Brake lights not working? and front fogs wont turn off?

VTI_EG_DAN

Reaction score
Hey all, well I just got my s3! me being stupid me, didnt notice that none of the brake lights are working! :( any ideas wat this could be?

also the front fogs wont turn off? when ever lights are on, they are on!

any help please?

Cheers Dan

Check the brake light switch which is on the pedal box by the brake pedal and I suspect the fog light thing is the light switch is ********.

is that a little round rubber button? if so I just pressed it and it didnt do anything :(

right think iv found wat it is! is it ment to move?! after lookin on here its a brack light switch i need, so going to get one tomorrow.

any one got an idea on the fogs please?

What light switch is fitted, does it pull out twice once for front and another time for front and rear?

Reason i ask is maybe someone fitted the fogs after and just wired them to the standard headlight wiring?

And Brake light could well be dodgy switch iirc its above the pedal. Check all your bulbs too to make sure it isnt playing silly buggers.

Maybe switch is stuck out. try pushing your light switch in?

yeh it pulls out twice mate, im guessing it has to be something wrong with the switch then! any one know the price of them or how to fix them? for time being does any one know which one the fuse is? so i can take it out till i get a new switch

ok thanks, i think as there so cheap im jst goin to pick one up tomorrow!

Fogs are standard on the S3 fella from what I recall, I'd say have a look at the headlight switch that controls the fogs aswell, can even take it apart to see if its got some crap in or the tracks are screwed on the pcb & yeah check as already said bulbs, fuses, brake light switch on pedal etc etc

i have a spare headlight switch, ever so slightly worn.....

the brake switch can be repaired depending on which year your S3 is...if its pre 2000 you'll need to buy a new one although you can make it last a tad longer, if its post 2000 it will have a better switch that can be fixed easily

how much are you wanting for that mate? and how do u remove it?!

its an 02 plate mate, how wud I fix it ?

erm dunno really, let me check i still have it, pm me and ill check tomorrow. You get to it by removing the panel below the steering column, there are 2--3 screws underneath and several at the side if my memory serves me.

whilst this cover is off you can remove the brake switch too, i cant remmeber how i did mine but it was obvious when i got it off...... i used to rebuild the one on my old A3 every 6 months which required scrapping the contact strips.... when i got this off i clicked something back into place and it worked and has never let me down since

where are you in the country?

ok mate thanks, ill take the lower dash off tomorrow and try take the light switch out and check to see if it works after, as for the brake light switch, i think im jst goin to get another one! saves the hassle! for the price of them!

im down near exeter in devon

Fogs are standard on the S3 fella from what I recall, I'd say have a look at the headlight switch that controls the fogs aswell, can even take it apart to see if its got some crap in or the tracks are screwed on the pcb & yeah check as already said bulbs, fuses, brake light switch on pedal etc etc

As mentioned check your fuses, I'm pretty sure the rear brake lights have their own fuse

Be careful with the brakelight switch, thier cheap enough, about £12 if I remember right, but you have to put it in a special way, ask the dealers and they SHOULD tell you, or else you risk breaking it!

As for fuses, the different sides should have sperate fuses from memory as a safey future, so if one blows you dont loose all, hence its possibly the switch.

The foglights on all the time sounds like the light switch, think their about £23, Im going of memory tho as I havent worked for VAG in a few years.

BTW welcome to S3 ownership.

I think the switch will be more like £35, but thats a guess as i know my old polo one did cost about that.

Looks like it will be the light switch then, You dont have to remove the lower dash to remove the light switch. What you do is just push in the round knob (which you use to turn the lights on) in and when pushing in turn it towards the side lights position and then pull.

This will release the clips and the switch will come out.

I think the switch will be more like £35, but thats a guess as i know my old polo one did cost about that.

Looks like it will be the light switch then, You dont have to remove the lower dash to remove the light switch. What you do is just push in the round knob (which you use to turn the lights on) in and when pushing in turn it towards the side lights position and then pull.

This will release the clips and the switch will come out.

Yes, benr is right on the removal technique

he is but the guy has to remove the panel regardless to get to the brake switch.....

I would try and swap with a mates headlight switch first to rule it out.

Will only take a couple of minutes.

right both problems fixed :D i took the light/fog light switch out and cleaned it up and now its working fine

the brake light switch I middled with and started working again! but i have a new part from audi now, one thing tho, mine is black and one they have given me is green, is there 2 different types? as i was going to fit it any way so wouldnt get the problem again!

glad ya got it sorted fella, really didnt wana let you have my switch as a womans used it and it clearly has loads of nail marks!! (i got it out of Bigjey's car think what you will)

the switch id just put them together and see if there are any visual differnces as you could easily have the older switch

thanks mate, saved me some money :) but now i have another problem in another thread :(

ok will it work if i update it with the new switch? I thort as i have it i might aswell use it? and i duno what audi are like for returning parts?

depends if they had to order the part in, id personally use the new if audi wont take it back....depends tho, if it cost £20 use it for hell of it but keep other as spare