Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications

Thread: Dipstick Funnel

3rd Gear

Status

Dipstick Funnel

I need to remove my dipstick funnel. Does this thing screw off? If so, what direction - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

It's really brittle and alot of it has broken to pieces when I try and get a hold of it!

2. # ADS
    ADS

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    it just pulls off mate, mine broke just above where is connects to the metal pole.... so had to get long nose pliers to pull the thing off

when you push the new one on you need to make sure its full pushed down as its quite a tight fit...no thread etc involved
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Yeah just pulls off and pops back on. Mine also broke at the metal pole and needed pliers to remove the piece from inside the end!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Be very careful not to drop any fragments into the metal tube. It will break, they always do.

6th Gear

Status
    I snapped my disptick tube when changing my thermostat, found bits stuck inside the metal part of the dipstick tube that I carefully got out. A week later, I took the sump off to inspect the oil pick up after hearing horror stories on another forum of blocked pick-up pipes killing 1.8T engines, found a fair few bits lodged in my pick up pipe!

Maybe not enough bits in there to cause any short term damage but deifinately wouldn't help having them there. If you do see any remnants of the plastic tube inside the metal pipe, it's worthwhile taking the sump off and checking it!

Status
    Thanks for that Imteyaz. Any tips with regards to taking the sump off?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Cross that bridge if you come to it. Plug the metal tube with something (that obviously won't fall down itself).

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    a tampon may do the trick if you have any lying about
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Used to hang a tampon on my rear view mirror once apon a time.

hmmmmm interesting.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    Used to hang a tampon on my rear view mirror once apon a time.
    for that unexpected emergency leak ?
    Call of Duty Zombie Slasher.

6th Gear

Status
    The dipstick tube fits over the 'outside' and 'inside' of the metal tube part of the dipstick if that makes sense, the part that would sit inside is the metal tube is the part that unfortunately shattered and fell inside the sump.

I saw some bits that were stuck around the top of the metal tube and carefully used a small flathead screwdriver to lift them out but hadn't realised that some bits had fell through...

Taking the sump off is fairly easy but it helps to have a long (6 - 12") 1/4" drive extension and 10mm 1/4" drive socket to get at the 3 nuts on the gearbox side, visibility is poor due to design, other than that, disconnect the oil level sender, drain oil, and remove sump.

Take off oil pickup pipe (two bolts) and clean thoroughly, shine a light on the gauze part and look at it in all angles as it's difficult to see clearly (you'll see what I mean when you get there). Look for orange plastic dipstick tube remnants in sump too, clean sump thoroughly (a degreaser works well, allow to dry naturally without using a cloth / paper towel so that no fibres are left stuck anywhere they shouldn't be). I used compressed air to blow from the metal tube that would sit inside the sump outwards to minimise any air blowing dirt up into the block too.

Fitting is the reverse of removal as Mr. Haynes states! I don't have the torque figures handy but they are listed in Mr. Haynes's manual. There is no separate cork / rubber gasket for the sump to block fitment, apparently you can buy the correct sealant for refitting the sump (white gasket glue) but I used blue hylomar (sp?) sparingly and it hasn't leaked (yet!)

Hope that helps guys, you will be surprised at seeing about 1/2 a litre of oil still in the sump when you take it out as the oil drain plug does not sit at the lowest point, when doing this job you will successfully have removed 99% of the old oil in your engine but be prepared for drips so if your working on your drive have some rags / cardboard ready. Don't forget to change the oil filter whilst you are at it too. Refill oil before starting engine (obviously!) and then drive around, safe in the knowledge that the sump is full of fresh oil with no other contaminents!

1000 miles later and my engine oil still looks like golden honey!
    Last edited by Imteyaz; 12th February 2009 at 16:17.

3rd Gear

Status
    I got the funnel of by getting my hand down to the base of the funnel and pulling it off.

I noticed the same thing that Imteyaz did, with some of the inner part of the funnel stuck to the metal tube part.

I've removed this inner part with a screw driver and got it all out. I've shone a light down the metal tube and can see no plastic bits.

My funnel broke a few months ago and I am just replacing it now. So, I've been driving around with it broken for the last while, with no noticeable problems.

I'm wondering what I should do now? I wouldn't be able to take off the sump myself.

Will it be safe to keep driving? Or should I get it to a mechanic to take the sump off and check it out?
    Last edited by metricspaces; 13th February 2009 at 15:51.

3rd Gear

Status
    ?

Status
    I'm sure mine has a few bits in there too so if you see a post by me on here saying my engine has gone bang due to oil starvation you can book yours in to have the sump off
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    I'm sure mine has a few bits in there too so if you see a post by me on here saying my engine has gone bang due to oil starvation you can book yours in to have the sump off
    Thanks! Keep me updated

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean to panic anyone!

Yes, my oil pick-up pipe had collected some plastic bits from my dipstick funnel but I don't think it would have been enough to have caused any immediate damage.

Apparently, due to German over-engineering, there is more than adequate oil pressure created by the pump so oil starvation would only occur if there was many many bits collected in the pick up strainer, looking at the amounts that could posibly end up in there I would hazard a guess and say there probably wouldn't be enough plastic that could fall in there, it's just a shock to see bits collected when you do though!

If you can take the sump off yourself then do it, earn some piece of mind, otherwise I would leave it, especially if the car has no other problems with oil pressure etc.

I previously had a Golf GTI MKII that would suffer from oil pressure loss, the buzzer would come, the lights would flash on the instrument binnacle, scary! When I took the sump off, I found that there was a plastic deflector that should have been attached to the oil pickup pipe that had broken into small bits (lots of them too) and blocked the pickup. I cleaned them all out, changed the oil and filter and the car was fine for another 35k miles before it was written off by a numpty who t-boned my car on a roundabout!

I think most people would be able to take a sump off and check if they really wanted / needed to, it's not too difficult, my job was made easier by the fact that I used my dads garage pit to work from, good lighting and heating in his garage too! I'm sure I would have managed by working on the car with axel stands or similar if needed, it's just easier for access if your standing whilst working as opposed to working whilst on your back.

Imteyaz.
    Last edited by Imteyaz; 13th February 2009 at 19:45.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for that update! It's given me some peace of mind. I plan on starting doing\learning some mechanical work on the car in the summer when it's warmer ...so maybe I'll take a look at it then.