FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi All,

I really hope someone can shed some light on this one for me, as it's truly fried my head! [Alcoholic or other compensation available within a limited radius! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ]

As some of you may have already read, I've just done a total audio re-fit in my lil' baby... It's all pretty much done now, head unit replaced, speakers replaced/added, new wiring laid, wiring to doors replaced, roof-mount antenna replaced, sound deadening fitted, etc... - all that's left now is a bit of interior re-assembly.

I came to notice an interesting issue that's appeared recently though, and I'm not sure whether it's been a direct result of the audio install (something is no longer connected that needs to be) or in-direct (might have pressed a button, flipped a switch, or blocked a ground while doing something else), or even totally unrelated (I am a realist though (sometimes) - so I think this last one is pretty unlikely).

After reading about people having total-closure on their A3s, I decided I'd go try it on my recently-purchased 98R... All was well with the key, turn and hold and everything shut, go the other way and the windows roll down... I then tried with the remote, and again, it was all good. I then wandered away with a cheeky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif because I'd found a toy I didn't know I had.

I left the driver's side window open the other day when I put her back in the garage, and held the button on the remote to close it... Nothing happened.

I've checked and double-checked pretty much everything I can think of, I've even done the daft things like given the battery a full charge; I discounted fuses or anything like that because surely if the electric windows both work, the electric roof works, and it locks/unlocks off the remote all the fuses required to close/open windows off the remote would be good.

It's all no-go with the key too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm desperate for any suggestions, as I'm starting to go a little nuts now!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Rob.

Have you dislodged a wire whilst fitting your new speaker cable in your front door. If you have a haynes manual it will tell you which wire does the comfort close / open. Check that there is a voltage when activated and that it isn't shorted to earth. It does sound to me like you've dislodged a cable so have a look over it. Check that the array of connectors near the door on the inside are all connected properly (on my a4 it is under a plastic trim).

When the window was open and your intial attempt at closing the window on the remote failed, did you just keep pressing the lock button on the remote? if so try it again but if it doesn't work to start with try unlocking the car with the remote and then holding the lock button.

Maybe I've grasped the wrong end of the stick with the above...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ok, first of all. Well done on the sounds. i bet your well chuffed its all in now mate.

i have a 97R and this feature does not work on mine only when the key is in the lock. However it can be switched on using vag-com (i dont know how to though, soz). maybe you just reset it somehow?

Did total closure work before from the remote?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:

i have a 97R and this feature does not work on mine only when the key is in the lock. However it can be switched on using vag-com (i dont know how to though, soz). maybe you just reset it somehow?

Did total closure work before from the remote?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reset, basically the soft coding allows you to switch the feature on or off.

And by the sounds of it, he had it working off of the remote before....

ok didnt know that...cheers!

yeah, though he might have....but you know some people!

no offence intended to anyone

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
but you know some people!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only too well, having solve technical issues with some people who just don't know their **** from their elbow!! Having to explain that a forklift has four wheels and forks on the front just takes the pi$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Guys please just hold on and all get on the same page will you....you were managing to confuse each other and well on your way to doing me as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You are talking about two seperate functions here;
1. Windows up and down with remote - This is a feature set by changing the coding of the Central locking module via VAG-COM or similar tooling.

2. One touch up and down of windows from inside the car - This is a standard feature on all A3/A4 power windows, and is enabled by switching the ignition on and holding the 'window up' button in the up position for approximately 5 seconds (Owners manual gives different procedure, but mine is the quickest IMO). This feature is lost if the battery is disconnected, but can soon be re-enabled using the procedure detailed.

I hope that clarifies things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My fault over the confusion - I was just wondering if the window-control-via-keyfob was something that could be set without VAG-COM. Sounds like that's a no.