Volks AutosBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Traction Control Wont Turn On When Driving?

Hey all,

I went to view an s3 today, decided not to buy it in end as all seemed a bit dodgy!

but the traction control wasnt working properly

it would turn on when the ignition was on, and stay on when started the car, but as soon as u start driving, it would turn straight off, and then the button for it wouldnt do anything, and u couldnt turn it back on?

is this a common fault? and is it easy fixed?

just so i know when i go and look at other s3s!

Cheers Dan

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    The esp light comes on with ignition then should go out as with the air bag light for example. The only time its lit is when you turn it off as a reminder its been manually turned off and when its actually working ie when you are losing traction, when this happens it flashes on and off quickly.
    Nik.

Quote Originally Posted by VTI_EG_DAN View Post
    Hey all,

I went to view an s3 today, decided not to buy it in end as all seemed a bit dodgy!

but the traction control wasnt working properly

it would turn on when the ignition was on, and stay on when started the car, but as soon as u start driving, it would turn straight off, and then the button for it wouldnt do anything, and u couldnt turn it back on?

is this a common fault? and is it easy fixed?

just so i know when i go and look at other s3s!

Cheers Dan
    Last edited by S3 NIK; 14th February 2009 at 16:34.

Neutral

Status
    yeh this light was on the whole time when driving, and when car was started the button wouldnt do anything, and warning light would just stay on

1st Gear

Status
    In which case there's a fault somewhere and it would need a diagnostic check to pin point the fault.
    Nik.

Quote Originally Posted by VTI_EG_DAN View Post
    yeh this light was on the whole time when driving, and when car was started the button wouldnt do anything, and warning light would just stay on

4th Gear

Status
    Yep there will be a problem with it. as mentioned above It whould be off after you have started the car unless you turn it off by pressing the button.

it could be a common problem as some of the sensors are known to fail, but needs a diagnostic scan to find which one. I wouldnt buy it until its sorted though

Yaz
    1st Gear

Status
    More than likely the longitude sensor or something like that has failed and needs replacing. This is a common problem with the TT also.

When this happens, its ok to drive the car but just means the ESP wont work!
    1994 Audi 100 Avant 2.5TDI
    1987 VW Scirocco Scala

sixth gear

Status
    has the battery been played with because there is an plug in on the back of it and if its not making a good connection would cause this type of fault.easy to check and could save you money if it is this
    S3 TUNED AT MRC

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Mine used to come on due to the problem I had with my MAF. It did take a while but after a bit of spirited driving it would come on and sta on until I turned the ignition off.

VAGCOM would help you... it may be a fault that a cheap fix or a way of getting a good price on an otherwise decent car.

The seller must have known there was a prob (even if they don't know what it is)

Good luck finding a car, its a buyers market and the right one will come along

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Can also come on with a bad ABS sensor.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    Can also come on with a bad ABS sensor.

Yep but the abs light would also be on.