Considering an Audi A3- lots of questions :D

DelBoyUK

Reaction score
Hi there!

In my never ending search for my next car, it seems an A3 is a good choice.

I am currently 19 and it seems the 1.6 Sport is the best choice (would love the 1.8 Turbo, but taking into account the issue of insurance, it isnt exactly viable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Any information on what the engines are like, overall reliablity , build quality, common problems...

Also I believe there are 2 different phases between the 1997-2003 A3, any info on that would be great! (and pics if possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Also are they expensive to repair?

I would probably be looking at a 1998-1999 model /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( 3 door)

Does anyone have any decent pictures of the interior of the A3?

Also if I was to buy an A3 today how much am I likely to lose in depreciation over 2 years? (just as a rough idea, obviously wont expect it to be completely accurate)

Any other info would be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif

Hi mate this is my 52plate Tdi sport 130bhp.

Had my TDi 130 quattro for a month now,wish I'd bought it years ago,and I've just come from a 300bhp Scooby.Getting 45mpg with tons of grunt to go with it.... Very pleased with it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Regards Blackwood

Are they expensive to repair: do you intend crashing it a lot ? If so maybe a bumper car would be a better choice.

I'd probably say they ain't cheap to repair, but probably don't break as often nor as easy as a ford....it kind of balances itself out in that case then.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
Are they expensive to repair: do you intend crashing it a lot ? If so maybe a bumper car would be a better choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm no?, lol

General wear and tear m8, replacing service parts, alternators, cambelts (if audi use them), if a central locking module or something similar went, would that be expensive?

Get the idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
I'd probably say they ain't cheap to repair, but probably don't break as often nor as easy as a ford....it kind of balances itself out in that case then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yep I see,

I think I just have a really bad pre-conception of audi pricing, for example when a friends car needed a new chrome mirror from audi, I think it cost about £400 odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yep I see,

I think I just have a really bad pre-conception of audi pricing, for example when a friends car needed a new chrome mirror from audi, I think it cost about £400 odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes - well that's because he went to audi (silly boy) there are plenty of places cheaper that that www.vagparts.com being the major one on the net - they can get you nearly ANYTHING and much cheaper than the stealers. (their web doesn't show all the stuff they do, so if u think it looks a bit bare, don't panic, you can always call them - why don't you and compare the price of the chrome mirror.)

check for the obvious on any car, fsh, general condition, optional extras involved? if in doubt walk away - I searched AGES for mine, and nearly bought a WELL dodgy one, a week later I found mine for £500 more, but 30k less on the clock - fsh, leather, climate control, blah blah - so hold out for what ya want bud - you won't regret it!

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The chrome mirrors are a bit of a rip off (in more sense than one as can be confirmed by those that have had them nicked). Its almost like they have 'Please Steal Me & Sell Me On E-bay" written on them.

DelBoyUK,just have a look through the pages of the forum one by one,you can then get a clearer picture of wheather to buy an A3.

i have a 99 quattro turbo,and have had at least 9 different problems with mine,if you go to a dealer,it will cost you a fortune.

don't expect an Audi to be ultra reliable,like i did.

just my honest opinion.

DelBoyUK,

I know the position of insurance.

I'm 18 and driving a S-reg Audi 1.6 Sport.

Insurance wise, I have just started my own policy, no NCB and it's costing £1500 with Elephant. Performance; I'm pretty happy with mine, people around my age are driving clapped out Fiesta's so it also gets a few good looks. It isn't the fastest car on the road, but it ain't slow either.

I'm getting about 35-40 mpg out of it at the moment. Haven't had any problems (touch wood) so far with it, but it only has 16,000 miles on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Can't you up to a 1.8? I've only driven my 1.8T out of this lot, but I gather the 1.6 is ultra slow, looking at performance figures. The 1.8 only manages average 1.6 Focus type figures even then.

[ QUOTE ]
1600sport said:
DelBoyUK,

I know the position of insurance.

I'm 18 and driving a S-reg Audi 1.6 Sport.

Insurance wise, I have just started my own policy, no NCB and it's costing £1500 with Elephant. Performance; I'm pretty happy with mine, people around my age are driving clapped out Fiesta's so it also gets a few good looks. It isn't the fastest car on the road, but it ain't slow either.

I'm getting about 35-40 mpg out of it at the moment. Haven't had any problems (touch wood) so far with it, but it only has 16,000 miles on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

MPG sounds about average, I was originally looking at a 1.8 Astra 2001 reg, as they seem to be well built (obv not Audi style build) and were pretty nippy 0-60 in 8.5 secs on grp 8 insurance, but just feel they are a bit too common on UK roads and they will depreciate badly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I currently have a MK3 Astra 1.4 MPI, and find that a bit slow, I think the 0-60 on that is 12.4 seconds, so hopefully the A3 would be noticeably better than my current car. Do you get a good amount of torque through all gears? or does it die out at about 60 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
paul_brad said:
Can't you up to a 1.8? I've only driven my 1.8T out of this lot, but I gather the 1.6 is ultra slow, looking at performance figures. The 1.8 only manages average 1.6 Focus type figures even then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love a 1.8, but from memory thats a grp 11 car and my insurer only allows me up to grp 10 at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (which is exactly what the 1.6 sport is).

I think the 1.6 has a 0-60 of 10.6 and 1.8 0-60 in 9.3 secs (also ive heard the 1.8 is a lot smoother)

The focus 1.6 is exactly the same as the audi 1.6, (I was looking at the Golfs as well, but they seem to be very slow, with the 2.0 gti coming in at 10.2 secs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif and also many reports of poor reliability on the mk4 golf)

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yep I see,

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes - well that's because he went to audi (silly boy) there are plenty of places cheaper that that www.vagparts.com being the major one on the net - they can get you nearly ANYTHING and much cheaper than the stealers. (their web doesn't show all the stuff they do, so if u think it looks a bit bare, don't panic, you can always call them - why don't you and compare the price of the chrome mirror.)

check for the obvious on any car, fsh, general condition, optional extras involved? if in doubt walk away - I searched AGES for mine, and nearly bought a WELL dodgy one, a week later I found mine for £500 more, but 30k less on the clock - fsh, leather, climate control, blah blah - so hold out for what ya want bud - you won't regret it!

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah excellent I was hoping audi owners had something like this as well, the prices seem fair for the limited range that is on there, but as you said anything I need just give them a ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:

Ah excellent I was hoping audi owners had something like this as well, the prices seem fair for the limited range that is on there, but as you said anything I need just give them a ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ma man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My A3 TS has a black dash and its 97P.

Anyone know if the 1.6 se/sport has the dark dash?

Its an option just like paint colour or seat fabric, most will be dark colouts (black etc).

I didnt know you could get anything other than the black dash? light sounds lame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bit of advice, dont buy that one. Take your time to find one that you will want to drive.

Definetely not going for that one, as soon as I saw the bumper I was going to leave it, then that rear panel, then the dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Found a couple of good ones

S reg with 35k miles but its black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (think I prefer the ming blue)

And another bloke who has the same car but with 45k miles wants an extra £1k !, but im sure if I point out his price is a bit unrealistic he wont believe me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But if someone was to offer me £8k right now, i would probably take it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
i saw a nice clean 1.8 T on my way to wrok this morning. In black looked very clean. I'll try and find out how much it is tomorrow evening.

mines ming blue. check out the colour

www.mingblus3.plus.com

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm thats lovely, just wait till im older, thats mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
But if someone was to offer me £8k right now, i would probably take it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or £7K in standard form /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:

And another bloke who has the same car but with 45k miles wants an extra £1k !, but im sure if I point out his price is a bit unrealistic he wont believe me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ya gotta stick to ya name - DELBOY! prove ur skills, what can he say? no! feck off! tuff cr*p blah blah blah.........all experience. I went to look at a T regger with 30k on the clock - ming blue, LOTS of extras advertised, but when i got there, it was missing some (like 6 cd etc) granted it had a lot less miles on the clock, it was a wee bit ropey (which suggested it hadn't been cared for) I was worried it'd been digitally corrected mile wise, as the service history would have meant people driving a REALLY low mileage each year, also when I went to fire her over, it wouldn't start! and it was priced at 10k!!!!!! I grilled them and took LOADS of pics. The car stayed there for weeks - was nice, just they were taking the p155 with the price...

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally would try my luck (normally do anyway) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are in London though, so I dont want to travel 150 odd miles just for him to tell me to sod off and people wont take you seriously enough to consider price unless you are there standing next to the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
[ QUOTE ]
paul_brad said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love a 1.8, but from memory thats a grp 11 car and my insurer only allows me up to grp 10 at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (which is exactly what the 1.6 sport is).

I think the 1.6 has a 0-60 of 10.6 and 1.8 0-60 in 9.3 secs (also ive heard the 1.8 is a lot smoother)

The focus 1.6 is exactly the same as the audi 1.6, (I was looking at the Golfs as well, but they seem to be very slow, with the 2.0 gti coming in at 10.2 secs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif and also many reports of poor reliability on the mk4 golf)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, i got my 1.8T when i was 19... paid £2000 for insurance but it was worth it! Ifi were you, id try my hardest to get the 1.8T... The 1.8 is sluggish and the 1.6 is just plain crap! Give it a year with the 1.8T and insurance will half. A much better investment. When are you looking to buy? I might know of someone selling one for a good price.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate has a 1.8 20v turbo Cupra and granted, it is rapid but I have a special deal with my insurers (as I have a friend who works there and gets some nice discounts) whereby anything grp 10 and under means I pay a max of £400 fully comp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif. Anything over grp 10 and I wont get much of a discount due to the risk e.t.c /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Otherwise I would have that porsche 968 on my drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ya gotta stick to ya name - DELBOY! prove ur skills, what can he say? no! feck off! tuff cr*p blah blah blah.........all experience. I went to look at a T regger with 30k on the clock - ming blue, LOTS of extras advertised, but when i got there, it was missing some (like 6 cd etc) granted it had a lot less miles on the clock, it was a wee bit ropey (which suggested it hadn't been cared for) I was worried it'd been digitally corrected mile wise, as the service history would have meant people driving a REALLY low mileage each year, also when I went to fire her over, it wouldn't start! and it was priced at 10k!!!!!! I grilled them and took LOADS of pics. The car stayed there for weeks - was nice, just they were taking the p155 with the price...

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally would try my luck (normally do anyway) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are in London though, so I dont want to travel 150 odd miles just for him to tell me to sod off and people wont take you seriously enough to consider price unless you are there standing next to the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your budget mate?

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your budget mate?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was looking around the 6k mark on the 1.6, but anything up to about 7.5k for something newer and if I really like it (such as ming blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Went for a test drive again today (this time I actually managed to drive it as they had more than 1 person in, so one left to look after the forecourt)

Love that key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Clutch is not overly sharp like some of the japanese cars and very similar to my astra.

The brakes are very sharp and when I got back into my old car, it was quite odd.

Good acceleration (not mind blowing but not slow either)

The ride seemed more safe rather than exciting to me, it didnt excite me, which my current car does (well more so than the audi), though that could be sorted with different suspension I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This one had the nicer dash and climate control which I liked, but I still wonder about the quality of the smaller plastics, such as the darker plastics round the cd surround, the buttons on the climate control and the headlight switch, all felt cheap and most was shiny plastic? overall it was very nice, but just the smaller touches dont seem to be well thought out.

Nice Car Overall though, 90% sure I still want one, but would have liked the WHOLE dash to be quality, rather than 80% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - agreed, I was DEAD lucky with the buy of my car though! The chappy I bought it off was ACE!! Dead friendly and really helpful. He took loads of pics, for me, answered ALL questions (and believe me - I ASKED [censored] LOADS!!!) he brought the car to me from london (was up 4 inspection and hpi's etc etc) really nice chap. Even posted me an audi keyring a month or so later as it was a prezie from his parents - top fella! Anyone else would have not have been so keen, they wouldn't have wanted all the hassle from me, Rich is right, it's different when ya standing next to the car - guess that's the one lucky thing for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - agreed, I was DEAD lucky with the buy of my car though! The chappy I bought it off was ACE!! Dead friendly and really helpful. He took loads of pics, for me, answered ALL questions (and believe me - I ASKED [censored] LOADS!!!) he brought the car to me from london (was up 4 inspection and hpi's etc etc) really nice chap. Even posted me an audi keyring a month or so later as it was a prezie from his parents - top fella! Anyone else would have not have been so keen, they wouldn't have wanted all the hassle from me, Rich is right, it's different when ya standing next to the car - guess that's the one lucky thing for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i didnt say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif did ya not? D'oh! soz man, easily confused!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

you wanna lay off the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, actually i hold my head in shame for suggesting that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif did ya not? D'oh! soz man, easily confused!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it was me you quoted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cant blame you, was a good post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif