Help!Oil smell

Lee R

Reaction score
Hi there lads long time lurker first time poster!

I have a 2002 S3, lately when the car is stationery, sometimes the car will start to smoke from the exhaust, the smell is like burning oil??

I have had the oil changed again, but when it smokes soon as the car is driven off it will stop smoking??Any ideas fellas of what this could be??

Regards

Lee

Sounds like the turbo is on its last legs. Could be a number of other things but a blown turbo seal is the likeliest scenario.

Has the car's performance changed, does it sound any different?

Sounds like the turbo is on its last legs. Could be a number of other things but a blown turbo seal is the likeliest scenario.

Has the car's performance changed, does it sound any different?

No the performance is still there pulls like a train! Doesnt sound any different either?? What else could it be?

It could be the piston rings or a blocked PCV system.

Or it might just be normal? Does this happen all the time? It could just be that the air is moist and on a chilly night this could make it look like the exhaust is smoking. Just a thought?

It could be the piston rings or a blocked PCV system.

Or it might just be normal? Does this happen all the time? It could just be that the air is moist and on a chilly night this could make it look like the exhaust is smoking. Just a thought?

No it doesnt happen all the time, here and there when the car is stationery, never smokes when pushed. PCV system? what is that?

Anyway to check any of these problems?

My bet is also Turbo. The seals can coke up allowing oil to get past them when idling as thats when least pressure is pushing the turbine against its seal plate. Its the stupid AVS that kills them.

The perfomance pay well be the same due to the shaft play still within spec, i would bet with the tip removed there would be in and out play in the turbo shaft, but not excessive side to side

so what am i looking at a turbo rebuild?

Are you smelling it inside the cabin or when you go round to the exhaust?

Sometimes i can smell oil through my air vents, but the exhaust 90% of the time is ok just here and there the oil smell comes through with a lil smoke?

Sometimes i can smell oil through my air vents, but the exhaust 90% of the time is ok just here and there the oil smell comes through with a lil smoke?

Do you have an aftermarket filter? Oil fumes from the breather can sometimes enter the cabin.

I have a K&N panel filter mate, thats all. Any other suggestions on this problem?