Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Ipod With Standard Head Unit, Which Cable To Use? ( so many different ones! )

Hey All,

I have done a search but there doesnt seem to be any actual links to the cable or what ever I need.

I havent got my s3 yet, but im just sorting the things out I want while im looking for one!

so a few questions!

does it matter what s3 headunit you have to wat cable you buy?

iv looked on ebay for cables, but there are alot of different ones and all different prices,

can any one suggest one to use? I dont want bluetooth or anything like that, just want to be able to use ipod without having to buy a different headunit!

Cheers Dan

2. # ADS
    ADS

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    Denison icelink, thats the one i got.

Not worth the extra expense of the cd retention cable though. I bought it & never use it...
    ...... Waiting Paitently...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I might have a Dension 100 kicking around, Its as new... I had it in my S3 for a couple of weeks then swapped my double din symphony for a single din setup and have an iPod compatible headunit. My brother was gonna have it but he is now selling his car and I don't think he wants it anymore.

If you are interested, them PM me.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    ah chuf tufty, i wanted that one off you!!

the denison icelink is different to the gateway 100, and to make matters more confusing the gateway 100 now has modified HU controls so you can play all your playlists.....

I have the most recent gateway 100 and love it, although it wasnt cheap at approx 105 delivered from ipodcarkitsdirect
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    I might have a Dension 100 kicking around, Its as new... I had it in my S3 for a couple of weeks then swapped my double din symphony for a single din setup and have an iPod compatible headunit. My brother was gonna have it but he is now selling his car and I don't think he wants it anymore.

If you are interested, them PM me.

<tuffty/>
    Does this allow me to use my IPOD with my Concert Head unit? Mine is the Tape player one with loads of buttons on it. If it does can i have first dibs please? Cash waiting!

P.s - Will this also allow me to control some of the feature of the ipod using the buttons on the HU.? I have a brand new "slim" IPOD nano the latest one out!

Many thanks

G

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Mr G it will work with the SYm 2 system which is double DIN.... this the one i have and i can confirm that it will work with this and you willl be able to use the buttons to control.... i have gateway 100 kit with new nano, apparently the only upgrade since the icelink other than functionality was to upgrade to IPOD touch....all other ipods work retrospectively

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    ah chuf tufty, i wanted that one off you!!

the denison icelink is different to the gateway 100, and to make matters more confusing the gateway 100 now has modified HU controls so you can play all your playlists.....

I have the most recent gateway 100 and love it, although it wasnt cheap at approx 105 delivered from ipodcarkitsdirect
    I know mate... My brother said he would have it and is now selling the car!!!

@Mr G, PM'd you earlier with all the details, let me know what you want to do.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    no probs fella.....

1st Gear

Status
    Where does the cable go?? do you have to remove the unit and connect to the back? as there is nowhere to put a wire in the front!!

1st Gear

Status
    is there anychance someone can post a pic up of what the cable looks like at each end??

Brum brum

Status
    Cable goes in the back of the stereo and in doing so, replaces the connection to the CD autochanger in the boot. It doesn't matter if the car doesn't have a changer in it - the cable will still be there.

You just route the iPod cable through to a convenient place in the car. Some people put it in the glovebox, I've got mine in front of the gearstick in the cubbyhole.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Brum brum

Status
    There are also some 'generic' cables which will do the trick. Mine was 55 from eBay.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    the iso connector goes into the back of the HU and connects to a module which you can mount behind the glovebox, the cable to the ipod comes out of the module eithr to a dash mounted mount or a loose cable in the glovebox (where i have mine mounted to a bracket on the drop down drawer)