Spare keyfobs

griffin1

Reaction score
Website
www.kontraband.co.uk
What is the cost of getting a spare keyfob (new version with boot button) as i only got one with my A3.
Imagine Audi expensive but are they the only ones you can buy them from ?

I think it will be quite expensive as the new key will have to be coded for the engine immobiliser.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a dealer has to phone Audi in Germany with you engine details and they then fax a code which is only valid for about 90 minutes!

well mate, i know from audi they are 100 quid as i know someone who works in the dealers and thats what he told me,you can buy them from ebay for about 20 quid though!
then you need to get it programmed which im not sure how much it is!

not sure if the 1.8 t will be compatable with the boot release ( correct me if im wrong)

i think it can be done throught VAG-COM (not too sure,but as before correct me if im wrong) which is a diagnostics program (dont mean to seem like im dumbing it down, but as your new you might not know) if you ask someone on here nicely they might be able to meet you and do it!

hope this helped, sorry if it didnt

The price from Audi for a replacement 3-button remote plus key is £140, then it's a further 1/2 hours labour to programme both the immobliser chip and the remote central locking to work with your car. To order one you need your V5 (car logbook)and car details from the data sticker.

It is a false saving to get one from ebay (or second hand in general) for 3 reasons.

1. you have to get a key blank cut and fitted.
2. you have to get the immobiliser chip programmed to your alarm system
3. you have to have the remote central locking programmed to your car.

Is it really worth saving a few bucks on a DIY solution on what is a really important feature of your car? If the key f*cks up you're left with a very big paper-weight that's no use to man nor beast (and the cost of getting it sorted will cost a damn sight more than the saving you made).