Can I remove that chrome grill surround?

RyanS3TT

Reaction score
Does anybody know if i can remove that horrid chrome grill surround on my A3? I dont like the chrome look and I want to take it off more of an S3 look, I will be getting S3 bumpers later in the year, but for now, has anybody removed theirs?

S3s had chrome grill surrounds as standard anyway, but you can pop it off with a flatblade under the edge. I painted mind a flat metallic grey for a subtle look. If you leave it off you can see the clip holes

I painted mine matt black at the weekend. I found it easiest to get a flat head screw drive under the middle of the bottom of the surround then use your fingers to gently free up the clips. Like grathies says it looks pony with it off so paint it and stick it back.

Do you need to get round the back of the grill when putting them back on?
Also what tye of paint is best and will it need laquering?

no wibble it just clips straight back on.....no need to go behind it at all.... up to you if you use laquer, obviously this may ditract from the matt/satin look, make it better for when stones hit it though!!

The chrome surround just pops off and pops back on again..very simple. Be careful though as they can get a bit brittle..I've heard of people snapping them.

I rubbed mine down with some wet and dry (be warned it's quite a tedious task!) then painted it with 3 coats of Halfords plastic primer (the grey stuff in a rattle can) and then 5 coats of whatever Halfords black Audi paint was. No need for lacquer at all. Some of you may choose to paint yours a different colour, maybe a dark grey to match the grille or the same colour as your bodywork. I chose black as it matched my bodywork.

Andy

Thanks for the advice lads, now i really dont know what to do, love the look of yours in the snow tim, but i dont know whether it'll suit mine with it being silver with chrome mirrors. :unsure:

best bet is to do a search for grathies S3....he did his a while back...hopefully he'll read this and post up, looked really good on silver IMO

Well...
I Just attempted to take off the surround, and frankly its F***ing impossible..
No clips start to unclip, all i can feel is the surround about to snap..
This is NOT as easy as it sounds...

it isnt you just have top get flat blade in and mess around till it pops then work your way from that point

Haha, I got worked up, Its tricky but i manged it, the audi rings jsut poped off, but the surround took some pulling..

Its off now, rubbed down and im waiting on some primer to start spraying..

Anybody think Matt Black is the best colour for my car?

matt will be harder to clean and would in theory rub off easier.... i used several coats of black primer Plastikote...that did all it needed to for me..hasnt chipped yet

Waahayyy!!
Its done now..
Took 3-4 hours to prep and get sprayed, took a whole day in total, but its on the car now, and looks great, the bottom doesnt sem to sit back on properally but tahts a task for 2moro.

I have a photo i jsut took, its dark so not great, will take another tomorrow, but this is the look.
photo0103hn2.jpg

Thanks for your help guys..

Will take another in the morning..

:respekt::respekt::respekt:

Looks good mate, if i can get remission from the missus today i may attempt mine

I took a better picture now..

One more question..

Should I have gone for more aof a shine?

photo0105zv3.jpg

Thanks to everyones help...

If you are trying it Wibble, Id say...
Use the smallest longest flat ehad screwdriver youve got, to avoid damage to paintwork, and lever the clips off...

there are about 15 clips in total, jsut need to pull the grill (from bottom) up and out.

It does feel like its going to snap, and i bent mine a tad but I jst remoulded it and sanded it down.

and make sure you have lots of time, as I got wound up doing mine, the cold doesnt help as your fingers get very sore very quick..

Good Luck tho Mate...:rolleyes:

Well i've done it, and the rings aswell, unsure about the rings though, may go back chrome with the rings.

Going to leave it as it is for now though, opinions welcome.

grill-1.jpg

Spot on Wibble...

Nice job too..

I think on my car rings black looks good as the car is black, the chrome rings my suttley look good on yours, however i like it the way it it...

How many coats did u give it? i did 2 primer, 3 black...

how hard was it to get the surround off for you?

:salute:

Spot on Wibble...

Nice job too..

I think on my car rings black looks good as the car is black, the chrome rings my suttley look good on yours, however i like it the way it it...

How many coats did u give it? i did 2 primer, 3 black...

how hard was it to get the surround off for you?

:salute:

They came off pretty easy with a bit of gentle persuasion and a flat bade driver (thanks for the tips guys) I took tims advice and used plastikote black primer and gave them 6 coats, then put them on top of a radiator when they were touch dry for an hour, the paint seems to have took well but i suppose only time will tell.

Took me a few hour sanding them though.

I was originally only going to do the surround but then i took off the rings to see how it looked black and thought stuff it, paint them, if it doesnt grow on me i'll get a new chrome one.

Haha trial and error... Nice...

Im wondering, about the backl audi rings now...

What about them black? and dbadge the A3...
Have the 1.8 ther with a red T..

Opinions?

There was a thread about painting the trim not long ago with a noggy blue S3 with the back rings done black and IMO it looked the nuts.

Dont really fancy doing mine though, bet its a nightmare lining the badge back up when you put it back on.

Hmmm... Ill bet, Ill search for this thread. thanks wibble

Well i've done it, and the rings aswell, unsure about the rings though, may go back chrome with the rings.

Going to leave it as it is for now though, opinions welcome.

grill-1.jpg
i am thinking of doing mine i have a silver one too, dont know about the rings though, just cant decide i have the alli mirrors which kind of go with the shiney surround, any mor opinions guys?