Volks AutosBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Checking QUATTRO engine mounts??

Hi All,

please be easy, new to Audi's

i recently bought a 1.8T QUATTRO, been driving the car a few days and so far i'm impressed. Formally (well i still am a vauxhall owner)

I have a few minor problem that i wanna sort out,

1st, is a knocking sound from the front left wheel, i suspecting a bush or drop link bar, any ideas on this? it's nothing excessively loud, but it's there and thing like that annoy the hell out of me

2nd, I'm also thinking maybe a engine mount is shot. my reasoning is when accelerating i can feel the gearstick move about a 1cm forward, and also "juddering" some times when slowing down.
    with it been QUATTRO, can i put it in gear and clutch it, looking for movement? i know this works for FWD cars, also where are all the mounts located? as i havent really looked?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    anyone?

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Open your engine bay and grab hold of the engine. Can you move it in the fore and aft direction? Get someone to rev it up and watch the engine. It shouldn't move much.

There is a company called INA engineering (they sell out of 034 motorsport) that produce uprated mounts for a very good price. You might only need a stronger dogbone mount which connects the lower rear of the engine to the subframe. This will really help gear changes, but may transmit more vibration into the car depending on the choice of bushing material and rubber duro hardness.

Can't say much on the knocking. Best to get under there and start pulling on things.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    Open your engine bay and grab hold of the engine. Can you move it in the fore and aft direction? Get someone to rev it up and watch the engine. It shouldn't move much.

There is a company called INA engineering (they sell out of 034 motorsport) that produce uprated mounts for a very good price. You might only need a stronger dogbone mount which connects the lower rear of the engine to the subframe. This will really help gear changes, but may transmit more vibration into the car depending on the choice of bushing material and rubber duro hardness.

Can't say much on the knocking. Best to get under there and start pulling on things.
    cheers matey, yeah, going to have a play about this weekend.

2nd Gear

Status
    check your wishbone bushes for knocking mate

Status
    look for grease on the inside of the wheel which is knocking...sign of cv joint gaitor split.

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    Also check bottom ball joint for play, had mine go this week and it was knocking like mad.
    Black S3

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    .......and make sure the engine does not move like the one in this vid

Skip to 1m 15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOqfA4YiCs
    Last edited by HTC; 5th February 2009 at 10:37.