Audi S3 Engine

SkimpyBeardy

Always Choose An S3 'Simples'
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been visiting classified Audi s3's for abit now and have been put off with the ones with high mileage, although they are cheaper I am comforted buy a car with reasonably low mileage- 60-80,000 is what im after. I have heard that these engines are bullet proof??.

However before I waffle on! Just wandering what is a good mileage to go for when buying, & when do problems start to occur?, as i want to hold onto my S3 for a good 5-6 years! and do about 20,00 a year.

Also who on the forums has the most mileage on their S3 and still going strong?, Would be interesting to see.

Thanks Guys..

Personally I'd say buy on the overall condition of the car, not it's age or milage.

I wouldn't say the 1.8T engine is bullet proof as there are common faults which can result in issues (coil packs for one) but internally they seem to be pretty tough. As for milage, some members have north of 150,000 on their 1.8's with no problems but I think that is mainly due to regular servicing / oil changes etc.

Good luck with the search & get some pics up when you do find the right car

Mike

135K and counting with no issues - higher milers on here i'm sure.

104K, feels like new.

hoping to get to a million like that volvo did in the US, i wonder if audi will give me a new car also ?

121k on mine now, now major problems. Just normal little things like any car has. Dont be put off cars with over 100k as long as they have been looked after

i seen a 1.8t engine on 180k and still going strong, the engine's are bomb proof, especially when they are standard, as said as long as they are serviced regually they will go on forever, i have had about 11 1.8t cars or so, and apart from the coilpacks and air flow meters and few other little bits, they are good engines, one of the best engines out there IMO

Yes these are bullet proof im on well over 100k and its feels like new when i bought !

i think HTC on here has hit 180k, and has big turbo

mines on 120k now, but with new rods valves and pistons, ready for big turbo kit.

i wouldnt worry bout one with 90k, as long as its a good service history

I drove Jesters S3 about 6 months ago and that had 163k on the clock with 15k of that being remapped. Apart from slightly soft suspension if felt like new and is probably on quite a bit more than that now.