Checking QUATTRO engine mounts??

dannyb13

Reaction score
Hi All,

please be easy, new to Audi's :salute:

i recently bought a 1.8T QUATTRO, been driving the car a few days and so far i'm impressed. Formally (well i still am a vauxhall owner)

I have a few minor problem that i wanna sort out,

1st, is a knocking sound from the front left wheel, i suspecting a bush or drop link bar, any ideas on this? it's nothing excessively loud, but it's there and thing like that annoy the hell out of me

2nd, I'm also thinking maybe a engine mount is shot. my reasoning is when accelerating i can feel the gearstick move about a 1cm forward, and also "juddering" some times when slowing down.
with it been QUATTRO, can i put it in gear and clutch it, looking for movement? i know this works for FWD cars, also where are all the mounts located? as i havent really looked?

Open your engine bay and grab hold of the engine. Can you move it in the fore and aft direction? Get someone to rev it up and watch the engine. It shouldn't move much.

There is a company called INA engineering (they sell out of 034 motorsport) that produce uprated mounts for a very good price. You might only need a stronger dogbone mount which connects the lower rear of the engine to the subframe. This will really help gear changes, but may transmit more vibration into the car depending on the choice of bushing material and rubber duro hardness.

Can't say much on the knocking. Best to get under there and start pulling on things.

Open your engine bay and grab hold of the engine. Can you move it in the fore and aft direction? Get someone to rev it up and watch the engine. It shouldn't move much.

There is a company called INA engineering (they sell out of 034 motorsport) that produce uprated mounts for a very good price. You might only need a stronger dogbone mount which connects the lower rear of the engine to the subframe. This will really help gear changes, but may transmit more vibration into the car depending on the choice of bushing material and rubber duro hardness.

Can't say much on the knocking. Best to get under there and start pulling on things.

cheers matey, yeah, going to have a play about this weekend.

check your wishbone bushes for knocking mate

look for grease on the inside of the wheel which is knocking...sign of cv joint gaitor split.

Also check bottom ball joint for play, had mine go this week and it was knocking like mad.