How easy is an engine swap?

SammA3

Reaction score
right

I'm contemplating an engine swap on my 1.8 tqs (ajq) to an s3 lump

What exactly do I require in a replacement engine?

I'm pretty new to the world of audis and £ per bhp I think this is the more sensible option

hi matey, I'm new to audi's 2, just a quick question, why swap? what bhp you planning on with the new engine?

Hi mate

Well my current engine should have 180bhp which with a £300 remap will take me to around 200bhp

Anymore and I need to change the turbo for a k03s which can see 230-240bhp

So I'm looking at around £800 to get my current setup upto around 230 when an s3 engine comes out of the box with 225bhp

My exhaust manifold is also blowing so that another expense to get car upto 200bhp

Mileage on my current engine is 117k so I'm a bit wary of how far to push it

why not go straight for the ko4 turbo, and bigger injectors?

I'm sure some one will shoot me down in flames, but i think the ko4-001 is a direct replacement for the ko3. don't know what the standard internals will take power wise tho.

edit: i've just seen your mileage, maybe a good reason to swap.

Indeed the k04-001 is similar to the k03s, so in your case don't bother.
You could fit a k04-021, 022, 023. These are the variants fitted to the S3/TT/Leon Cupra R. There are lots of second hand parts available to fit them as upgrading to big Subaru or Garrett turbos are now fairly common place. If you go that route, then you might as well get a k04-02x hybrid which could give you 300bhp. You need to replace the exhaust manifold, downpipe, injectors, inlet etc for the S3/TT/Leon parts. A FMIC would be a good idea and then you have to have a remap on top.

Any of the 1.8T engines can take around 350bhp and similar torque figures if the map is good and isn't set to give too much low rev torque or too high rev power. Over that and you need to think about uprating the engine internals.

The bottom line is, you don't have to swap the whole engine to up your power.

Main thing is you choose your planned power level and then buy the right parts to get there. Do it once, do it right etc.

If your car is high milage, then tuners will tell you to renew piston rings and bearing, but to be honest lots of people run high mile engines and have no problems. I'm at 320bhp with 180000 miles. If it's not burning oil or making weird noises, then don't worry. The tuners like to cover their backs of course.

thank you very much

I'm not looking for topline power figures but enough to keep up with mates in there jap's

I'd be over the moon with 300bhp and torque to match

don't forget your brakes if you are going to get that much power.

good idea!

I'm firstly getting suspension done

I've bought a set of kw coilovers and looking at arbs, braces and bushes

First get it handling and stoping right then add power