Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits

Thread: too cheap?

Reverse Gear

Status

too cheap?

im in the process of trying to sell my s3, i have had it on autotrader for a week and had a few calls but nobody has been to view it, its a 2000w reg 210bhp model, im asking 4300 which i thought was a fair price for a quick sale, but all im getting is timewasters phoning, usually asking the first question "what will i take for it" i must be crazy but i thought 4300 was a bargain, do you guys think its too cheap? am i looking too desperate? the daft thing is i dont even need to sell it but i have a company car now so only do 50 miles a week in the s3

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    is it high milage, has it not got all the mod cons. that might be why your getting people trying to get the price even lower? 4300 does seem cheap people might be thinking there has to be "something wrong" with it

5th Gear

Status
    When these boneheads start off with that sort of question, why not respond "4500", and see what amusing reaction you get.

Does not sound that cheap, unless it's got intergalactic mileage, but no interest at that price might depress a few on here...

Personally, unless it's costing you dear, I'd keep it a while for the fun factor, unless someone comes along with the right wonga!!

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Reverse Gear

Status
    the cars done 108k, full history, standard car, the only extras are parking sensors and a blaupunkt sat nav, im shocked at the fools phoning me, its on autotrader for 1 more week, if it doesnt sell i will keep it a bit longer, its scary how the prices are falling, i got it in september 08 and paid 5400, that was a good price at the time, spent over 1000 servicing it, i have to say its the best car ive owned, its a shame to sell it but i havnt really got space for 2 cars

va va voom

Status
    does sound to cheap to me
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

1st Gear

Status
    i'd say price it at around 5grand personally

3rd Gear

Status
    i just sold a 2003 reg, with 110k, immaculate throughout, with genuine 18" rstt's, miltek exhaust, over 3k of mods, and i sold that for 5k, so it isnt a bad price in all fairness, i did have the odd person ringing and offering stupid money though, 4000, was also just had a major service,
    Last edited by nick-barnes07; 27th February 2009 at 00:08.

More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Status
    I had this with my Rallye Golf, had it up for 4k(!!!) which was cheaper than any other in the UK by 1k and its totaly original and a seriously history heavy car being an ex VW Wolfsburg directors car, had people calling me offering me 2500 and they would take it that day

I actually told one bloke that I wasnt being f***ed for 2500!

Hold out for what you want, it sounds fair enough. Id never ever factor in what youve paid out in servicing or modifications tho as in reality at resale their worth nothing, a great example of this is my S3!

Best of luck selling it

My mate just paid 6k for a nice 89k X reg pre-facelift so yours seems cheap to me, but it is a buyers market (to a degree, if you dont NEED to sell then its still a sellers market, I will always pay that little more for the 'right' car, you just need to wait for that person, they are out there.

2nd Gear

Status
    I agree with the last comment, 4300 seems cheap, Selling cars is so bad ath the moment unless some one genuine wants one, all you going to get are chances looking for a cheap deal hoping you will give in,

when i bought my one in November they were like from6500 to 8000 at the ones i was looking at i settled for one inbetween that and now i see ones going very very cheap scary stuff i think i will keep mine for a long time,

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    I would say its too cheap in all honesty, at the end of the day, you have to look at it from a buuyers pov too....if that was me i would automatically think, theres something wrong or dodgy with it at a low price, not just with your car, but with anything I buy.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    See with a price tag of 4300, you have got people interested in your car, how much lower are you going to go when someone is making you an offer? As a buyer, I would presume 80% of the time, that the sticker price is negotiable, which is why I would always advertice the car for a higher price and take a reasonable hit to make the sale during these hard times. For the buyer, if I was looking at your put up for say 4750, and you are willing to sell @4250, then I'm thinking I've haggled 500 off you.
    Just my point of view, and good luck with the sale, 4300 is Dirt cheap for any S3!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

6th Gear

Status
    too cheap mate me thinks

5th Gear

Status
    If I was looking i'd think it was a little to cheap and there must be a reason for it.

I'd stick it up for a little more and see how it goes.

I wonder if S3 prices will level out soon, they seem to be dropping constantly !

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for all your comments, cars now sold, sold to the first person to view it as i expected.....now i can enjoy passat diesel driving! lol

5th Gear

Status
    Good stuff. If you are happy with what you got for it, then jobs a good 'un.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    nice one, chuffed for ya mate and glad we have another super cheap S3 off the market pulling the rest of our prices down
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartaw11 View Post
    thanks for all your comments, cars now sold, sold to the first person to view it as i expected.....now i can enjoy passat diesel driving! lol
    See, you need not have worried, Enjoy the Passat, and get your ass over to ukpassats.co.uk.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400