack 68)
    5 - Wax (Collinite)
    6 - Have a well deserved cold one (or 2 or 5)

    The paintwork on my car is in a bit of a sorry state in terms of the swirl marks. Other than that there aren't many blemishes or scratches as such.
    Planning on working on the Old man's 3 series at some point soon too...watch this space for the pics. And thanks to the exeperienced detailers on this forum from whom I've been taking ideas and advice from stealthily! (you know who you are)

    Bhav
    Hi there.

    Firstly you have a rotary i see. Great choice, have one myself. I see you've also purchased the Menzerna polish system. If i might add one more thing to your list of items, Menzerna PowerGloss. You will need this to remove your bad swirls (i'm assuming that sorry state means bad condition with marks and swirling as you've suggested). PowerGloss will remove these with relative ease whereas you'll be lucky to remove them with ease using the 85.RD system. I used PowerGloss to gain maximum paint correction at the first stage by removing all the swirls in my car. Then moved onto 85.RD after the initial PG stage.

    A few passes of the 85.RD and the finish was almost flawless. 100% improvement on the original paint.

    Your method is good, but needs refining:

    1 - Wash (could snow foam it if you are willing to fork out 50 and already have a pressure washer)
    1.5 - Dry (leaf blower is a good idea but not necessary here as the car is not detailed "yet").
    2 - Clay.
    2.5 - Wash.
    2.75 - Dry & inspect paint. Picking up the worst areas and marking (taping them off)
    3 - Wheels off, wash, clay and seal.
    4 - Paint correction - Using rotary and Menzerna system, be sure to mask off the rubbers, plastics, badges and "Prone" areas which could get damaged easily or damage the foam pad)
    5- Lime prime lite - (or similar to remove oils/unworked compounds)
    6 - Wax (Collinite)
    7 - Have a well deserved cold one (or 2 or 5)

    This is the method i'd use personally, not saying that its the "right" method but it's a thorough one. I've left out the Carlack as i didn't use this on mine and think that colli does such a fantastic job at sealing there was no need.

    The trick would be to take your time on it and spread it out over a good few days if you can afford not to drive the car etc.

    Be sure to post up the results. Always nice to see other peoples cars looking clean!

    Good luck.

    G

  6. #5
    bhavin1986's Avatar
    BBP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Hi there.

    Firstly you have a rotary i see. Great choice, have one myself. I see you've also purchased the Menzerna polish system. If i might add one more thing to your list of items, Menzerna PowerGloss. You will need this to remove your bad swirls (i'm assuming that sorry state means bad condition with marks and swirling as you've suggested). PowerGloss will remove these with relative ease whereas you'll be lucky to remove them with ease using the 85.RD system. I used PowerGloss to gain maximum paint correction at the first stage by removing all the swirls in my car. Then moved onto 85.RD after the initial PG stage.

    A few passes of the 85.RD and the finish was almost flawless. 100% improvement on the original paint.

    Your method is good, but needs refining:

    1 - Wash (could snow foam it if you are willing to fork out 50 and already have a pressure washer)
    1.5 - Dry (leaf blower is a good idea but not necessary here as the car is not detailed "yet").
    2 - Clay.
    2.5 - Wash.
    2.75 - Dry & inspect paint. Picking up the worst areas and marking (taping them off)
    3 - Wheels off, wash, clay and seal.
    4 - Paint correction - Using rotary and Menzerna system, be sure to mask off the rubbers, plastics, badges and "Prone" areas which could get damaged easily or damage the foam pad)
    5- Lime prime lite - (or similar to remove oils/unworked compounds)
    6 - Wax (Collinite)
    7 - Have a well deserved cold one (or 2 or 5)

    This is the method i'd use personally, not saying that its the "right" method but it's a thorough one. I've left out the Carlack as i didn't use this on mine and think that colli does such a fantastic job at sealing there was no need.

    The trick would be to take your time on it and spread it out over a good few days if you can afford not to drive the car etc.

    Be sure to post up the results. Always nice to see other peoples cars looking clean!

    Good luck.

    G
    Wow, that's pretty thorough indeed. I've never heard of the Lime prime lite before, will be sure to read into that a bit. Dang, should have just bought the sampler kit instead of buying the two Menzerna items seperately then...do you think it would be worth having a go with the 85.RD first? Or will I just be fighting a lost cause? Will definately clay the wheels too. Excellent advice there, will be incorporating some of your stages into it. I don't however have a pressure washer, nor a leaf blower...

    await the pictures...!

    Yeah, I haven't been posting much although I've been visitng the forum on a regular Nilz, just been awaiting the half decent weather to spend my days on the car! Wouldn't say no to working on an S3....(for a large fee...heh)

    17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

  7. #6
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,096
    Will a LARGE Beer (and a kebab) do???

    Also have a look at Mr.Gs pics of his car after he detailed it, looks good and yours is black too, so to get some inspiration and ideas of what it might look like, have a gander!!

    Very nice

  8. #7
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    I'd have bought the sample kit myself and to be honest with you i'll be buying another on the 18th of this month as mines out now.

    Cleanyourcar has the sample kit, PB has the larger bottles but you wont use anywhere near a whole 1L bottle on your car, unless you plan to do others cars then it's a little overkill. The sample kit was 24.95 last time i looked.

    I'd save the messing around with the 85.RD and use the larger cutting compounds first to remove the swirls. You could always try it and see what result you get but it would mean soiling pads before you start and unless you have an abundance of pads i'd say start with PG on a medium pad, i found on a hard pad (like Sonus SFX-1) mine was jumping about the place too much for my liking, moved up a pad SFX-2 and far less jumping more correction and overall much easier to use and gain good reuslts.

    Pressure washers can be had for 50 and under these days. Faz got one not so long back for 44 if i remember rightly.

    Heres the link!

    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8152.aspx

    Not sure how good it is but all it's doing is pressurising water so it should be ok. A foam lance is a must as they are not only amazing fun to use they really do get a lot of grime and dirt off the car before the wash stage. Saving in adding additional swirls by rubbing in the grit/grime and dirt on the wash stage.

    G

  9. #8
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    Will a LARGE Beer (and a kebab) do???

    Also have a look at Mr.Gs pics of his car after he detailed it, looks good and yours is black too, so to get some inspiration and ideas of what it might look like, have a gander!!

    Very nice
    Ta Nilz :P

  10. #9
    bhavin1986's Avatar
    BBP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    461
    I just had a read of your full body work detail thread, and in the words of Borat, all I can say is "Wowa weewaa! Nicey Nice!"

    That is an unbelievable finish you've acheived there Mr G. I think I'd be licking my bodywork if I could acheive a finish like that. Looking at it is causing me involuntary drooling. A true Perfectionist. Mind you spending the amount of time you did on it I suppose you should be expecting those kind of results.

    Boy am I excited to getting started on mine...! Thanks for the tips etc G.


    BTW Nilz, a kebab!? Bleurgh...you disappoint me.

    17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

  11. #10
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    Hey Bhavin,

    Thanks for the nice comments. Its been a labour of love & money i'll tell you. I spent as you can see hours and hours trying to get the best possible finish and as i'm not a professional detailer i had to learn the hard way, just getting stuck in and by using common sense with some great products which were recommended by some good friends over on Detailing world.

    I'm a man of great patience as Faz will surely tell you. No worries on the Tips etc.

    If you need more just feel free to PM.

    I wish you happy detailing mate, remember take your time!

    P.S one more thing i'd sugguest you buy. Halogen lamps. So you can pick up swirls and defects in the paint. It's gonna be very hard to achieve a good finish without them.

    G

  12. #11
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,096
    Mmmmmmm kebabs!!!

    Whats wrong with kebabs???

  13. #12
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    I happen to love kebabs. Hmmmm...only when i'm drunk though. Adds to the flavour of the next days hangover! lol

    G

  14. #13
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,818
    love that dry munchy mouth and kebab burp in the morn!

  15. #14
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,284
    Which foam lance are you lot using. I took the laquer off my front bumper with my Karcher pressure washer last weeken so once i get my bumper resprayed I wont be using the washer again! Can anyone suggest a decent foam lance kit as there seems to be loads of stuff on ebay and i'm easily confused.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  16. #15
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    Hey Wes.

    Nightmare mate, sorry to hear about that.

    I only use the pressure washer if i'm doing the arches and i never stand to close to the car with the lance or hold the nozzle close to the paintwork.

    That said if there was already damage done to the paintwork, paint flaking etc then even being careful won't prevent taking paint off.

    Use any foam lance and foam, but nice snow foam has to be this:

    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washin.../prod_370.html

    The lance i've used on many occassions but don't own yet. Soon though.

    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washin.../prod_371.html

    G

  17. #16
    bhavin1986's Avatar
    BBP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    461
    Nothing wrong with a kebab, unless like G stated, You're trollied...
    I managed to change the Menz order for a sampler kit btw. Which poloshing pads would you recommend, G? I'm looking to buy some and then get on the detail during my Easter break from uni. Then I can put in the time needed!


    17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

  18. #17
    Mr.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a Tardis!!
    Posts
    1,302
    From experience i've found most pads to be pretty good, but the one's that worked well on my own car were Sonus FX1, FX2 and FX3. FX1 was hard to use at first but after a little use became easier. However you would be fine with just PowerGloss on an FX2 and then followed by 85.RD (not 3.02) on an FX3 pad.

    I found these pads worked well on the Audi paint and have used them on 2 S3's with really really good results.

    Good news on the sampler kit.

    G

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO