White / yellow scum on oil cap

IainW

Reaction score
I keep getting white/yellow scum on the oil cap. I have changed the oil cap as the rubber had perished but still get the scum. I took it to a garage who told me that there was nothing wrong with the head gasket and it was probably because I do not drive the car much. I do 18 miles a day so I dont think this is the case. They did say that the rocker gasket was seeping. The oil is clean and there is no scum on the dip stick. Has anyone got any suggestions to what the problem might be and any solutions?

Its normal, I had his on my S3 & S4, down to cold weather I believe & condensation, never caused an issue, no need to change filler cap either, given you do 18 miles a day I'd say probably why.

Also use the search facility as this has been discussed more than once on the site, saves reposting same info.

N.

1 solution is take the car for a good long run at a decent speed, the oil will heat up to above 100 degrees and boil off all the water.

Drive a loop of the M25, that'll sort it.

yup i agree, when i bought mine this was a concern but this engine does condensate quite a bit inside the rocker cover when left or hardly used - although 18 miles drive a day should clear it? id check the dipstick for any creaminess to be certain