A question about different types of tyres!

Mr.G

Reaction score
As title says.

I have Pirelli P Zero Rosso x 4 on my S3 at the moment. I've had the tyres before and what i'm wondering is what other tyres are you lads running, what differences have you noticed, and have any of you changed from P zero's to anything else and had better results.

4K miles off mine on the front. ****** terrible that is! I'm swaying towards sticking with the P zero as i like uniformity and don't wanna splash out and waste money by getting 4 new tyres when i only need 2.

Thanks in advance lads, appreciate any comments or advice any of you have!

G:arco:

well depends what you want i love michelin pilot sport 2 handle really well and last a good time better than my dunlop and Pirelli P6000 ..

Im running 2 x dunlop Sp9000's and... just fitted 2 goodyear eagle F1's. the goodyears are.... GOOD lol

I just want a good tyre which will grip when supposed to and not wear excessively to quickly.

I had a bad experience with Toyo TS1's, whereby a wrote a new S3 off, someone pulled out on me and the car just slid everywhere when i swerved to aviod the collision.

I guess any advice is better than none, so anything that anyone has to share with me on this would be fantastic. I'm gonna go get 2 tyres tomorrow so want to be informed before i make a decision!

G

I Had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 when i got the car, them had a set of Toyo T1R's as they were cheap at the time. Have now moved back to a set of Eagle F1's as they are alot better in the wet than the Toyos.

Camskill have offers on tyres most of the time so there worth a look if you dont mind getting them fitted your self, I paid £290 for 4 Eagle F1's

By the time you get them fitted its gonna bump that price up anyway not many tyre places like fitting your own tyres .

The 2007 Autocar tyre test
The tyres on test were (in overall results order):
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
3) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
4) Continental Contisport Contact 3
5) Pirelli PZero Nero / Rosso

I Had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 when i got the car, them had a set of Toyo T1R's as they were cheap at the time. Have now moved back to a set of Eagle F1's as they are alot better in the wet than the Toyos.

Camskill have offers on tyres most of the time so there worth a look if you dont mind getting them fitted your self, I paid £290 for 4 Eagle F1's

how did u get them for £290 ?

£322.96 Plus p&p on site plus none left ...

I have michelin ps2's on the front and good year f1 assymetric's on the rears.

Pretty soon i'm going for the good years on the front aswell. Really good grip, especially in the wet.

I paid about £90 each for the good years, with no vat. The ps2's were on it when i bought it.

I was thinking of getting some Avon ZZ3's in the next week or two for the front of my S3, anyone got these on or had experience of them, I have heard alot of good things about the, so might be worth looking into them dude.

I had some ZV3's on my old A3 and they were a very good tyre, very good grip and wear rate.

Paradas spec 2's
DSCF2309.jpg

Are the Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3's any good, has anyone got any experience or reviews of them please????

I've had Eagle F1's on my S3 since i bought it, they are very good!

Michelin PS2's all round on mine. They're great. I swore by them on the M3 too.

Costco have an offer on at the moment. Just got all 4 fitted for £420 (225/40/18)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Assymetric, which is better????

New tyres.....

Do they go on the front or back???

If your just getting 2 new tyres I would put them on the front as it's primarily a front wheel drive car and that is where you'll need more grip and where tyre wear is slightly faster. Just my 2p.

Cheers Thorsy,

I have been advised that the newer tread should always be put on the back, as you can control the front with the steering wheel and the weight is on the fornt, therefore more grip required at the back.

Thats my understanding or advise that I have been given, can anyone else advise please????

Cheers
Nilz

Never heard this before, but i've ordered my tyres for a fitting at half 3 so would like to know by then if possible. Get the garage to swap all my tyres over if need be!

G

Suppose that makes sense as the weight is at the front with the engine.
I would just prefer more grip at the front as that is where most of the traction is and if the back end starts to go you've got the haldex and the ESP to help sort things out. But both arguements/solutions make sense to me.

Eagle F1's are brilliant although they do wear quick. I have had 3 sets on and really liked them. Tried P Zero rossos but they did not feel very grippy to me.

I was thinking of getting some Avon ZZ3's in the next week or two for the front of my S3, anyone got these on or had experience of them, I have heard alot of good things about the, so might be worth looking into them dude.

I have ZZ3s on the front of my Focus. They're a great performing tyre, and especially in the wet, but don't last very long. I think I got about 10k out of the last pair compared to 15k with the standard Conti SC3s.

I've just got a slow puncture in my nsf GY Eagle Assymetric on my S3 but none of my local garages stock the size... it's been 3 days and have yet to find a supplier, but I'll hold out if only to keep the same tyre on all 4 corners.

I just got two new rear tyres, and as I had put two Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric on the front after doing LOTS of reading, I decided to do the same on the rear. Car now goes around corners loads better, and lots of grip.
Got mine from Camskills, as they have been good in the past, good price [+/- 95] and quick delivery.
On cost, bear in mind different sizes will have different costs [never sure why as 17/18 cant be that much more/less rubber] so prices you may not get the same price, and they do an XL version [94Y] with extra load weight, and a slightly re-enforced side wall.

Bottom line, get good tyres, who cares what they cost, they are your only contact with teh road, and as stated above, could save you a wright off.