S3 - Twanging noise from steering.

Redline1984

Reaction score
Went out to drive my S3 this afternoon, as I was driving along there was a very loud twang noise from the front end, accompanied by vibrations through the steering column.

Turned it straight round and come home; essentially about 1 turn of lock either right or left, it makes the twanging noise along with the vibration.

Any ideas hugely appreciated!

Not the bearings by any chance is it?Check steering rack also cv boot

It'll more than likely be a broken spring matey...I had exactly the same thing a few weeks back. Audi springs appear to be made from cheese and it's very common for them to break. It was also suggested that it might be a broken top mount.

I replaced all my shocks and springs and am quite glad I did as it turned out that both rear springs were broken as well..3 in total!!

Yup, you would be correct about the broken spring!

Found 3 inches of the front offside spring snapped at the base, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

Question now is whether to just replace the fronts with stock items, or go for some aftermarket ones.

My instinct would be to say upgrade while you're in this position. Only a matter of time before this happens to me so interested to hear how it goes, shouldn't be too much bother though I'd imagine?

I think I may well go for the upgraded route.

Spoke to Teesside Audi today, who told me that there are 6 different variants of spring for the S3, identified by blobs of paint on the spring. Nothing is ever simple on this car I swear!!