1/4 Mile Techniques

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Basically just wanted your advice on the best technique for a decent 1/4 time.

Ive got roughly 240 BHP and FWD with no TCS. As you can imagine 1st to 2nd is a bit of a handful.

I can imagine when i go to POD times wont be that good if im spinning up to 2nd-3rd.

Any-one got any tips for a good time up there bearing in mind my current set-up.

Haha, i knew that was coming :p

Seriously though if i can get a good start i cant see there being much in it with a mapped S3?

J

I reckon it will be quicker than a mapped S3 with the lighter weight.

mid range i agree..... although the weight of the S3 is offset by the greater power so may be slight difference, not huge

good question - ive been thinking this too, even with S3 it may be better to nurse the 1st change before planting it, surely a lot of the boost will be wasted in 1st otherwise?

Be interesting to see at the spring fest, dont want to get into an A3 vs S3 argument just interested to see the results!

Think i need some tips from some-one who has run a FWD car with no TCS down the strip really. Im thinking a more conservative shift from 1st to 2nd will be best though.

Any idea what sorta times Mapped S3's get on a good day? Just so ive got something to aim for?

J

the best ive seen is 14secs on standard tyres for bog standard mapped S3

You dont want traction control on the 1/4 anyway. its launch control you want lol

But no it depends on the car but its basically raise the revs to a certain point, possibly about 3000rpm, drop the clutch and feather the throttle until you have complete traction.

Bogging down is bad but spinning the tyres is just as bad. Its trying to get an inbetween. Difficult.

My friend had a 240bhp ibiza and fastest he got was 14.4.

S3 is much more simple, drop clutch, foot to the floor and hold on.

I agree with you minty, there's no need in nurseing 1st gear in the S3, just raise the revs to at least 4000rpm dump the clutch and get ready to quickly grab 2nd...:) I had an A3 with only 194bhp so your 240 job must be a handful, I'd go with your suggestion and take it a little easier till you find grip...

Be interesting to see at the spring fest, dont want to get into an A3 vs S3 argument just interested to see the results!

Think i need some tips from some-one who has run a FWD car with no TCS down the strip really. Im thinking a more conservative shift from 1st to 2nd will be best though.

I put a switch to one of the wires on my N75 on my old golf so i could have a low boost setting for faster launches,worked a treat.

depeding on the lightintg system used, go on the final orange because by the time you think about it launch the light is green and your off.
I nearly beat a embrassed skyline with this technique as he was sat waiting for the green!

depeding on the lightintg system used, go on the final orange because by the time you think about it launch the light is green and your off.
I nearly beat a embrassed skyline with this technique as he was sat waiting for the green!

deffinatly tip off the day, I had a similar experiance in my saxo vts, up against a sierra cosworth, it wasnt untill half way down the strip he came past me at 110, and I was only crossing the like at 98 and pulled 15.9s and a 0-60 of 6.9, now i come to think of it, he was properly doing it deliberatly to truly put me to shame haha but no seriously, deffo a good tip!

happy 1/4 mileing :racer:

Having never bothered with 1/4 miles as its for Fast and Furious ricers and proper American V8s my information may be void, but its based on what I've done when I had use of the airfield and had some spare slicks.

Everyone in the states doing 1/4 miles does it on sticky tyres, Hoosiers for the most part but they are expensive over here.

Get yourself some road legal slicks such as R888s, Yokos, Kumho V70A, Federal SS etc, or some Tarmac rally slicks.
Road legal slicks will be minimum £400 for the set, Or slightly worn tarmac slicks will be £150 the set but are not strictly road legal(I have a set we could do a mates rates deal on if you want).

Then get them hot before the run (this can be achieved by wetting them, then deliberately spinning them up).

Then do the technique as described above, 3000rpm, drop clutch and whack the acellerator down, being ready to change almost instantly, twice. (1-2nd, 2nd-3rd).

the extra traction provided by the sticky tyres combined with your stiff suspension to eliminate bogging down for the most part and provide instant traction.

Thanks for all the useful info guys,

So basically im aining for a 14sec time weather dependent, 3000 rpm then drop the clutch, launch when the last orange is lit. Ive got Yoko parada Spec 2's we'll see how grippy they are.

Aiming to get on a track at least once this year get back to what i know best! Im sure the 1/4 mile will be good fun though!

J

Im sure the 1/4 mile will be good fun though!

J

yer thats what its all about, it dusnt have to be racing, just see what your car can do on the day, legally, without the worry of police and pedestrians etc. have fun!

I had trouble getting the power down in my A4 at GTi Inters. I have since fitted racelogic TC with launch control and hope it will improve matters for the Spring fest.
I think my best time was with a 3.5k launch feathering the throttle till the balance between spin and bogging was past.
I am lucky as i have a long ratio box in mine so hope 2nd onwards to be straight forward

For the record..... Purple is the fastest colour :)

i thought black and purple were the most popular colours in the disability catagory?:p

I plan to fit Racelogic at some point, it comes in at a fair amount fitted though doesnt it? Around 1500 i heard?

Im sure my set-up with racelogic would be awesome though!

J

Ive got Yoko parada Spec 2's we'll see how grippy they are.

J

Quick answer for you.

They aren't.

They aren't even a particularly grippy road tyre, nevermind something that you want to be able to grip from a standing start.

Dont forget I've already tried all this, with a superior suspension setup, and more torque.
Yet It still spun the wheels all the time with everything except E marked slicks.

I would be suprised if you got 14s 1/4 but feel free to try lol.

Im still in two minds as to trying mine out on the 1/4. You just cant thrash a turbo car like you can a n/a one..

I miss my old polo, might buy it back. 15.5 from a 1.4 :lmfao:

Having never bothered with 1/4 miles as its for Fast and Furious ricers and proper American V8s my information may be void, but its based on what I've done when I had use of the airfield and had some spare slicks.

Everyone in the states doing 1/4 miles does it on sticky tyres, Hoosiers for the most part but they are expensive over here.

Get yourself some road legal slicks such as R888s, Yokos, Kumho V70A, Federal SS etc, or some Tarmac rally slicks.
Road legal slicks will be minimum £400 for the set, Or slightly worn tarmac slicks will be £150 the set but are not strictly road legal(I have a set we could do a mates rates deal on if you want).

Then get them hot before the run (this can be achieved by wetting them, then deliberately spinning them up).

Then do the technique as described above, 3000rpm, drop clutch and whack the acellerator down, being ready to change almost instantly, twice. (1-2nd, 2nd-3rd).

the extra traction provided by the sticky tyres combined with your stiff suspension to eliminate bogging down for the most part and provide instant traction.

Do you have any S3 sized slick/ cut slicks?
I could do with 2 . ive got 2 already but never got round to getting another 2

In a FWD car I found using the handbrake to hold the car on the biting point until the lights went green helped me get off the line a lot quicker and also stopped the car from feeling the full effects of dropping the clutch or a sharp launch.

S3 is much more simple, drop clutch, foot to the floor and hold on.

I never found the S3 easy to get a good launch in...
Too many revs and you hit peak torque and either spin all the wheels or burn the clutch (the more likely)
Slightly less revs and it bogged down.

I think I used to feed the clutch in at around 2500-3000, nail the throttle when the clutch was fully out, and hope...

I always thought my Yoko Parada Spec 2's were known for being pretty grippy as a road tyre? They're certainly better than the old P-zero's i had before.

Map has been tweaked recently it was only running at 250 ftlb's of torque, with the more boost ive now got Im pretty sure torque will be up a fair bit from that.

It's just going to be interesting on the day i think! If i can get a fairly good start then i'll hopefully get a half decent time,

Only time will tell i guess eh.....!

Jason

I never found the S3 easy to get a good launch in...
Too many revs and you hit peak torque and either spin all the wheels or burn the clutch (the more likely)
Slightly less revs and it bogged down.

I think I used to feed the clutch in at around 2500-3000, nail the throttle when the clutch was fully out, and hope...

Probably would of benefited from slightly longer 1st and 2nd gears?

I always thought my Yoko Parada Spec 2's were known for being pretty grippy as a road tyre? They're certainly better than the old P-zero's i had before.
Jason

Its a matter of relativity.

Grippy road tyres in good supply would be (in no particular order):

Toyo R888
Yokohama A048
Hankook Z211
Kumho V70A
Federal 595RS
Hankook RS2
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

and then one of the softest compounds of you bog standard tyres would be Toyo T1-R, followed by the slightly harder goodyear Eagle F1.

It always amazes me that Audi A3/S3 owners dont follow the already tried and tested tyre choices of VW Golf owners.
There are many more Golf owners, many more opinions, and sites like VWVortex where really in depth testing results have been posted.

The predominant standard road tyres on this chassis is Toyo T1-R and Goodyear Eagle F1 for a reason!

another thing to check is your tyre pressures, i used to run mine slightly lower for bit better grip.

and making the car lighter, ditch the crap in the boot spare wheel etc. i used to take the back seats out only a ten minute job with a few bolts.

might only make a midgies knacker difference but at least u feel like more of a drag racer with no back seats :arco: :redrs4:

Pffft whats the point in removing stuff if your gonna put it back in. Doesnt reflect the true everyday performance.

Toyo T1-R's are very grippy tyres in the dry. Not great in the wet from my experience. I shall be trying out the F1's next.

F1s are slightly better in the wet, not as grippy in the dry. However, offer far better wear characteristics.

Overall, I'd say the F1 GSD3 is a slightly better tyre.

Not sure if you cna get those any more though, and havent tried the Assymetric.

I got the F1 GSD's a couple of weeks ago and im pretty impressed with them, grippiness is noticably better than with the Michelin Pilots I had on the back, my fronts are crap, but I will be getting them changed as soon as i get some money :)

Pffft whats the point in removing stuff if your gonna put it back in. Doesnt reflect the true everyday performance.

True but it does create for better pub ammo which is all the 1/4 mile time is really, and if it makes the differencefrom 14.00 to 13... then thats better still!