Newbie with first time questions!

ScottSummerhayes

Reaction score
Im going to apologies right away because i expect these questions come up once a week, but bare with me! Im currently 19 looking for a A3, i have about 4G to spend on the car and about 1 G for the first mods.

Im going to be getting either a 1.6 or 1.8 SE/Sport (Black, Silver or Grey colour), which i know seem super slow compaired to the 1.8T or S3 (that many of you drive) but i cant, nor will i pay stupid insurance...so for my questions:

1) What should i look out for when buying a used Audi, common problems? Rust? millage? electrics?

2) what are the best size and offset alloys to fit? and should i stretch some rubber or not? (they will be RS4 reps, powder-coated mat Black) also keep in mind i will be lowering and spacing the wheels out.

3) How low should i take my A3 with-out compromising handling?

4) Where can i get a S-Line Body kit from?

5) Is an engine transplant hard, going from a 1.6/8 to the 1.8t? i have a fully fitted out garage with ramp.

6) I currently have about a grands worth of audio in my current car, how hard will this be to fit into the audi? (Single Din head, 2x amps, 17cm compon w/ 1" tweeters, 6x9's, sub)

That should be all for now :)

Cheers

I dont know about the other stuff, but i like to think i know my audio abit! and id say bint he chavy 6X9 speakers... specialy if you have the sub!! amped up front components are by far enough if you have a decent set, and the 6x9's will just ruin it! and look gash! lol

From what i have read (not tried on mine as of yet) taking the door cards off and fitting new speakers is not that hard, you will just need some speaker mounts to get ur aftermarket ones to fit correctly in the audi's doors!

From what i have read (not tried on mine as of yet) taking the door cards off and fitting new speakers is not that hard, you will just need some speaker mounts to get ur aftermarket ones to fit correctly in the audi's doors!
Nice and easy then, same as when i fitted them into my car now. is there space for the tweeters?

I know amp'd components are usually enough, but i like the fill effect of rear 6x9's (dont worry they are in proper solid rear 1/4's, not the carboard boot-cover like the chav's in there nova's!) normally i fade using the HU to 70/30 (Front/Rear). but i can lose them if there isnt the space, my car now is much bigger!

EDIT: Just looked at the adaptors are to fit 13cm speakers :( i have 17cm! is there anyway at all, or am i doomed to spend another load of £££

I dont see you needing them in the A3 to be honest!

And yeah, looks like you will ether have to get some 13's or make a custom door pod to fit the 17's! which i personaly would do haha

I have not yet got to the stage of doing my ICE yet as i only got my A3 the other day haha

Why not get a 1.9TDI (130bhp) ?
It'll be cheaper to run than a Naturally Aspirated 1.8 and it'll be quicker too! :happy:

look out for the cambelt and waterpump done for 60,000 miles or 5 years,coilpacks are an issue and rust on the bottom of doors and by the roofrails

4) Where can i get a S-Line Body kit from?
5) Is an engine transplant hard, going from a 1.6/8 to the 1.8t? i have a fully fitted out garage with ramp.
seriously dude, why bother??
firsly you WILL have to tell your insurance company in order not to void it when you or someone else crashes it / into it. and secondly, is it really worth the hassle?

And yeah, looks like you will ether have to get some 13's or make a custom door pod to fit the 17's! which i personaly would do haha

I have not yet got to the stage of doing my ICE yet as i only got my A3 the other day haha

I think i will just sell my 17's on and get some 13's! can be bothered with the hassle of custom door pods etc..

How do you like your A3 also? what's the drive like?

Why not get a 1.9TDI (130bhp) ?
It'll be cheaper to run than a Naturally Aspirated 1.8 and it'll be quicker too!

Because im sure they are the same (if not higher) group insurance as the 1.8T! group 14 or something...

look out for the cambelt and waterpump done for 60,000 miles or 5 years,coilpacks are an issue and rust on the bottom of doors and by the roofrails

Many thanks! i will look out for those problems. How can i check the coil-pack? misfires?

seriously dude, why bother??
firsly you WILL have to tell your insurance company in order not to void it when you or someone else crashes it / into it. and secondly, is it really worth the hassle?

Thats why i was asking how hard it is, it wouldn't be that much of a gain but its something different that i can say i did myself (what have you done lately?)...and i wont comment on the insurance, dont want to start a massive debate/arguement.

its amazing to drive!! one of the best cars i have ever driven...

Then again iv only driven a few cars.... Saxo, Astra MK4, New Civic, new Landrover, and MK4 Golf...

and yeah, 13's will still be good and will be much less hassle! :)

good to hear! I cant wait to get mine, im like a kid at Christmas! ha...

the hardest part is finding one, but i can understand why no one wants to sell them!

Thats why i was asking how hard it is, it wouldn't be that much of a gain but its something different that i can say i did myself (what have you done lately?)...and i wont comment on the insurance, dont want to start a massive debate/arguement.

hey i wasnt having a go at ya. just saying if you goto all that trouble of dropping in a 1.8T engine / running gear / brakes. why not just buy the car in the first place? it always baffles me why people do there cars up like a top end car when its much easier to buy the car in the first place as your insurance company will have to be notified about ur upgrades and not to mention you`ll have a job on selling it when it says "1.6" on the log book. weird.

just do what i did, i got my 1st A3 when i was 20, i got a 1.8 SE had that just over two years to build up my NCB then got a A3 20v Trubo when i was 22 had that ten month and then i thought stuff it its time!! and got my S3.

just do what i did, i got my 1st A3 when i was 20, i got a 1.8 SE had that just over two years to build up my NCB then got a A3 20v Trubo when i was 22 had that ten month and then i thought stuff it its time!! and got my S3.

Wise words my friend.

I looking at one today, at about 12. its a:

Audi A3 1.8 sport 2003 (Face-lift), Dolphin grey, 3 door, 56K Full Audi Service History, totally Stock with all the usual stuff.

Its going for £3600. Hopefully i will be the proud owner tonight (as long as its perfect :) ) and my insurance only went up £200 bargain!

Seriously mate i wouldnt touch a 1.6/1.8 Na with a bargepole. I was in the same situation as you at your age and thought why waste money on the N/A.

I was 17 and bought the 1.8T granted it was alot of money to insure but im now 19 with 1NCB and im paying 900 for insurance.

I wouldnt bother if i were you the extra money you'll pay on insurance you'll save from changing cars 10 months down the line.

Go for the 1.8T You wont be dissapointed :D

Jason

The one that i looked at today was a ******* shead! and he wanted top money! yeahh rightt...

£3800 and you can have my 1.9TDI 130bhp, and the money you save on fuel will make up for your insurance ;]

im gunna have to agree with jason (a3_turbo) the non turbo models of the A3 are guttless, and trust me unless you've played around with engine conversions and such before then dont even think about doing it on the a3, its alot of work.. my opinion, spend abit less on the car to get yourself a 1.8T and put the money towards insurance, then if the car needs cosmetic work you can always fix it over time.. but definatly recomend starting with a 1.8t.. so much more you can do with them.. and once you start playing around with things on your A3 you'll get to a point where you've spent loads of money on it and it will all be to waste as its still as slow as fakh.

Yep agree with jason and shy19s totally, i was in a similar position when it came to choosing between 1.8T sport and an s3 in the end i went for the 1.8T but always found myself longing for an s3 so 10 months later i swapped it losing a fortune, so i would say like the others if you can try and be patient maybe save up a bit longer you will see the benefits for sure, you'll probably end up saving money in the long run, just my 2p

Yep agree with jason and shy19s totally, i was in a similar position when it came to choosing between 1.8T sport and an s3 in the end i went for the 1.8T but always found myself longing for an s3 so 10 months later i swapped it losing a fortune, so i would say like the others if you can try and be patient maybe save up a bit longer you will see the benefits for sure, you'll probably end up saving money in the long run, just my 2p

i know you guys are just voicing your opinion, but can you stop telling me to get a 1.8t or the TDI's. Im with direct line and they wont even insure me AT ALL on a 1.8 sport as i found out today! but for some reason a 1.8 SE or lower is fine (only £1000 a year)

I have no idea why, im 19 with no years clames but no crashes or points plus i've held my license for about 2 1/2 years now....

apartly no one under 21 will be insured on anything in or above group 12...

whats that about???

Also again, sorry for the swearing.

Id ditch your insurance company then if i were you,

When i was 17 started off with an old 318is BM with Tesco's i bought the audi and they wouldnt insure me until i was 21.

I think i got insured with Zurich or something when i was 17, now im 20 and im with Adrian flux.

Trust me get yourself a 1.8T you'll get a decent one for alot lower than 3800 and put the rest towards insurance. Buying a 1.8 n/a Is a no brainer, gutless and crap if im being totally honest. No offence to people who have 1.8Se's etc.

Ditch your insurance company and get yourself a 1.8T

Job done :D

Jason

i know you guys are just voicing your opinion, but can you stop telling me to get a 1.8t or the TDI's. Im with direct line and they wont even insure me AT ALL on a 1.8 sport

2 things here. what makes you think by your first post that you will get insurance by dropping in a 1.8T engine?. i can only asume your trying to cheat the insurance by not telling them if you already no you cant get insurance?

secondly maybe theres a reason that they wont unsure someone of your age on that car. more likely to trash it maybe?

• ONE in three young male drivers will write off a car in their first year of driving. Young women are half as likely to do so.
• ONE-QUARTER of the convictions for causing death by dangerous driving are for drivers under 20
• ONE-QUARTER of drivers under 21 who have an accident lose control of their car.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/article.html?in_article_id=402899&in_page_id=35

Fatal crash jailing
On Monday, David Rogerson, 22, and Robert McCartney, 24, were jailed for eight years each for killing four teenage girls when their cars crashed.
The pair were racing at speed when they crashed into the same tree, killing four young passengers, Hull Crown Court heard. Judge Michael Mettyear told the court: "This is truly a terrible case. It is yet another example of young men driving too fast and dangerously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4871854.stm

my 2 cents.

scottsummerhayes, i have the 1.8 20v sport non turbo, and i always regret getting it and not getting the 1.8T. i was orginally with direct line and they wouldnt insure me so i went with admiral and got a really good price for me a3 and the 1.8T is only about £50 more to insure then what i am paying now, i am 18 years old aswell, so its not easy to insuere these cars young, but the best thing i did was get rid of direct line, i also like you have no years no claims and i havnt had a crash on nothing and iv been driving for over 1 1/2 years.

Yeah unfortunatly insurance is expensive until you reach an age where they feel your more suited to own it (25 for group 20's I think), I wanted an E46 M3 a while back, at 23 the car wasnt so much of a problem but the insurance was about £3800 so I couldnt! Oddly a Skyline R34 was cheaper to insure if I remember... Thing about these cars is theyve reached a price where young people (18/19) can afford them but the insurance is still at a massive premium because of the badge.

i know you guys are just voicing your opinion, but can you stop telling me to get a 1.8t or the TDI's. Im with direct line and they wont even insure me AT ALL on a 1.8 sport as i found out today! but for some reason a 1.8 SE or lower is fine (only £1000 a year)

I have no idea why, im 19 with no years clames but no crashes or points plus i've held my license for about 2 1/2 years now....

whats that about???

Also again, sorry for the swearing.

Yup definitely get rid of that insurance company, sounds like they just don't want that type of business [young kid fast car].

I was driving a VTS at 19 [yeah ok my insurance was around £1200 but at least they insured me].
I'm currently with Adrian Flux, they're great for modified cars, they'll replace your car like for like and won't usually charge extra for any non-performance mods :happy:

Thanks for all your great advice guys!

I will shop around and see what i can get insurance wise, Im not in a massive rush because i currently have a perfectly good car!

do you think its worth me holding off like 2 months until i cross the magic age of 20?

the magic age is 25. then ya insurance drops like a sack of s***

Fatal crash jailing
On Monday, David Rogerson, 22, and Robert McCartney, 24, were jailed for eight years each for killing four teenage girls when their cars crashed.
The pair were racing at speed when they crashed into the same tree, killing four young passengers, Hull Crown Court heard. Judge Michael Mettyear told the court: "This is truly a terrible case. It is yet another example of young men driving too fast and dangerously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4871854.stm

my 2 cents.

wish this judge was able to give out sentences like this with young holigans that go out stabbing people to death on perpous, its a joke how the car driver gets such senteces they didnt go out to kill these girls but some young yob with a knife has already got insentive,

your coment has no bearing on the subject matter anyway

your coment has no bearing on the subject matter anyway

is was in relation to an earlier comment of
Just because he's young doesnt mean he can't drive....

"Man guilty of killing girlfriend in crash
Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 09:34
A DEVASTATED father, who lost his only daughter in a horrific car smash, today welcomed a jury's decision after Darren Hatfieldwas found guilty of causing the death by dangerous driving of 17-year-old Joanna Pryce.
Tearful dad Gerry Pryce, 53, of Heathfield, warned young drivers about the tragic consequences of reckless driving.
In less than two hours a jury of eight women and four men found Hatfield, 19, of Higher Roborough, guilty of killing Miss Pryce after he overtook a friend's car at high speed, lost control of his vehicle and ploughed into a tree on the A383 near the Dartmoor Halfway Inn

Witnesses at the scene recalled seeing the two cars travelling at speeds up to 75mph seconds before the crash."

car.jpg

so guess it had and no matter how you look at it, the judge made a valid point about his driving and about his lies. its a well known fact that the reason car insurance doesnt go down till your 25 is because your more likely to have a accident when your under that age. unless all the insurance companys are wrong and so are the stats?

i still dont get why he wants to drop a 1.8T engine in a car that he knows a insurance company wont insure him on? the only reason you would want to do that is to cheat the insurance company into insureing a cheaper engined car so you can have a faster one than your allowed and young drivers and fast cars with little experience of driving and immature emotions normaly spells disaster

was related only due to your topic of young drivers though,
any way i do agree that a 1.8t is to much at that age i built up from slower car to slow car to ok car then the s3 is deffinantly worth the wait,
but these accident stories arnt needed imo

i still dont get why he wants to drop a 1.8T engine in a car that he knows a insurance company wont insure him on?

Also, if he was to declare the upgrade from 1.8S to 1.8T, it would be a modified car which invariably cost more to insure than a comparable stock 1.8T car.

Cheers,

any way i do agree that a 1.8t is to much at that age i built up from slower car to slow car to ok car then the s3 is deffinantly worth the wait,

I totally agree, these accident stories aren't needed...

yeah ok fair point. i kinda went off on one i guess :icon_thumright:. just seemed to me that he wanted to cheat the insurance company as he stated he wanted to put a 1.8T engine in a 1.6 and big engines, young drivers, immature emotions usualy end up in accidents trying to show off to some tart. lol