Coilovers fitted - knocking noice and gap!!!

audi18tdan

Reaction score
I have fitted coilovers and now i have a knocking sound which i never had with standard shocks, could this be the top mount bearings?

Also I have a gap at the top mount on both sides but heard this was normal but wondered if surely this would cause the wheels to drop down closing the gap and then lifting again creating a knocking sound!!!

Anyone else have this and know about it?

Many Thanks

Yeah need to especially as about to fit spacers too.

Anyway i have Racelands which are apprently just like Gmax which a mate pointed out to me on ebay going cheap so though hey why not and they looked and felt nice on mates so went for it.

I like the feel although a abit boucy over fast bumps but guess they're still bedding in as not been on long.

BTW do you have the gap issue at the top mount area?

there's always a gap on A3 topmounts dan, they don't seem to sit down flush to the turrets on any A3 I've seen. Did you change the top mounts and bearings when you did the coilies? My A3 knocked like hell when I first got it, and as a quick fix, I just tightened up the top mount bolts and it went away for a year!

Hey prawny,
i thought so, just like confirmation.

I just used same top mounts, bearings as low milleage car but you think it's worth replacing?
If so how much were yours at the time?

I have checked mine and done up as much as i can with the caliper key (long alllen key).

there's always a gap on A3 topmounts dan, they don't seem to sit down flush to the turrets on any A3 I've seen. Did you change the top mounts and bearings when you did the coilies? My A3 knocked like hell when I first got it, and as a quick fix, I just tightened up the top mount bolts and it went away for a year!