S3 Bodywork Problem

BillyM

Reaction score
Hi there.

Just got myself an S3 a couple of weeks ago, and have had a huge grin on my face ever since - it's great fun. Been looking around here for a month or so and have found some useful info - although I've not posted before I have found the answers to many of my questions here in previous posts, so thanks. However, I have a question of my own that I hope someone can help me with.

Whilst on the M25 at the weekend some sort of debris came out from under the car in front of me and unfortunately I didn't have time to avoid it myself. It went under the passenger side wheels and has taken off a small piece of bodywork. Anyway, as it has not caused any damage other than taking this piece of bodywork off, I was hoping to be able to get hold of the part and fix it on to the car myself, rather than going to the expense of getting Audi to do it.

The advice I'm hoping someone can give me is... Does anyone know where I can get hold of the part, how much would it cost and is it easy to fit (it looks like it from what I can see - a simple case of sliding the front in and clicking it into place)? Or should I just get the Audi boys to sort it out?

The exact part is the small plastic bit immediately in front of the left rear (passenger side) wheel, that starts at the bottom of the wheel arch and goes forward from there about 6 inches, in my case it needs to be Ming Blue. It's the bit just below the grey sill, if you see what I mean. I appologise for the highly "un-technical" description I have given, but it's the best I can do, I hope you undestand which bit I mean. I would put a picture up, but I don't have access to my computer at the moment!!

Anyway, thanks very much for any help you can give, it would be much appreciated!!
Cheers,

Billy M

P.S. Having had a search around on another subject entirely, I gather that Mobil 1 is the best oil to use in an S3, is this correct? Thanks.

Dont know the part number or price but while your there you might aswell get two. Those bits tend to get chipped to bit's and look crap when you wash it.

if its the corner skirt immediately infront of rear wheels they are approx £10 unpainted from audi.

they are reasonably eay to remove.

open passenger door.

gently tap grey sill trim forwards with palm of hand. It slides out of some T slots. take it off.

this will expose a screw, and remove all other screws from archliner and underneath... (cant remember exactly how many) but they are Torx IIRC.

then all that holds it on is some industrial velcro.

tap with palm of hand towards the rear and unclip/seat it from its position.

reverse instructions to refit.

if i have missed anything it should be fairly obvious.

Hope this helps.

Mobil one, or the Castrol Formula SLX ( NOT SLX II) if you are on AVS variable servicing.

I use the Castrol. Its what both of my S3's have been supplied from factory with.

just make sure you get an oil with VW503.01 spec for AVS servicing.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. That's the bit - the corner skirt. My ramblings trying to explain what bit it was summed up in 2 words, thanks.

Just been out and taken off the sill as you said - works a treat!! It reveals the screws etc. and as I'd hoped it confirmed that nothing down there is damaged which is good news, as it means that the corner sill is all that is needed, and no extra work.

Don't quite know how the debris managed to take off the part without doing any other damage in that area, but it's a bonus that nothing else is broken. I guess that as it's held on by velcro, it's quite easy to knock it off!!

So I'll get on to Audi tomorrow and get the part ordered.

The car is absolutely brilliant, and so early in my ownership it hurts to see it anything less than perfect, so thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Cheers
Billy M

It's probably a stupid question i guess??

Can yi get mudflaps for the S3? anyone go them? Would they look good??

Oh Well,Im Bored!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marky...