AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Simple checks if HG has gone?

I found that dreaded creamy gunk under the oil filler cap today, i have wiped it all clean, and i have read back through the old threads on here for any other checks i can do, but most of them seem quite time consuming, has anyone got any quick checks i can do to determine if it is he HG or not?

Any help will be much appreciated

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    its probably just condensation from doing short distance driving quite common , but usual symtoms are overheating temp gauge rises above 90 quickly , and white smoke from exhaust ,

Reverse Gear

Status

hg problems

Quote Originally Posted by nikquatty View Post
    its probably just condensation from doing short distance driving quite common , but usual symtoms are overheating temp gauge rises above 90 quickly , and white smoke from exhaust ,

usual signs of HG falure are deposits of oil in wafer filler res, loss of water, over heating, creamy deposits in oil filler, . minor Hg falure can be cured with Hg fixing additive with succesfull results,

S3

Status
    Don't rule out oil cooler failure (if 1.8Ts have them?)

6th Gear

Status
    Or get a 'sniff test' done at you local garage. It's supposed to detect HG failure accurately. I don't know what the cost of getting it done is but if it came back negative, you can sleep a little easier knowing that it is likely to be something more simple like the oil cooler failing.

1st Gear

Status
    mine just went, no smoke tho till the later stage, after about 500kms since the first sign of gunk in filler cap.
    Pull the dipstick out and check the oil deep down in the engine.

Is it using coolant?

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    Sniff test cost me 10 last time i had one done, since then i have got a kit and can do it my self.
    Black S3

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    Black S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you all for your replies.

Right well, the short distance thing is what i hope it is because, i drive 1 mile to work each day and thats about it!. So the car basically runs on choke for the day.

As for the overheating, i dont think my temp gauge works, becasue when i am driving it constantly stays at around 60, but if i am not moving and the car is on idle it will reach 90.

I will have to go to the garage and have a look into one of those 'sniff tests'. Also is that the same as a compression test??

No white smoke, only the first 5 minutes of driving if i put my foot down, but again not much comes out.

And finally, the coolant level seems to have stayed the same level for a while now.

Thanks
    Mag

Neutral

Status
    I would personally think the HG is fine, the short journeys you do are a major contributer to the white gunge!
    Also I would say the thermostat is shot too. The gauge should reach 90 and stay there. The oil is not getting up to normal operating temperature, thus causing the condensation in the oil not to burn off causing the mayo!

I would recommed in the first instance to change the thermostat and take the car for a good run on M'way and A roads... if the mayo is still there after that I would then look at HG issues...

I hope this helps!

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    lol 1 mile a day!

Walk! I would take your car for a nice long drive, give it a treat lol

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Reverse Gear

Status
    "lol 1 mile a day!

Walk! I would take your car for a nice long drive, give it a treat lol"

lol, would you really want to take a 1.8 non turbo for a drive??!
    So lazy but, it genuinly is quicker to walk, but the mornings are just so cold!

Thanks Jimbo
    I will look into getting the thermostat changed, any ideas of price? or where to get one from?

I'll fill her up and take her for a drive at the weekend and il see how it goes (fingers crossed!)

Status

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mrr_1990@hotmail.com View Post
    i drive 1 mile to work each day and thats about it!.
    LMAO one mile!!!

Neutral

Status
    I would prob be inclined to go to either the dealer or maybe GSF?
    The latter part og this thread will give you an indication of the work involved.... What temp does your S3 run at?
    One of the bolts is a pain to get to, but patients and persistance is the key here! :-)