Which Clutch Kits?

S3Steve

Reaction score
Looks like i might be needing to change my clutch soon. What clutch kits have people used on their S3's and whats your opinions on them?

I'd be interested in what performance clutch kits people use/recommend too!

I've heard good things about the sach ones!

I'd be interested in what performance clutch kits people use/recommend too!

I've heard good things about the sach ones!

I heard they seem the same but are needed for big turbo upgrades

I've got a Sachs Organic in mine and a standard dual mass flywheel. Was a bit smelly at first but once run in works all ok and drives like the standard clutch. This one is rated to 330lb/ft. I bought it from JBS as part of a group buy on SeatCupra.net.

Yeh I might look for one soon. What about flywheels? Would be good to get a lightened one.

Hello!

To try and help with some info and prices:

Sachs offer a Organic clutch kit which comes to £491.63 delivered or £779.23 fitted.

OR

Sachs Organic clutch kit and single mass flywheel which comes to £1093.22 delivered or £1380.72 all in fitted.

For delivery I can get these sent out within 2-3days.

Mike

Hi.

Think i'm going to replace my clutch in april, my flywheel is a little warped i think as i'm getting slight vibrations at 85 mph coming down the rev range. Could be drivetrain though, but i know i'm being fussy and most would just leave it, want mine 100% though so will be doing it soon.

What is the difference between single and dual mass flys?

Thanks

G

Hello,

Are you getting this vibration when in a high gear under load?

Dual mass flywheels use two plates which are sprung. Bottom plate bolts to the flywheel and the top goes to the clutch friction disc, this helps improves drivability and also acts as a noise damper for the gearbox. But as I am sure you are aware these to have a lot of problems.

Whereas the single mass is one plate that bolts to flywheel and friction disc, this gets rid of any possible issues that you could of had with the dual mass and but you do get a 'diesel like' chatter from the gearbox, only a little higher pitched.

I hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the info and the reply.

Its more like coming off load so say i'm doing 90mph (private roads lol) and i leave the box in 6th slow the car down using engine braking, it happens then. for a 5mph period between say 85 and 80mph. When this happened before on a previous S3 which was a year old the Audi Dealer replaced dual mass flywheel which they said was warped/cracked a little. What truth was in that i've no idea as i'm not that good with mechanics.

Is it better to have a single? I'm looking to improve the car where possible over time.

Your advice is really appreciated!

Oh and your k05 Upgrade, with remap, what is the cheapest you could do it fitted for?

Thanks again

G

you should consider these chaps
http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html

excellent range of products, the guys on Vortex have been using them for years and they have an excellent reputation.
I run one on a stroked 2.0 20v with Gt2871 at around 400bhp

reasonable price even with the dollar rate and they come in dual mass and single mass format ranging from OEM spec replacement up to "stage 5" capable of dealing with 750 ftlbs of torque.

Oh and I just happen to be a UK dealer and offer up to 15% off web prices.
Stage 3 (450 ftlbs with no schwarzenegger left leg required) with single mass flywheel comes in just over $1000 (thats dollars).

PM if interested

Hello!

To try and help with some info and prices:

Sachs offer a Organic clutch kit which comes to £491.63 delivered or £779.23 fitted.

OR

Sachs Organic clutch kit and single mass flywheel which comes to £1093.22 delivered or £1380.72 all in fitted.

For delivery I can get these sent out within 2-3days.

Mike

Thanks for the info, what torque levels are the sachs clutch kits rated too mate?

its for a TT because most US sites don't list the S3.
search under Audi TT with 6 speed 02M box and you get the same kit

i personally don't like the aluminium flywheels.
there have a nasty habit of losing their friction surface at high torque levels.
for the weight saving I would stick with a steel LW flywheel myself.

clutchnet are a good brand but you get what you pay for.
lot more users on vortex, search there for comparison threads. you can see they favour clutchnet for some heavy duty applications (400whp upards)