Xenon bulb type

Mr.G

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm after the xenon bulb type from anyone who might have changed or replaced one.

I'm sure it's D2S but i'm not 100% sure.

G

Yeah its D2S mate, I just bought some PHILIPS 6000K Ultinon D2S bulbs of ebay, cost about £120 but well worth the money.

Oh my god.....£120 you can get the same thing for around £30 surely theres not that much of a difference in them?

Thanks for confirming the type.

G

theres got to be some sort of huge difference for the extra £90

The Xenon lamp you refer to is indeed a D2S fitment, the reason for the vast difference in price is due to the fact it is a "Discharge" lamp and different to the ones you buy in Halfords for £30, the ones in that price range are standard "Filament" lamps. When Halfords say "Xenon" lamp it does not mean they work in HID headlamps.

Hope that clears it up a bit!!

Craig

Are these not xenon bulbs??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-D2S-6000K-BULBS-PAIR-HI-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ220308606276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item220308606276&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I know the difference between the Halogens and HID craig was just saying that £120 as opposed to £30 is a massive difference.

G

Well from what i have seen, the bulbs what are about £40 just kinda glow, were as the £120 kinda give a more crisp clean light if you get me? If you look at everyone who has put a cheap £80 HID kit on there car off ebay, there head lamps just glow were as the more expensive ones dont.
have a good read on this site:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-A6-H7-XENON-HID-KIT-6000K-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ140301809604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item140301809604&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

does it matter how many k you use.....or r they dependant on the ballasts?

The k relates to the light temperature which is rated in kelvin. Standard S3 bulbs are 4300k which are supposed to offer the most "useful" light. The higher you go the more blue the light becomes which although may look nicer on the car, doesn't shine as brightly as the 4300k's.

They are D2S, I changed mine a couple of months ago using £30 5000k bulbs.

Mr G, stick to 4300-5000k colour temp. Anything higher and you're sacrificing looks for functionality. Also note that the S3 headlamps themselves are pretty bad, the projectors are cloudy and the cutoff is blurry, new bulbs can only help a little.

Well from what i have seen, the bulbs what are about £40 just kinda glow, were as the £120 kinda give a more crisp clean light if you get me? If you look at everyone who has put a cheap £80 HID kit on there car off ebay, there head lamps just glow were as the more expensive ones dont.
have a good read on this site:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-A6...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Am i being stupid?? I thought you could just buy 5000k or 6000k bulbs for a facelift S3 and put them in? This guy is selling the whole kit, or do you need everything in the kit to run them?

I need some help here guys.. I'm after a standard S3 xenon headlight (facelift) bulb.. I've been to my local dealers (automotive place, Allwoods..) and they say they do not stock the bulb, and it's ~£80 to order one in. Shocker!!

Would I be best approaching Audi for the part or is there anywhere you guys know of that the bulbs come in a slight bit cheaper? (just after the standard rating S3 bulb.)

thanks

Ive got the bulbs, D2S, can be used with your OEM ballasts....Normally £50 delivered for the pair but doing them at £40 for audi-sport.net members.....

Interesting. Are these your own items Ibzzzz, or do you run a shop as such?

Are they the standard 4300k bulbs?

£40 for the pair! Anyone else had any off you?

I have been supplying and fitting these kits for a few years now....You can have 4300k 5000k 6000k or 8000k, I refuse to sell anything above 8000k (even 8000k is pushing it abit)...Ive made only 2 sales with the audi guys...most of mine have been made from the corsa/polo/saxo boys....with no problems

Can i just ask....your 6000k Bulbs how would they compare to Ultinon Phillips bulbs?

I want new bulbs for my car but i'm totally undecided on which ones to go for. I'm sure your bulbs are great and i'm honestly swayed towards yours at £40 that is a bargain.

Why are ultinons so much money? It's making me think there's something special about them. Ibzzzz can you shed any light on this subject?

I would greatly appreciate it.

G

Ibzzzzz, What's this chap selling on here? as i already have HID's on the facelift S3 i obviously don't need the whole kit like he's selling, so are your bulbs as good as what he's got?? Is that all i need? two replacement bulbs?

Can i just ask....your 6000k Bulbs how would they compare to Ultinon Phillips bulbs?

I want new bulbs for my car but i'm totally undecided on which ones to go for. I'm sure your bulbs are great and i'm honestly swayed towards yours at £40 that is a bargain.

Why are ultinons so much money? It's making me think there's something special about them. Ibzzzz can you shed any light on this subject?

I would greatly appreciate it.

G

These japanese distributors are manipulating the fact that they have a well known brand name written on the side in this case phillips.....Also these are not made in germany, as they have not for use in europe written on the side, they have been developed in a cheap country normally made for a cheap country....Dont mean to brag but my items are developed in eastern europe in temprature controlled factorys with dedicated workers....The untinons packaging probably cost the "manufacturers" more than the product itself....

S£;685321 said:
Ibzzzzz, What's this chap selling on here? as i already have HID's on the facelift S3 i obviously don't need the whole kit like he's selling, so are your bulbs as good as what he's got?? Is that all i need? two replacement bulbs?

What hes selling is a H7 kit made for A3's that didnt have xenon as an option....

These japanese distributors are manipulating the fact that they have a well known brand name written on the side in this case phillips.....Also these are not made in germany, as they have not for use in europe written on the side, they have been developed in a cheap country normally made for a cheap country....Dont mean to brag but my items are developed in eastern europe in temprature controlled factorys with dedicated workers....The untinons packaging probably cost the "manufacturers" more than the product itself....

What hes selling is a H7 kit made for A3's that didnt have xenon as an option....

Thanks mate! so yours are £40 for a pair of 6000k DS2's?

Hi i have D2S HID Orginal fitment Xenon bulbs in stock now, been selling these ever since i had to pay £95 for 1 bulb:puke2:, Vowed never to make same mistake again, it gives me great plesure supplying these to fellow VAG owners £35.00 a set, i have had nothing but thank you's and praises

I have got 4300k and 6000k upgrades.. mine have the anti glare 'bubble', ehich you need to ensure they pass MOT, PM if interested, Cheers

Got a picture of yours by any chance mate?

Ibzzzz, sorry to be extremely thick but whats the difference in light quality etc between a bulb bought by audi at £100 a pop compared to the bulbs you supply at half that?

I'm still in the market for some new bulbs. Haven't bought any as yet!

Ultinons?

Ibzzz?

Hate making decisions. How much are yours again Ibzzz?