Tail Brake lights not working, but the 3rd one is working.

sixsr

Reaction score
I've noticed a problem with my A3 brake lights.

The two tail lights weren't working, but the high level 3rd one still works. I've replaced the bulbs and checked the connections in the tail light, all seems ok - but still they're not working.

I thought it could be the light switch, but was told that would probably mean that none of the lights would work.

Any suggestions what the fault could be?

I'm pretty sure there is an individual fuse for the rear brake light - might be worth checking

Just checked my handbook, its fuse number 13 (10amps) for the rear brake lights

Nice one, thats what I should've done!

I'll check this out in the morning.

thanks!:icon_thumright:

Yeah check rear cluster plugs, the 2 lenses are linked as one side has all wires into it then it goes across rear of boot to other, see if its come loose, any water corrosion which I doubt, but are the rest of the rear lights working ok, like reverse, indicators, fog etc?

Get VCDS if none of these work, this will assist.

You havnt done any work on rear of car or any part of car at all recently or anyone else?

Uh no the headlight switch could be faulty interms of positions as it uses multiple contacts within, try messing with the switch aswell, not beyond possibilities, check other fuses, think outside of the box, dont always believe whats in front of you, anythings worth a try as its only time huh

All of the other lights are working ok, I was beginning to think it might be a wiring fault.

I think further investigation is needed, once it stops raining I'll go out and give it another going over!

I've only had the car a few weeks, so I'd presume they've been faulty since I got it.