S3 Versus Focus RS

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Yes people i have deemed it necessary to post this little piece of Saturday morning sex wee!!

Went to pick the misus up from Sheff last night when a Focus RS started tailing me, finally pulled up at some lights and gave each other the nod, he had 3/4 of car length on me whilst going round a large roundabout clearly sat in a low gear as you could hear by the exhaust note (he was on inside lane)- i was hesitent as i know these things are quick. Anyway, he booted it and i did subconciously once i saw him pull off, his car seemed to spike power :bye:which i then thought thats it hes gone but somehow i stayed with him :ohmy: ..... shocked isnt the word, we went for a good 1/4-1/2 mile after which i think i was pulling on him v slowly

You'll be glad im not counting my chickens as i know these cars arent slow by any means but this chap then proceeded to sit at the next lights shamelessly in the slow lane - im chuffed to bits, obviously it isnt a true reflection as it would most likely corner better than mine when driven properly and we were going from 2nd rather than 0mph so mid range race if you like..... :o.k::) may not have been mapped but guessing by how old these cars are now andthe fact he had an aftermarket exhaust, id guess it would be

all hail none believers:racer:

shouldn't you be cleaning your car for the big meet:moa:

rs focus aren't they like 170?

i read up on them ages ago and there arent many differences between the ST and the RS, infact i thought the RS was quicker..... your thinking of the ST170

I'm sure i read somewhere that the bhp of stock RS's varied from car to car, -ranging from 210-240bhp.

Not trying to be funny but...... Old car plus after market exhaust = remap
Why?
How about your's is mapped, his isn't so by rights you should have ket up with him.

My mates RS with bluefin eats me up all day long and on roundabouts its see ya later S3!

Ha ha.
Animal... im going to start following you ! nobody wants to play with me
My mate got a focus RS about the same time i got my S3 so we have had a "play" in most stages of our tuning ,
Both cars standard you would have trouble staying with one, but it wouldnt be beat by much,
Both mapped you should have delt with him ok,
At this stage our ideas of tuning ( and budget ) changed. He went for forged bottom end, group B exhaust, Blue fin remap and a GT30 turbo ,
I had my hybrid turbo and new exhaust with custom code stage 2.
Now this upped the stakes alot for him as he spent £4500 on his and me about half that,
On a track... he had more to prove than me ( drives much harder) but over about half a mile... we were about the same. He beat me once... by uping the boost to 2 bar... he pulled 2 car lengths .
Im smiling though as his is now having rebuild number 2 as its well and truely dead.

Ha ha.
Animal... im going to start following you ! nobody wants to play with me
My mate got a focus RS about the same time i got my S3 so we have had a "play" in most stages of our tuning ,
Both cars standard you would have trouble staying with one, but it wouldnt be beat by much,
Both mapped you should have delt with him ok,
At this stage our ideas of tuning ( and budget ) changed. He went for forged bottom end, group B exhaust, Blue fin remap and a GT30 turbo ,
I had my hybrid turbo and new exhaust with custom code stage 2.
Now this upped the stakes alot for him as he spent £4500 on his and me about half that,
On a track... he had more to prove than me ( drives much harder) but over about half a mile... we were about the same. He beat me once... by uping the boost to 2 bar... he pulled 2 car lengths .
Im smiling though as his is now having rebuild number 2 as its well and truely dead.

lol they are the same power as the s3 standard anyway. I wouldnt expect to be beaten by one unless modified extensively.

Wait for the new RS though. 300bhp through the front wheels. Shall be reasonably quick once rolling. One for the 8P boys I think.

im always interested in seeing how different car compare. Im sure it would be close once moving in standard cars. But if one or the otherwas mapped it wud be different

im always interested in seeing how different car compare. Im sure it would be close once moving in standard cars. But if one or the otherwas mapped it wud be different

...or once the road got twisty!

The focus has a brilliant chassis...even in basic form, and the Focus RS handles WAY better than a standard S3...and with that diff, you'd be lucky to see which way he went if he can drive.

I never understood all the hype about them being an animal...if some limp wristed journo was used to massive over assistance of the steering and had never driven an LSD before...maybe.
But the Focus RS is no worse than many...you just have to drive accordingly.

Yep i agree, on the twisties it would be different. But i bet there aren't many out there that can drive them. You'd be amazed how many M3 owners there are out there that simply cannot drive the car and use all its power! All show no go!

A RS showed me a few car lengths in a drag onto the motorway, but when we both ca,e off at the same junction I actually left him around the roundabout. Probally just had his foot flat down out of control.

hey guys im under no disillusion about the fact they can handle.... i was just chuffed to stay with him when it seemed to spike....:laugh:

aftermarket exhaust doesnt always mean map 'obviously', i was making an assumption, nothing more or less and im astute enough to know why im making that assumption if we want to go into the psychological aspect of my comment - and as proved above by another member, both mapped wouldnt be much in it.

about the handling, yup i agree with all of the above comments, i persoanlly couldnt drive a focus RS or M3 anywhere near its limits (thats my guestimate as ive never driven either)...thats why the S3 is so much fun because im a lazy driver most of the time and the car is a work car when all said and done

Standard RS vs. standard S3 - you have no chance (the wieght & transmission in comparsion say it all).

Standard RS vs Remapped S3 - your ll be on his tail if not par or infront

their completely different cars the RS is like a CTR with a turbo, still a tin can.

Ill vouch for this Tim, Ive had a run in with a standard rs and had to let off as i was so far up his ars and wouldnt move over, i think i could of passed him :)

hi all ,

i dunno about everyone but i **** all over the RS ,

iv had fun with a few and they had no chance !

hi all ,

i dunno about everyone but i **** all over the RS ,

iv had fun with a few and they had no chance !

**** all over...
With what power S3 and on what suspension and brakes?

The RS is lighter, has more power at the wheels, better brakes and a chassis that's so much better than a standard S3 it's scarcely believable.
...yet you **** all over it.
Hmm...

i know someone with an RS and was following him one night when he booted it he didn't really leave me for dead was quite surprise.

arent they only 215bhp standard?

I've owned an Focus RS running 251BHP at fly and 231BHP at wheels. My RS was mapped turbo back stainless De-catted with a gen 2 KnN CAI. I reckon a mapped S3 would keep up with a mapped RS, Standard RS isn't that quick.....pretty sluggish really.

here is Joe showing someone his speed :laugh:
Picture026-1.jpg

Not a great deal of point discussiing the details of bhp and power to weight etc as its mostly down to the driver anyway.
I've raced a 400bhp Pulsar before and he couldn't keep up with me! thats because he was a **** driver and didn't know how to use the power plus being cautious too. I know this cos he's a mate of mine and i wasn't even in my S3 then, i had a mk2 golf 20vt running 204bhp!

...and here is Jason trying to show some speed....

Picture001-1.jpg

Thanks David (how much hp did you get at Prosport:lmfao:)

Depends on a number of factors...he could have any number of things wrong with his car as in my limited knowledge of cars I still know this is a drivers car

Thats the mondeo st220, The focus is the st170,

I've been looking at the stats,

If the RS is quicker car etc, why would it be insurance group 16 rather than 18 like the s3?

I have a friend who has a rs and it seems pretty much the same

[quoteI have a friend who has a rs and it seems pretty much the same[/quote]

:iagree:

I've been looking at the stats,

If the RS is quicker car etc, why would it be insurance group 16 rather than 18 like the s3?

It's not all to do with straight performance.
It's all about anti theft potential, repair costs, security measures etc....just as much as how fast it is.

Why is an Integra Type-R a group 18?
Following your theory...it shouldn't be. It's got less power than either...and slower.
But it is...because it's rare bits and lack of available spares (like bodyshells - as I found out) make it expensive/impossible to repair properly.

It's not all to do with straight performance.
It's all about anti theft potential, repair costs, security measures etc....just as much as how fast it is.

Why is an Integra Type-R a group 18?
Following your theory...it shouldn't be. It's got less power than either...and slower.
But it is...because it's rare bits and lack of available spares (like bodyshells - as I found out) make it expensive/impossible to repair properly.

The reason i sadi about the insurance group is to show their can;t be THAt much in it. Not saying it should apply for all cars.

I have driven both though, and i would say it's all down to drivers.

To be carried out properly you would need to mix all variables accept the car. I don't think their would be much between the two

hehe a hornets nest....

hey interesting stuff on the micra a friend of a friend as just turbo'd an N reg micra!! why would you do that???

Must say i used to have an RS Focus had it tuned to 300bhp + was buy far the most fun car ive ever owned, before buying the S3 though i was under the impression a standard S3 would be able to beat a standard RS must admit slighty disapointed with the performance with the S3 - i need some engine mod's lol