Broken Turbo, what options? (~£2000)

Splab333

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to another of James' "My S3 is broken" threads:icon_thumright:

My turbo has started to make a very faint/subtle ticking noise so im not expecting it to last that long.

What are my options? A replacement K04 isnt one!

I would love to go BT but im affraid its jusnt not possible at the moment, even though I would fit it all myself, its just too much £. I am however being forced to spend some money on a turbo it seems so.......

JBS hybrid? Looks tempting, and I would also get A JBS high flowing exhaust manifold too. These are quite expensive but for £2000 I should get in the region of 320bhp.

Backdraft hybrid? This is quite a lot less than the JBS one but JBS claim 300bhp with the turbo and a re map, where BD say it thiers will only achive 300bhp with a free flowing DP and a different cat which is bumping the price up! The JBS manifold is still an option with this turbo though.

And finally........

GT2871r Eliminator kit, I accept this is not in any way a viable otion if I was considering BT, BUT........ If I dont want more than say 330bhp, can this be mapped to suit, I know it is no GT2871r because the exhaust housing is restrictive but again, im thinking JBS manifold to help with lag and flow? (If they actually get it manufactured and on the shelf, its taking ages!)

Basically, if I have to spend a good few £100 on a turbo, I dont mind spending that little bit more on a better turbo, manifold, injectors and map, probably a fuel pump and FPR if I need them? What would the differences in characteristics be?

Any input would be great but please dont suggest saving a bit more for BT as I really dont want spending to get out of hand and rods etc will be too much at the moment. I know a lot of people dont like the eliminators but is that because they say that they are 400bhp turbos but really arent?

One other thought now though, if I were to get the eliminator, could I make it into a true 2871r by getting the exhaust housing? This may be a stepping stone to BT if I get to a point where I can fit rods etc.

Thanks, James

Put some sawdust in it, will quieten up a bit.

In all seriousness, if you want to go BT later, dont bother wasting money on an intermediate (tho 320bhp for 320bhp is ok, you should see the bills for mine) Plus all you need is to shell out on that for then more problems to crop up.

Plus in all reality the BT kit isnt really worth the money!

lol, pushing it off a pier crossed my mind before puttin saw dust in!

tho 320bhp for 320bhp is ok, what does that mean?

I think I should add, there is about a 10% of going BT in reality so we should forget I said that :whistle2:

What have you done to yours grathies?

cheers

Why isnt keeping a K04 an option?

As thats a £300 plus couple of hours labour. Not exactly expensive.

An way better £ per bhp than a big turbo.

or why not find a company to hybrid your k04 turbo, then you got a rebuilt hybrid turbo that will be as good as new

I meant 320bhp for £2000, sorry had a few drinks when I wrote that!

And pushing it off a pier doesnt quieten up the turbo, thats the cure for poor washerjets.

My cars been into QST and had just over £15k lavished on it for the MTM BT setup, not worth the money in my opinons (But there are cheaper options availible!)

Do the JBS etc larger turbos change driveability much? Is the car more Laggy with them on?

For normal driving, mine (With the QST MTM setup) is like any remapped S3, then once you get on FULL boost, at about 3k it really shifts.

There is a small touch of lag, the kind of small touch like the first time you feel up a new girlfriend, nothing to complain about tho