Snow

S3Matt

Reaction score
I meant to post this here about a week ago but did didn't quite get round to it... I recently went up to Glenshee skiing and so read up on all the tips I could find on here about driving in the snow... and thought I'd share my own experience. (It too me over 5 hours to drive from Glasgow - Braemar, going via Aberdeen as (a) Perth road was closed and (b) even if it wasn't no way would I have attempted it late at night in this sort of weather; and almost certainly one of the scariest drives of my life as it was almost total white out by the time I reached Braemar)

The next moning I had to take this car (-6 degrees in this photo, and had been colder overnight):

carinsnow.jpg

Up this hill (hardest part of the whole journey, never mind the road from Braemar - Glenshee!):

snowroad.jpg

To ultimately get here:

glenshee.jpg

Was curious about the differing opinions on the effectiveness of ESP and Quattro... I can say for certain that in this sort of condition ESP is most certainly best left off... the car went nowhere with it on... and also that summer tires or no, the s3 was overtaking stranded lesser cars left right and centre on the Glenshee road! It was also solid as a rock on normal icy with light covering of snow type roads... didn't slide once... kept ESP firmly on here tho. Go quattro! Anyone who thinks it doesn't make a difference in these sort of conditions is quite simply wrong!

I drove From Inverness to Perth the other week and it was hairy in parts but only because the haldex system would react violently when going from a grippy surfice to an icy one.

Would transfer power to the back making it step out even in a straight line. Its fine for someone who knows how to control the car but some people might be tempted to stampt on the brakes which is likely to send the car flying off the side of the road. Not great.

On a contant surface whether its ice of dry tarmac the haldex is very good.

tip ; dont park on ice, quattro wont stop the chuff slipping down a hill whilst parked:keule::)

looks like someone had fun! how was the skiing up there?

We had a lot of snow in the midlands and it was the first time for me in the S3. I tried every more increasingly challenging roads and it didn't falter once - really impressed. I took some snowy pics that I'll put on later.

Tim has your run of bad luck ended yet?

yup Deece tis all over, luckily my local B shop can fix the bumper so no need to buy new, ill just get it all done when it goes in for the key scratch... cheers for asking mate

looks like someone had fun! how was the skiing up there?

Great fun! Skiing was great due to the crap weather in morn keeping everyone away (see pic). Those of us who persevered were rewarded with it brightening up mid morning and almost a whole day of empty slopes. Snow was good as well... proper powder, not the usual Glenshee offerings of sheet ice/pools of slush with heather sticking thru!

The road between Braemar and Glenshee is a fantastic drive too, was lucky to have it all to myself as I left around 3pm... by the time the snowplows and gritters had done their work too. Stunning part of the country

The skiing sounds good. My local golf course opens for skiing when it snows but I didn't have time. Bit of a ****** cos with it being in the midlands it doesn't happen too often!

CIMG8380xx.jpg

CIMG8367x.jpg

It can snow on sunday but i need to get to a wedding on saturday.
It be ok if i was the guest but i'm not.
So no snow just yet please. thanks.

Your sympathy is touching. Skiiers & snowboarders should bu**er off to Europe. They expect snow!!

Mind you, Xmas was fun in the Lakes last year. The S3 was excellent in 12" of snow, although the snow plough effect of the spoiler was a downside...

Cheers,

Last edited:
Yeah well we're expecting our 3rd baby this weekend. If it snows then I'm taking the Mrs to the hospital in the S3, but she's gonna have to sit on a blanket!

Good luck Paul, hope all goes well and the weather holds out for you.

This is just the beginning, i reckon we're are going to be seeing a LOT more snow:cold:

Be careful people:thumbsup: the haldex can only do so much lol

I need to get myself a flippin quattro :( I nearly skidded off a country road because of the grit.... and the budget tyres........ and the fact that i was going too fast.

AWWW I want to be at home with my car! being at uni i dont have the S3 to play around in until xmas, last year in the snow it was epic! And thats only with the haldex set up! how much fun would fully blown permanant 4wd be?!

Can't have been too hard a climb, Matt, seeing as someone managed in an E46 3-series!

I got up this morning wanting snow and all i got was ice.
Not enouth to stop me from getting to work though :(

Maybe todays rain might bring some better resualts for me.

last year the dogs was towing me around the street. It seemed a more efficent way of walking them as well. :)